Join Early Retirement Today

Wellesley as part of a lazy portfolio
Old 06-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wellesley as part of a lazy portfolio

Wellesley is the "dirty secret" of many passive indexers and many of us own it. So going into retirement can it be a useful part of a lazy portfolio......or would you just go with full on indexes for better diversity?

So would

25% Wellesley
25% Total Bond Index
25% International Stock Index
25% TSM

be meaningly different from

40% Total Bond Index
25% International
35% TSM

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I love Wellesley. I have stayed with the same percentages for years:

30% Wellesley (VWIAX)
20% Total Stock Market (VTSAX)
13% FTSE All World Ex-US (VFWAX)
5.5% cash

The rest is in bond funds (TSP "G Fund" and Total Bond Market VBTLX).

Oh, and I also have 1% Wellington in a tiny Roth IRA.

Somehow all this balances out to 45:55, equities:fixed. Anyway, in answer to your question I think this provides enough diversification for my tastes. I think Wellesley is a better fit for me in retirement than it was in the accumulation phase.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lots to like about Wellington and Wellesley, but I don't believe they are "passive".

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Lots to like about Wellington and Wellesley, but I don't believe they are "passive".
Exactly...that's why the are the "dirty secret" of many indexers. Well maybe not that much of a secret

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 06-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #5

When indexing and/or lazy portfolios are discussed, I tend to think of the more all-encompassing index funds or etf's such as:

Total Bond Index
International Stock Index
TSM
FTSE All World Ex-US (VFWAX)

But there are etf's that are also index funds, but specific to particular areas such as XLU (Utility index). Can funds like these have a place in a lazy portfolio? In a semi-lazy portfolio?

I am slowly heading for some sort of lazy portfolio, but I do plan on keeping my Wellesley and Wellington.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Doesn't get much lazier then to go with balanced funds like Wellington or Wellesley.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Doesn't get much lazier then to go with balanced funds like Wellington or Wellesley.
Or a mix of the two...
Old 06-11-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah, I like a little of each even though that probably doesn't make a lot of sense. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Or a mix of the two...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Yeah, I like a little of each even though that probably doesn't make a lot of sense. YMMV
+1 on holding both, and it allows us to tweak our stock to bond ratio between them w/o having to do our own rebalancing so far (been holding pretty steady at 52/48 for 8 years now).
Old 06-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #10

Once nice thing about Wellesley/Wellington is they take care of rebalancing. That makes them "lazy" in my book!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My personal couch potato portfolio is 50/50 Wellesley and Welington, set and forget. I retired almost a year ago and portfolio is up 10.25% since July 1 of last year. I'm happy and so far have resisted tinkering. Last year, Wellesley outperformed Wellington. This year it is the opposite. Yes, I wish I had more equity and international exposure this year but I don't want to join the market timer group and think I can outsmart the market.
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #12

We have a mix of Index funds (eg: VG S&P500) and Wellesley.

Wellesley is my 'sleep well at night' fund. Worst year ever was down something like 9.5%. No huge drops..~10% avg annual return since inception. I aim for 6% and am happy if that's what I average..hard to make 6 with that little volatility and reasonable risk nowdays.
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #13

Wellesley and Wellington are very narrow. I'd be nervous only owning such a small fraction of the market.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Wellesley and Wellington are very narrow. I'd be nervous only owning such a small fraction of the market.
From the Vanguard website:

Wellesley: 61 stocks, 660 bonds
Wellington: 99 stocks, 847 bonds

The track record of these two funds over multiple decades give no indication anyone should be nervous. Even if you assume some significant overlap in the stocks and bonds each fund owns, a 50/50 mix of those two funds would result in a portfolio far more diversified than those on the forum who invest in individual stocks and bonds.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #15

Quote:
You started this thread on Wellesley, now you're against it?

Well they've both been around a long time - Wels 1970 and Wel 1929 (one of the first mutual funds). Both rated 5-star gold at Morningstar for a long time.

I'm a big believer in the uniqueness of Balanced funds. Use index funds as well (mostly in our accumulation phase), but chose to pull back on index in retirement due to DW having zero interest in investing. I also worry about cognitive ability as I age and not realizing it's no longer in my best interest to manage our funds. Will be relying heavily on Wel/Wels for the bulk of our investments as I age, along with VTMFX (Tax Managed Balanced) and VTSAX (Total Stock Market). My notes to DW are to leave it as it is and follow the plan, but if all else fails - turn it over to Flagship rep to handle when I'm unable or have left the building.

Anyway, have owned Wel/Wels (and index funds) since we started investing and don't worry about either of them. I have been concerned about VFIAX (S&P500), then VTSAX (TSM) and VBTLX (TBM) over the years holding too much weight/concentration in Tech and Govt bonds.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:59 PM   #16

I said I'd be nervous with a portfolio with only Wellington and Wellesley. I'd want some international and US broad index funds......the question is how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 06-11-2017, 05:59 PM   #17

Quote:
I said I'd be nervous with a portfolio with only Wellington and Wellesley. I'd want some international and US broad index funds......the question is how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
You do get International exposure in both Wellington and Wellesley, although it is on the smaller side.

Wels 5.9%
Wel 10.7%
Old 06-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #18

My wife and I don't have a whole lot of room in our modest Rollover IRAs due to a variety of reasons. We had always followed the "bonds in tax-deferred/equities in taxable" while investing so we came to RMD age with 100% bond IRAs. We were a little uncomfortable having no equities in the IRAs but we couldn't convert too much to equities without throwing off our overall AA unacceptably. We looked at the following options:
1. VG Life Cycle Income (20% equities with 40% of that international). Rejected that because 30% of the 80% bond portion was international. We don't see a need for international bonds.
2. A 20% slice of either VG Total Stock Market Index or Total World Stock Index. Either of these would have worked fine but we went with...
3. A 50/50 mix of VG Total Bond Market Index (then the only IRA holding) and Wellesley. That gave us just under 20% equities. It'll also be easy to rebalance for my non-investment inclined wife if she's running things on her own. I'm also considering moving the Total Bond Index to Intermediate Treasury since Wellesley has so many corporates and we probably don't need those that are in Total Bond also. But that's a decision for another day.

Most of our taxable investments are in a VG Index classic 3 fund portfolio. So Wellesley is the only managed fund this died-in-the-wool indexer owns.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I set up an easy portfolio for my spouse in one of her IRA's. High percentage of Wellesley but it's not a huge amount of money, around 30K. It's 2/3 Wellesley, and 1/6 each of VXF (extended US) and 1/6 VXUS (basically international stocks). So overall it's pretty much a 60/40 blend with most of the typical asset classes represented.
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz View Post
You do get International exposure in both Wellington and Wellesley, although it is on the smaller side.

Wels 5.9%
Wel 10.7%
That is far too little international exposure for me, hence my original suggestion of a retirement portfolio with:

25% Wellesley
25% Total Bond Index
25% International Stock Index
25% TSM