What Did You Say?

Aviator

Dryer sheet wannabe
For those who are or soon will be FI&RE, what did you say when someone asked "what are you going to do" or "where are you going to work?"

My situation. I'm 50 years old and three months away from retiring from active duty after 27 years. I'm extremely grateful for everything I've received and feel honored to have served our country including three tours to Iraq and Afghanistan.

All of my peers have stayed in the DC area and transitioned into some federal govt or contract job and there's nothing wrong with that if that's what interests you. But for me, joy will be leaving DC for the simpler life closer to family and friends.

We're moving to the country in Northern Michigan, having a new house built as we speak on our little 40 acre parcel on a dead end road ... and no mortage...yeah! One child just graduated from NYU and will be staying in the DC area and the second will be a senior in the fall at MSU - GO SPARTANS!

Thankfully, we're all debt free and financially comfortable. We've done well saving our entire lives for this very day, made "mostly" good investment decisions, lived below our means mostly on my income (DW stopped working outside the home 15 years ago to homeschool our kids). We lack for nothing and we'll continue our volunteer work and mission work to Haiti. That plus plenty of touring, hunting, fishing, camping etc.

For me when I get asked that question, because they can't believe I'm retiring, I'm not always sure how to respond. Usually I just say "I'm not sure ... I have so many things that I want to do that I just might not have time to work...but we'll see."

What did you say?

"What will I do?........Whatever the #@*& I want!"

My response when quitting work at age 46......and nothing's changed in the subsequent 23 years. ;)

You don't owe anyone an explanation. No, really - that is the notion that you need to understand. As long as you are financially independent, your life is your own. You are retiring, end of discussion.

For those who are or soon will be FI&RE, what did you say when someone asked "what are you going to do" or "where are you going to work?"

I was 61, so it was easier for me to explain. Still, I got that question quite a bit. I told them that I planned to do the same things that I normally did on the weekends only. Then I would amplify about how I planned to go to the gym every day, and to sleep late, and to move north, maybe write a book just for fun and to see if I could do it, and so on.

I found that after I got to about the third planned activity their eyes would glaze over and they would wander off. :D I think they meant no harm by asking. They probably were just trying to imagine what their own retirements would be like.

Last edited:
I get it.

I've mentioned to a few co-workers that I'm actively planning/saving/etc so that I can retire soon. Like you, I'm 50. Most people think I must be really wealthy. (I'm not). I've just saved aggressively and have low expenses. Most don't understand why I'm working towards having my mortgage paid off in 2 years and have a budget that will let me retire once that happens.

I also get the confused questions about "what will you do?" Since I have school age kids, still, I usually say something about being a super-mom... that shuts them up. In reality, I may pick up some other, part time job... but it won't be engineering... I'm too burnt out. There's definitely some resentment from my coworkers that I'm in a position that when the layoffs come, I won't be scrambling as much they do. (And layoffs are likely.)

Aviator - thank you for your service! Your retirement is well-earned.

Since you are moving from the concrete jungle to a place many of your colleagues can't even imagine, it may be hard to explain how busy you can be in a place like that - so may not be worth trying.

I said that I was looking forward to putting more time into my volunteer work and to have more flexibility to travel, and that I might do some teaching or consulting. Mostly my colleagues were jealous.

Best wishes for everything to go well with your new house (I can't imagine building a house and not being there to supervise!) and your transition into retirement!

Best wishes for everything to go well with your new house (I can't imagine building a house and not being there to supervise!) and your transition into retirement!

Thanks for the well-wishes. We got lucky and found a local builder, highly regarded for quality craftsmanship, who I would trust with my life .... and obviously with my house. Can't wait.

Great responses so far....keep 'em coming

Tell them you are going fishing on your new boat:

Attachments

• Dinghy.jpg
    Dinghy.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 19
There were few questions when I announced my retirement. Two weeks notice in the middle of a meeting, the boss handing out [-]crappy[/-] important assignments.

After mouths falling agape, and long pregnant silence, my answer to the question was: I have far too many hobbies, and w*rk has been a major cramp in my lifestyle.

After mouths falling agape, and long pregnant silence, my answer to the question was: I have far too many hobbies, and w*rk has been a major cramp in my lifestyle.

Good one! Thanks

I'm not retired yet but my thought is: w*rking is so inconvenient.

This was pretty close to how I responded. Because I had been working part-time for the previous 7 years, and only 2 days a week for the most recent 17 months, I had already built up a decent set of outside activities/hobbies. Therefore, going from working 2 days a week to zero days a week was not a big change to my overall lifestyle, except that I would be able to partake in those activities/hobbies more often and without any obstructions such as the frequent scheduling conflicts from that darned "work getting in the way" all the time!

You know . . . when they ask this question the are asking 1 or both of 2 things:

1) How can you financially do this? Don't you still have to work to make and spend money? Why not stay with this job?
2) How are you going to be a productive member of society? You are not just going to sit and do "nothing" are you?

I told them that I've always had a life and friends outside of work. You can see the confusion in their eyes when they try to figure this out or realize that they don't have a life or identity outside of work.

LBYM and have a real life. This is the key to a successful ER and the confidence to take ER without worrying about what others think.

My response is "anyone who does not know what to do if they did not have to work needs to get a real life"

I guess my workplace must be different. There, the impertinent questions revolve around "So, when are you going to retire?"

My reaction: Take deep breath - remind self that some people were raised in barns by moo-cows - smile, and say, "Gosh, I have no plans any time soon."
Raised-in-barn responds, "But you've been here even longer than I have!"
My reaction: Remind self that I have only so much time in a day, and this sort of person doesn't deserve any of it; excuse myself to go to a non-existent meeting.

Amethyst

The last time someone asked what I would do once I retired, I replied "Drink heavily and complain about young people today. How 'bout you?"

@Gumby - LOL! Good one!

Aviator - thank you for your service - you have earned retirement!
I haven't retired yet, but plan to at 58. My response, "It will be nice not trying to cram living life into a 2-day weekend!"
I wish you all the best. Congratulations!

I rarely get that question anymore. Probably because I look like an old retiree now.:blush: But when I do, I just say 'I finally found something I'm good at....doing nothing'. Most just laugh and go away.

Great job, and thank you so much for your service.

My response to "what are you going to do all day" is "anything I want to". As far as where I am going to work, well, that is what retirement is: not working.

I retired a little later than you, but still "early" at 2 months shy of 59, but still.

My answer depended on who did the asking. Close friends and family already understood my reasons for early retirement. For casual acquaintances and co-workers, it's best to give a general answer that isn't disrespectful of their situation and/or choices. Something like "We're going to have our dream home built, spend more time with loved ones and take some time to relax. As far as work, I'll consider options once we've settled in."

Even if you currently have no intention of working again, it's always wise to keep your options open.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aviator, you have your answers nicely spelled out in your first post here--you're moving to Michigan and will be so busy building a house and learning how to enjoy a different lifestyle that you won't have time to look for work.

I just say I have a wonderful life when people ask me what I'm up to re work; DH has several projects he's enjoying and like W2R above, he can talk so long about them and in such detail that the person asking the question will never ask him again.

Aviator,
Congrats.
We are still working - bummer. If we were ready and being asked, we would say that we are moving on to a life of freedom. That is, we will be free from having to get up early to make our coffee, lunch, fight traffic, and listen to others telling us what to do. There are millions of things to do:
- visit the library on a frequent basis
- take more hiking trips
- bike around the lakes
- work on the gardens
- take exercise, painting, drawing classes
- watch movies
- play tennis, golf
- enjoy sunrise and sunsets
- travel (obviously with moderation as it's expensive)
- listen to music
- meditate
- start a bake shop

Aviator - thank you for your service and wish you all the best in your retirement.

I keep dreaming of the day when people ask me what I will be doing ..... I imagine my response as a great big grin and the words "no clue but I know I'm going to LOVE it !"

Thank you to everyone for your very kind words of appreciation and suggestions. You make me laugh:) Many of you are real close yourself...congratulations to you for making all the right moves to be FI&RE!

This site has been so helpful to me personally for the past few years as I approached this day. I've learned a lot.

What I find remarkable when talking to some of my contemporaries is that all they talk about is saving for a nice retirement and then when you tell them you're retiring, it's almost shocking to them. I've seen guys walking around the Pentagon in their 60s and 70s, who retired from active service and then continued working in some capacity. And I'm wondering to myself ...really? What are you waiting for? When you're on your death bed are you really going to be saying to yourself "I wished I had worked one more day?" Not me. Guess some folks, as was mentioned above, don't know what to do with their free time and maybe work for them is their enjoyment. IDK but I know it's not for me.

Thanks again my FIRE friends!

Back
Top Bottom