WH pitches temporary “holiday” on capital gains taxes

They do this stuff to throw red meat to the base, they know it is D O A.

That's the thing: I don't think this idea is for the base. I'm the opposite of that yet if tax free capital gains were flaunted in front of my face before the election I would have voted my interest. So if I'm a good example - it would expand the base.

WAPO is paywalled to death anyway so nobody can read the piece. and then it's just comments about something we haven't read.

Of course it's hard to post links to anything that isn't paywalled in today's times.

BTW- it was not behind a paywall for me, I was able to read the piece.

I think you might get one article per month free...
i just open incognito. Works well on most paywalled sites, except WSJ which requires a log in I think.

I've searched for possible other articles but found little else that wasn't simply opinion vs. a financial piece. So I chalk it up to one of those trial balloon ideas that isn't going anywhere.

My personal opinion is this would not make it past the first round of red lines in any potential new bill.

+1 this is the only thing that I could find:

From the linked article:
... The latest proposal is for a temporary “holiday” on capital gains taxes, as White House adviser Kevin Hassett pitched Sunday on CNN and President Trump had earlier proposed via tweet. ...

Kevin Hassett on CNN:
... But, right now, it looks like the economy's picking up at a very rapid rate, in which case we could potentially move on to other things that the president has mentioned, like the payroll tax cut and potentially even a capital gains holiday. ...

I can't find any Trump tweet on a capital gains tax holiday, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is one out there.

i just open incognito. Works well on most paywalled sites, except WSJ which requires a log in I think.

Me too, but I have noticed that for non COVid updates I get one articles and then they lock me out. the bots are getting smarter.

+1 this is the only thing that I could find:

From the linked article:

Kevin Hassett on CNN:

I can't find any Trump tweet on a capital gains tax holiday, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is one out there.

This is for all public officials everywhere...to paraphrase my DM, just because you think it doesn't mean you have to Tweet it...

This is for all public officials everywhere...to paraphrase my DM, just because you think it doesn't mean you have to Tweet it...

Yes, Kevin Hassett that guy that co authored Dow 36,000, plus wrote an econometric model which showed no more Covid cases by May 15th, right that guy.......

He said it in passing at a press briefing on May 8. He tweeted it, also in passing, on May 5 at 2:37pm if you want to see it, I don't care to post it. I'm sure there are other instances.

Last edited:
I'd do what probably 99% would do: sell all my holdings with capital gains, and reinvest it with a new basis, probably in the same holdings. Absolutely no new investment to stimulate the economy. I guess my spending might go up a little because I wouldn't have that future tax liability to worry about.

Exactly the reason this would be a no go.

Back
Top Bottom