what are you doing with your coins (change)?

Beachgrl

Recycles dryer sheets
Ugh since TD took the penny arcades away, what are you doing with your change? I have no patience to roll!!

I throw it into a cup when I wash the pants and I load some into the pants before I go shopping. I just spend it.

I throw it into a cup when I wash the pants and I load some into the pants before I go shopping. I just spend it.

Similarly, I just put in on my dresser and back in my pocket if going out. We still use cash for a lot of spending.

Collect it in an old wine jug and take it to the bank when it gets full. They count it for free and it's usually around$100 or so. I hate carrying change in my pockets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I had $35+ in pennies. I took it to a Coinstar machine and got an Amazon credit with no fees.

I sweet-talk Frank into taking my jar of change to his bank, where (unlike my bank) they have a coin sorter/counter and will count and deposit the total into his bank account.

Then I am extra sweet and he gives me the equivalent total amount in cash from his wallet.

I only had to do this once or twice, because I really do try to spend my change and it takes me about ten years to fill up a change jar. I use an old (clean) mayonnaise jar.

I sweet-talk Frank into taking my jar of change to his bank, where (unlike my bank) they have a coin sorter/counter and will count and deposit the total into his bank account.

Then I am extra sweet and he gives me the equivalent total amount in cash from his wallet.
Sure beats Coinstar. :)

I have a half filled 5 gal water bottle of change, one of these days I will lug it to the coin counter.

We go to breakfast at the beach once a week, and the parking meters still take coins.

Coinstar.

When I saw your post I thought you meant old coins. They have gone on Ebay.

Thanks, we think so too. :D

Is that one of those big water bottles? If so, I wonder if it would be too heavy to lift once it is filled with coins.

Yes, it is one of those big water bottles, and he will need a had truck or strong weightlifter to move it.

Thanks, we think so too. :D

Is that one of those big water bottles? If so, I wonder if it would be too heavy to lift once it is filled with coins.

Yes, it is one of those big water bottles, and he will need a had truck or strong weightlifter to move it.

Yes it's the big one and I can hardly lift it now at half full.
I will most likely have to dump it into smaller containers to cash it in.
When I was w*rking I dumped my pocket change everyday, I don't like change in my pocket. It has taken almost twenty years to get this far but that has been with two kids when young and wife doing an occasional raid on it.
Two of the cup holders in my car are full of only quarters must be $50 easy.
Never know when you need to feed a parking meter.

Our change goes into a bank. When it is full it is transferred to a bowl in a baggie. When our grand kids graduate we give them a bag. Each bag contains about $75.

I use thevcoinstar machine at a grocery store and get the Amazon gift card, so no convenience fee. For me Amazon is as good a $$ because i use it so often.

Our granddaughter likes the coins and we gave her plenty through the years. Now she likes greenbacks and debit cards. ;)

I do Coinstar also and get an Amazon gift card too. I don't like to use coins for spending so I stick them in a coin container in my desk until I take them to the nearest Coinstar.

Coin sorter at the bank just down the street after holding back a few bucks worth of quarters. Those ride in the car where quite a few are intentionally left in Aldi carts for the next shopper who may or may not have forgotten theirs.

I put the coins in a 3 liter Pink Niagara wine jug. Every now and then I bring it to the sorting machine at the credit union.
They don't make Pink Niagara wine anymore. Probably why the teenage pregnancy rate is plummeting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We no longer have any change because we virtually never use cash.

When we did use cash, our daughter was always getting it--one way or another. Since we went all debit card, she's got no way of rifling our pockets, etc.

Filling a coffee can now. Filled two small plant buckets once then they were too heavy so gave them to a niece 525 in coins, she needed the money. Now when coffee can is full might give them to her son, he finishes college in the spring so could use some coins or I might dump them in a coin star and get Amazon cards.

Quarters are the only useful coin so they go into the card for parking meters. The rest go into a can to make a Salvation Army bell ringer's day once every year.

thank you all for the responses!

I'm bummed that there are no banks anywhere here that I know of that have coin sorters since TD bank pulled theirs.

I'm not excited about Coinstar with Amazon; I never shop for anything on there, i'm not even a shopper.

A pp got me thinking that I should stop using cash altogether. If dh wants coffee he needs to start using up that change. He's actually bringing the majority of it in.

I have quite a few coins in rolls but stopped doing that a couple of years ago and just put extra change in any available container. I think I will check with my credit union for a coin sorter to use and then donate the money to a local animal shelter now that I don't need to worry about eating the cat food myself. :D

Back
Top Bottom