Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What do you get from being FI?
Old 07-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
gone traveling

What do you get from being FI?

For those of you who are LESS then 62 (working or not) and ARE FI.

What do you think FI gives you?

What did you feel when you become FI?
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

FI gives me the ability to say #€¥^% you.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Instead of just thinking it.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That had me literally LOL.

For me it was the freedom to quit my job when the job description suddenly changed to week long business trips every 3rd week. (Mind you I was working a 4 day week for family reasons - but this would have been 6 days away from home at a time.) Having the savings/income streams to be able to chuck the job when it became less pleasant is huge.

Mind you I'm not "rich" by any means. Have to live within a budget or will have to go back to w*rk... But it's nice not having to w*rk.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:46 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:

There is actually lot of meaning in it.

But I must admit you two got me
Old 07-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What FI gave me? ER of course, so that I can stay home out of the heat, or take my RV on long cross-country trips whenever I want.

How did I feel? Man, I felt powerful and "rich" even though I am not.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

It meant I "earned my KMA* hat" a widely used expression where I worked. Also referred as a "DPMO** hat"

* Kiss My (well, I think you can guess)
** Don't P___ Me Off
Old 07-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #8
gone traveling

What FI gives me is life in which I am not very stressed out. I still work, but I care less and less if I get fired or not.

It gives me feeling of freedom which very hard to describe.

But I still would not say %$##& to my manager or coworker
Old 07-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Flexibility. Choices. And, yes, stress reduction. There is a certain ease in life if you don't have to think of money knowing you have "enough".
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #10

Quote:
What he said cause I don't curse.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
For those of you who are LESS then 62 (working or not) and ARE FI.

What do you think FI gives you?
Sorry, not FI yet, but will answer anyway in light of my current situation:

FI will give me the option to not work an 11-hour day on a Saturday. If I have to, it will be because I chose to, not because someone is making me... I will no longer be beholden to the work whims of others, because I will always have the option to walk away should I so choose.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #12

FI gave me the opportunity to do a very good job because my bosses knew that I would tell it as I saw it without being too concerned about doing the politically correct thing. I was also fortunate enough to have bosses that could live with that. ( except for one of the first ones. That's when F...U money really came in handy).
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

It gives me freedom. And now I enjoy my work, instead of feeling stressed.
HillCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gives me options.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Freedom to come and go as I please, answerable to nobody beyond friends and family and the LF.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I continued working for a couple of years after FI, so that I could get retiree medical coverage when I did leave. While I was working and FI, I pretty much quit doing the BS stuff that comes with most jerbs. I didn't attend fruitless meetings, I quit doing our equivalent of TPS reports, and I focused on doing the real job the best I could. It didn't endear me to management, but I didn't care. I was at the top of my payroll level, so if I missed a half a percent on my raise, who cares? It was such a great situation, being able to actually work without the politics, that I was tempted to stay even after I became eligible for retiree medical. But I didn't. As great as FI felt, FIRE feels even better.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #17

Learning I was FI gave me the idea to RE (which I did 6 months later) and unloaded a lot of stress.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:02 PM   #18

I am still working, but FI. Not much longer though.

It gives me the feeling I can enjoy some of the fruits of my labor. Explore the country a bit, relax a bit. Without being too old to do it.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I quit doing our equivalent of TPS reports...
It gave me the opportunity to truly discuss and plan retirement with my spouse, to the point that she understood that I/we could afford to retire. My intention was to be ready such that if there were an early retirement incentive program we would be ready to act, and not have to make a sudden decision with all the intense stress that would accompany such a big decision. We studied the numbers, and she learned how the pension worked, and how the health care in retirement worked, and agreed that I could go if I had an opportunity or if I just couldn't put up with the BS any longer.

An opportunity came along to teach at a university, in the area of my expertise. 4 weeks after they offered me the job, I retired and relocated! And I love the new job. And, I have the students write TPS reports! Someday one of them will figure out the movie connection!

Its not that working for megacorp was a bad job, but the job had changed. We had been over-run by process people and MBAs that added layers and layers of goo to the system. It used to be an engineering organization, it had turned into a bureaucratic management organization with an engineering problem. The BS meter had pegged, it was time to do something different.
ER Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Well I will be honest, after proper reflection FI (via my pension) has turned me into one lazy person. Now I still stay in shape work out and eat right. But when I was working I could clean house, mow, laundry, etc. and whip it out in an evening if I had to. Now it takes all week to get it done. I piddle like an 80 year old man, and I just am turning 50... I am amazed at how slothful I have become, but I enjoy it immensely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote