What are your favorite money proverbs?

Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

(maybe has to be adjusted for inflation...)

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got."

Translation: Be creative.

From Mattress Mac

Late to bed
Early to rise
Work like hell
and advertise

Sure worked for him! Gallery Furniture, "makes him money!"

Not a proverb, but a story.

John D. Rockefeller once borrowed a nickel from a subordinate to pay for his trip home (this in his early days in Ohio). THe next day when he went to return the money, the subordinate said 'don't worry about it, its just a nickel.' Rockefeller said "nonsense, its a year's interest on a dollar".

"Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship. "
Benjamin Franklin

When I was a small boy I used to read this on the cover of a farm bookkeeping ledger that my father had. It was printed under a drawing of an old wooden sailing ship. I think the ledger book was a free gift from a fertilizer company.

Selected favorite quotes

A billion here, a billion there, and pretty soon you're talking big money. -- US Senator Everett M. Dirksen

From Aesop's Fables:
  • Any excuse will serve a tyrant. 'The Wolf and the Lamb'
  • Appearances are often deceiving. 'The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing'
  • Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. 'The Milkmaid and Her Pail'
  • Familiarity breeds contempt. 'The Fox and the Lion'
  • It is not only fine feathers that make fine birds. 'The Jay and the Peacock'
  • Kindness effects more than severity. 'The Wind and the Sun'
  • No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. 'The Lion and the Mouse'
  • Slow and steady wins the race. 'The Hare and the Tortoise'
  • The gods help them that help themselves. 'Hercules and the Waggoner'
  • United we stand, divided we fall. 'The Four Oxen and the Lion'
Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. -- Thomas Alva Edison, 'Life' Selected

A bargain is something you don't need at a price you can't resist.

"Neither a lender, nor a borrower be." - Ben Franklin

A friend in need is a friend indeed.

A friend in need is no friend of mine. :D

"No State shall make ... any thing but gold or silver a legal tender in payment of debts..." The U.S. Constitution, article 1, section 10. (circa 1787).

Just for laughs ...

A gold dollar is worth roughly $40 in today's dollar.
A silver dollar is worth roughly $10+ in today's dollars.
A "copper" penny had most of the copper taken out in the early 1980s, and even the zinc once today is worth ... more than a penny.

It's easy to see where our paper money system is taking us ... to unpleasant places.

All in my signature.

Our kid is really tired of hearing "Hmmm, it seems as though the harder you work, the luckier you get..."

The person who doesn't know where his next dollar is coming from usually doesn't know where his last dollar went.

One of the symptoms of an approaching nervous breakdown is the belief that one's work is terribly important.

I have enough money to get by. I'm not independently wealthy, just independently lazy, I suppose. - Montgomery Clift

Money can't buy love, but it improves your bargaining position. - Christopher Marlowe

Some people misquote and say, "Money is the root of all evil." That's not what it says. The correct version of the quotation is "The love of money is the root of all evil."

But it's really about how we use it. I like this one:

"Money is the root of all good."

I like this one too: "The lack of money is the root of all evil." (Attributed to many--my fridge magnet says George Bernard Shaw)

My favorite thing to tell my four year old when he asks "why did you do that" is...

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I tend to live my life that way. If it seems like a good idea I do it... if it doesn't work out.. oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

You can apply that statement to just about anything you have done, and its true. If it didn't seem like a good idea at the time, you probably didn't do it... :) Since you did it.. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Even the stupid things you do... if you think hard enough.. they did seem like a good idea at the time... You wouldn't get caught, you would impress somebody, nothing could go wrong... It seemed like a good idea at the time didn't it? :)

"Dad, why did you cook green beans?"... "Why did you go right?"... "Why are we going to X?".. My answer: "Seemed like a good idea at the time". What I'm really waiting for is for him to use it on me when I question why he did something. It will just crack me up :rolleyes:

The day he does that I'm just gonna have to laugh... :D

Laters,
-d.

For the gambling and get-rich-quick type.

"The quickest way to double your money is to fold it up and put it in your pocket." :smitten:

Money won't buy happiness, but it'll make one hell of a down payment.

My favorite thing to tell my four year old when he asks "why did you do that" is...

It seemed like a good idea at the time. I tend to live my life that way. If it seems like a good idea I do it... if it doesn't work out.. oh well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

You can apply that statement to just about anything you have done, and its true. If it didn't seem like a good idea at the time, you probably didn't do it... :) Since you did it.. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Even the stupid things you do... if you think hard enough.. they did seem like a good idea at the time... You wouldn't get caught, you would impress somebody, nothing could go wrong... It seemed like a good idea at the time didn't it? :)

"Dad, why did you cook green beans?"... "Why did you go right?"... "Why are we going to X?".. My answer: "Seemed like a good idea at the time". What I'm really waiting for is for him to use it on me when I question why he did something. It will just crack me up :rolleyes:

The day he does that I'm just gonna have to laugh... :D

Laters,
-d.

I remember a variant on this from college:
"At the time, it made sense."

October. This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks in. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February" --Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson

Back
Top Bottom