Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know how you guys do it ! I feel like I never buy anything but my spending over the past 4 years has been 80k / year ($6,673 per month). That is in Florida where there is no state income tax. I have included a bogie of 6k / year in for federal income tax since I've only been retired 18 months or so. I feel like a big spender now.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I don't know how you guys do it ! I feel like I never buy anything but my spending over the past 4 years has been 80k / year ($6,673 per month). That is in Florida where there is no state income tax. I have included a bogie of 6k / year in for federal income tax since I've only been retired 18 months or so. I feel like a big spender now.
If you can afford what you are spending, then great! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. There is absolutely nothing wrong in spending one's hard earned money, in my opinion anyway. In fact, that's great.

On the other hand, if your numbers seem like more than you want to spend, then you can join me in trying to tighten the belt. I do need to cut back before the next 2008-style recession, for sure. My situation is that I can afford what I am spending now, but I want more leeway just in case the market dips.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:18 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I think a lot depends on HI and Taxes. In my case, with Roth conversions, my taxes this year will be over $14k (fed, state, real estate and personal property). HI is $11k, going to almost $15k next year. So these two alone account for almost $2,100/month (30% of total spend).
Old 12-02-2016, 03:19 PM   #64

Only 7 months in ER. Budgeted $5000 spending about $3600. The surplus is padding the capital expenditure budget. With two houses I figure about 100k will be needed eventually.
The $3600 figure includes $500 for travel and $650 for HSA contributions.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
$7K.....I guess it's a NORTHERN California thing as well
Unless you're living in, say, Pioneer or Porterville. Not all Californians live near the coast.

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
C) Moving and related expenses to settling into new home.

I hadn't expected to buy when we set up our yearly budget, had to pull money out of the market to make the downpayment at not an ideal time;
Oh, how well I know that feeling. I did the same thing in 2015 - - did not expect to buy that year but did, and had to pull money out of the market to do it. In my case the timing was not bad, but still, buying a house and the related expenses sure mean spending a lot more than usual.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If you can afford what you are spending, then great! Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. There is absolutely nothing wrong in spending one's hard earned money, in my opinion anyway. In fact, that's great.

On the other hand, if your numbers seem like more than you want to spend, then you can join me in trying to tighten the belt. I do need to cut back before the next 2008-style recession, for sure. My situation is that I can afford what I am spending now, but I want more leeway just in case the market dips.
Belt, suspenders, rope, staples, tape, screws, rivets, twisty ties, bungy cord, caribiner, and any other fastener I'm forgetting. You are nothing if not very conservative W2R.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:26 PM   #68
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do not go commando. Does that count?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:27 PM   #69

My monthly expenses for the last 5 years have been ~$1400. That figure is the total spend, including rent, food, clothes, transport, and frivolous fun. I just spent ~$5K on my teeth though, so that's going to affect the average quite a bit in the future.

It was money well spent. The luxury of being able to walk past any restaurant in town and know that I could chomp my way through their offerings with no pain or sensitivity at all is still a novelty. I feel like a million dollars with this complete set of fully functional teeth

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Unless you're living in, say, Pioneer or Porterville. Not all Californians live near the coast.
Posters have reported that other than housing, the rest costs the same, and that if you own your home, there's not much difference.

Well, I know that electricity costs a lot more, and also RE taxes for newcomers due to Prop. 13. What else costs more?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 12-02-2016, 03:31 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
Belt, suspenders, rope, staples, tape, screws, rivets, twisty ties, bungy cord, caribiner, and any other fastener I'm forgetting. You are nothing if not very conservative W2R.
Thanks, and I think you are right. Still, I am (1) a worry-wart, and (2) a great proponent of sleeping at night.

The thing that's KILLING me is that I spent a lot on buying and fixing up my new Dream House (mostly the yard), in 2015. Then in 2016 I thought my spending would revert to normal and I had several of those big unusual expenses hit me all at once.

I have great hopes for 2017! I'd like to be able to look at my spending without cringing.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If you did, bet it would lower the spending in your "clothing" category.

Old 12-02-2016, 04:04 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

I am spending a fair bit under 2%, at about $5850/month, all in (health insurance, taxes, etc.). I plan to ramp it up in a few years to 3%. I want my SO to inherit a nice chunk, but I want to do some traveling in my late 50s and early 60s.

No debt, BTW, other than a credit card bill (double points!) that I pay off monthly.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #74

Quote:
Posters have reported that other than housing, the rest costs the same, and that if you own your home, there's not much difference.

Well, I know that electricity costs a lot more, and also RE taxes for newcomers due to Prop. 13. What else costs more?
That's the issue though is there is quite a lot of people who can't afford to buy. Rent in coastal California where most jobs are is extremely high. If one does own a home the buyer is looking at inflated mortgage payments every month. It makes sense to split that cost with friends and/or relatives but most people are not in a position to do that.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:09 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
My monthly expenses for the last 5 years have been ~$1400. That figure is the total spend, including rent, food, clothes, transport, and frivolous fun. I just spent ~$5K on my teeth though, so that's going to affect the average quite a bit in the future.

It was money well spent. The luxury of being able to walk past any restaurant in town and know that I could chomp my way through their offerings with no pain or sensitivity at all is still a novelty. I feel like a million dollars with this complete set of fully functional teeth
Just curious what did you have done for 5k?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #76

$ 50 Dog
$ 329 Utilities / Cell
$ 150 Gas
$ 22 Gym
$ 600 Groceries
$ 300 Misc / eat out
$ 150 Contributions
$ 50 Auto maint
$ 473 Health
$ 25,488 Annual basic
$ 5,000 Travel & misc
$ 30,488 Total Annual
$ 2,541 Monthly
2 peeps
House paid off

$ 1,501 Car insurance
$ 988 Home insurance
$ 6,238 Home tax
$ 1,365 Life Insurance
$ 10,092 Total
$ 841 Monthly
$ 3,382 Total ALL / month
$ 40,580 Total ALL / annual
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #77
gone traveling

I expect anything between 6k and 10k a month with no mortgage (owning place, not renting)

I would love to stay based in lovely and liberal and surely not cheap Cambridge MA . It is otherwise great place to live. Good places are not necessarily cheap.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Energy costs more per kw but we also save money by using a "solar" dryer most of the year and not needing a lot of heating or cooling.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
If you did, bet it would lower the spending in your "clothing" category.
Hey, that gives people an idea. How about going further, and join a nudist camp? Look at all the money you save. Well, you might have to incur other costs, like bug spray.

As for me, I have not spent much money on clothes for a long time, other than last year, so that would not help me.

On a spur of the moment, after the rehearsal for my daughter's wedding, I went and bought my own tux. And the salesman talked me into getting another suit. And then, when I came back to try the suits after alteration, he talked me into buying two silk shirts. Me! Silk shirts for the 1st time in my life.

Well, I learned not to go anywhere near that men's store now.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Energy costs more per kw but we also save money by using a "solar" dryer most of the year and not needing a lot of heating or cooling.
Try hanging clothes out here once, and they dry really fast in the hot and arid air.

Too fast in fact, and they turn crispy, like tortilla chips.

So, I don't do that anymore. Clothes dry faster here in the dryer too.