Join Early Retirement Today

What advice does a 65 year old retiree have for a young early retiree?
Old 06-14-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What advice does a 65 year old retiree have for a young early retiree?

Dream is free. Wishful thinking for me to retire early now.

Anyhow, please give us your advice, share your experiences, mistake, things you wouldn't do it again, or anything you can think of so we can learn and mentally prepare to exit our working life.

Enuff
Enuff2Eat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Short and sweet:
Financial: Pay yourself first - automatic deductions for 401K/other retirement, designated emergency fund. Save for major expenses such as college for kids.
Consider separate sinking fund for other major expenses such as car replacement. General savings fund.

Non-financial: Enjoy life now - vacations, non-COVID-times dining out, plays, concerts, etc. if that's what you enjoy. Plan for ongoing activities during retirement.

And if you make mistakes along the way, you likely can't undo them so just learn and move on.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post

Non-financial: Enjoy life now

That is the biggest one. You'll never be younger than you are today. If you have active hobbies, enjoy them now. Health problems can start creeping up sooner than you think.

I'm 60, retired almost 5 years and now wish I'd gone a bit sooner. I was able to indulge my active hobbies fully for only about 3 of those retired years before age-related problems slowed me way down.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Shun debt.
Buy used cars.
50% of marriages will fail -> could be yours, and 1/2 of retirement savings is gone...
Old 06-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
You'll never be younger than you are today. If you have active hobbies, enjoy them now. Health problems can start creeping up sooner than you think.

+10
Well said.
samm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

--LBYM, or per Suzie O--Just because you can afford it, doesn't mean you should buy it..
--Save, Save, Save
--Understand your risk regarding your money. Have a good asset allocation that lets you sleep at night. I thought I did, but really didn't and have adjusted mine this past 12 months.
--Review your spending, over and over again. Go down the rabbit hole and make sure the numbers are accurate.
--Keep the fun in your life, stay connected with others. Enjoy each day, now and in the future.
--Plan and look forward to your retirement and what you will do with your time. Not every minute needs to be busy!
--Take care of your health, and plan for your aging.
work 1 more year?
Old 06-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

work 1 more year?

how do you really know when to quit? or you didn't have choice? or your spouse still working so it's easy to decide.

if you could.. would you work another year or retire a year earlier?

were you debts free? do you have more free time but afraid to spend like before?
Old 06-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #8

Trust your own happiness. I started feeling useless a few weeks back. Especially with this Covid thing. I was thinking “how am I contributing to the betterment of the world or society?” You know what? Take care of yourself. Be pleasant and kind to others. Enjoy your days to the best of your abilities. Accept what you cannot change and change what you can or the serenity prayer. Enjoy nature. Smile under your mask...it shows in your cheeks.
Old 06-14-2020, 01:37 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
how do you really know when to quit? or you didn't have choice? or your spouse still working so it's easy to decide.

if you could.. would you work another year or retire a year earlier?

were you debts free? do you have more free time but afraid to spend like before?
It's more like putting a plan into place, not quitting.
I should have retired a year earlier.
Debt free. Spend is lower now. I can buy things that make me happy or make life easier.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 02:15 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

i am truly saddened by the number of people i know and have lost, that have died shortly after retirement or too soon into retirement. Gone, simply too young and simply too early. Try to balance saving for the future with living in the now. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow...
Old 06-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #11

Retired at the correct time. Have learned everything doesn't have to be done today. You can actually pace yourself. Debt free except for the house.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Hindsight is 20/20
Old 06-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Hindsight is 20/20

Think seriously about where you want to spend the rest of your life. Climate/Politics/ Family/Economics are all major and important considerations. I retired at 52 and I wish I had moved to an area that had a more moderate climate and more progressive thinking. Time goes so fast and as you get older it gets harder and harder to make a correction.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #13

I am not 65, yet. I am only 61. I have been retired for 19 years.

So long as you bring in more than how much you spend, who cares?
Old 06-14-2020, 06:58 PM   #14
gone traveling

Don’t put all of your money in tax-deferred accounts. Unless you have some type of company-paid health insurance, you will need to live on already-taxed money to keep your MAGI down for ACA subsidies.
BoodaGazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #15

- LBYM. Enjoy things in life that don't cost a lot of $$ (there are lots of them).
- shun debt like the plague. Do not carry any debt into retirement.
- avoid the trap of "consumerism". Don't buy stuff that you don't need (like a lot of people do). Prioritize the things that you truly value, and save your $$ for them.
- your health and fitness are more important than anything else. Take care of them now, and it will pay off as you age. All the money in the world won't matter much if you are unable to enjoy it in retirement due to poor health.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:06 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Dream is free. Wishful thinking for me to retire early now.

Anyhow, please give us your advice, share your experiences, mistake, things you wouldn't do it again, or anything you can think of so we can learn and mentally prepare to exit our working life.

Enuff
OP, I am still far from 65, but can share a few things...
It is a fairly difficult task involving LBYM. Most FIREd folks are millionaires, many are multi-millionaires, but they spent $ as if that pile of $ doesn't belong to them (that is the difficult part that many young people have problem with).
By asking this question, you are already half way there however. I would be very happy if my kids ask me this same question. For a personal experience, years ago, I resisted buying a new car (only after making that exact mistake a few years earlier - I learned my lesson early) before buying my first condo (otherwise, I would not have qualified for my first mortgage), and that started things in the right track for me. I drive a luxury car now, but I can afford to pay it off before driving it home. I do agree with others in this tread, however, that don't try so hard to save $ that you forget to enjoy living your current life.
ut2sua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ut2sua View Post
OP, I am still far from 65, but can share a few things...
It is a fairly difficult task involving LBYM. Most FIREd folks are millionaires, many are multi-millionaires, but they spent $ as if that pile of $ doesn't belong to them (that is the difficult part that many young people have problem with).
By asking this question, you are already half way there however. I would be very happy if my kids ask me this same question. For a personal experience, years ago, I resisted buying a new car (only after making that exact mistake a few years earlier - I learned my lesson early) before buying my first condo (otherwise, I would not have qualified for my first mortgage), and that started things in the right track for me. I drive a luxury car now, but I can afford to pay it off before driving it home. I do agree with others in this tread, however, that don't try so hard to save $ that you forget to enjoy living your current life.

thank you all. Excellent advice. I am planning, thinking, dreaming, getting rid of debts. Will live off after-tax money for awhile before dipping into 401k.

Biggest concern is kids. They will always need help here or there.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The short version: Fear inflation!

The longer version: If you ER, probably the actuaries will give you a life-remaining number like 30 years. Maybe more. And, for round numbers, assume that today you need $100K of income. Using inflation rates: Recent history 2%, 100 year history 3+%, and 40 year history 4+% to project that $100K need, we get:
2% $183,000/year needed in year-30 dollars to support the same spending level.

3% $249,000

4% $340,000
I think we all tend to be quite myopic about future inflation. IMO for many of us it is the biggest risk to our lifestyles that we face.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:57 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Be pleasant and kind to others.
Yes. We need more of the above during this time. Thanks for making my day Rianne.
ut2sua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Invest in stocks
Gallaher is offline   Reply With Quote