Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What do you hate most?
Lawyers 13 9.70%
Insurance companies 17 12.69%
medical profession 3 2.24%
politicians 58 43.28%
car dealers 15 11.19%
gas companies 4 2.99%
other 24 17.91%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Re: What do you hate most?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Oh, I almost forgot. I'm not too thrilled losing a bet to some Yahoo (Rewahoo) from Texas, and had to post the results for a month on this board.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2007, 09:31 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
I can't believe "nerd" is not on the list!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
I hate it when I'm on a fly-stream at first light, and notice after two or three casts that there is a small knot in the leader. Too cold and too lazy to change it out, and 15 minutes later hook a 2 or 3 pound Brown, and it snaps the leader.#%%@##.
Aren't they all at least three pounds when that happens?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

If not already mentioned:

Smokers who toss their butts anywhere

Drivers on the cell phone in busy traffic

most VC's (they have bloated egos that would put politicians to shame)
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Clerks at DMV (dept of motor vehicle) - not all of them, some are quite courteous.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
If not already mentioned:

Smokers who toss their butts anywhere

Questions: Do only litterers become smokers, or does smoking make you not give a $#@^&$ about throwing your crap all over the place -- beach, forest, sidewalks, in my face on freeway, in parking lot dumping ashtray, etc?

I know there must be smokers out there that are carefully observant to handle their waste carefully, but I think even they would admit they are a rarity.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:42 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaDave
most VC's (they have bloated egos that would put politicians to shame)
At least you said 'most'.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate people who don't take their turn in line at a grocery store, fast food counter, department store, etc. People who don't think they should have to "wait in line" like everyone else. Maybe if I was 6'4" and weighed 240 pounds, this wouldn't happen to me. I used to not say anything. Now I just say, politely, "Excuse me, but I was here first". That does the trick every time - and I usually get an apology, too.
Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:01 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toejam
I hate people who don't take their turn in line at a grocery store, fast food counter, department store, etc. People who don't think they should have to "wait in line" like everyone else. Maybe if I was 6'4" and weighed 240 pounds, this wouldn't happen to me. I used to not say anything. Now I just say, politely, "Excuse me, but I was here first". That does the trick every time - and I usually get an apology, too.
One more before I go to bed.... on the waiting in line thing, this AM I went out to get some breakfast at the local fast food place... since it was cold (for Fl) no one was going in ,everyone was using drive in. Well, it was backed up nearly into the roadway. I was sitting with my blinker on, in the driveway, but trying to leave a space in case people in parking lot needed to get out. The space in front of my truck was the only way out. So as I sit there, I see a blue truck come in from other street entrance, come through parking area, and head for the gap I had left open. Since he is not leaving a parking space, I figured he was going to 'use' my space to cut in line... [sigh] I had already resigned myself to not get upset, and just accept it as one of those things. In my younger days, maybe not, but I have learned some battles are not worth fighting, esp in nutty So Fl! Well, he pulled through, he continued and went out to street behind me, had to do a "J" turn, then politely fell into place behind me.

When I got to the window, I ordered, and when I got to the payment window, I asked and they told me his order was like $6. Well,, the polite guy got a free breakfast -- I just asked the lady at window to tell him it was 'on the house' today.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

DRiP Guy:

Way to go! I know exactly how you must've felt. It's kinda like when you're driving in heavy traffic and trying to merge into another lane. Finally, when someone let's you in, you feel so happy and grateful, you feel like waving a big "Thank You" sign out the window. I always wave my hand and smile so the driver of the other car knows I appreciate it. I'm sure the polite guy behind you appreciated your "appreciation" of him.

Toejam
Old 02-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #51

Quote:
I had a little banty-rooster type want to "step outside with me" in a grocery checkout line. He was ahead of me in a "10 items or less" lane. He was unloading a good 40 items onto the belt. I said, under my breath "yeah, right, 10 items."

He turned around and said to me "you have a problem?" I said no. 2 more times he asked me if I had a problem. Finally the third time, I had had enough. I said "no, I don't have a problem. I can count to 10."

He didn't like that very much....wanted to fight. He was about 5' 2". I confess I toyed with the idea of thumping on him, but I was in Anchorage and for all I knew he was packing. I had visions of the cops arriving, so I just flat out told him I wasn't going to both to get physical over a grocery line.

Personally, I wish checkout clerks would enforce that one, but if I were making minimum wage, I probably wouldn't either.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:58 AM   #52

I find rule-breakers, like those punks who cut in front of lines, very interesting. They are exploiting the fact that most people are polite to their advantage -- sort of the ideal capitalist.

I was on the net before there was spam. It was utopian. Eventually, some slimy bastard figured out that he didn't have to be polite and he could make money from not being polite. Then the floodgates opened, and the net was never the same again.

I often wonder why there isn't more of this anomy (wow, I haven't used that word since high school). Maybe it will inevitably increase, like entropy.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:19 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco
I had a little banty-rooster type want to "step outside with me" in a grocery checkout line. He was ahead of me in a "10 items or less" lane. He was unloading a good 40 items onto the belt. I said, under my breath "yeah, right, 10 items."

He turned around and said to me "you have a problem?" I said no. 2 more times he asked me if I had a problem. Finally the third time, I had had enough. I said "no, I don't have a problem. I can count to 10."

He didn't like that very much....wanted to fight. He was about 5' 2". I confess I toyed with the idea of thumping on him, but I was in Anchorage and for all I knew he was packing. I had visions of the cops arriving, so I just flat out told him I wasn't going to both to get physical over a grocery line.

Personally, I wish checkout clerks would enforce that one, but if I were making minimum wage, I probably wouldn't either.
]
Bosco: You shoulda decked the little jerk - just kidding . Seriously, I would've felt the same way. You can add this guy to the category of people I do not like. They all fall under DRiP Guys category of the "self-absorbed", rude, and inconsiderate.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:53 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DRiP Guy:

Way to go! I know exactly how you must've felt. It's kinda like when you're driving in heavy traffic and trying to merge into another lane. Finally, when someone let's you in, you feel so happy and grateful, you feel like waving a big "Thank You" sign out the window. I always wave my hand and smile so the driver of the other car knows I appreciate it. I'm sure the polite guy behind you appreciated your "appreciation" of him.

Toejam
Ooo! Ooo! Ya know what I hate? It's when you let someone into line when you know they're going to be sitting with their flasher on for 15 minutes if you aren't a nice person. So you wave them in and they pull into line without even looking at you or waving or acknowledging your action at all. Whenever that happens I have to follow them to their destination just to kill them.

Very cool thing you did for the right actor - bet it made his day!
Old 02-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

People who don't pull over for ambulances bug me. First, it's the law (at least around where I live). Second, it's just common decency. If it was you or your mother or wife or child who needed an ambulance, I bet you would want all the drivers to pull over so the ambulance could get to you or the hospital.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

W**K
landover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

In my enthusiasm for posting I didnt notice car dealers until after I had clicked on Insurance agents. Premature clicking- a problem I suffer from quite frequently.

As an attorney- I'm sure most of those votes for lawyers were just several cases of premature clicking- lawyers being the first on the list and all... I'm just sure of it...
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 07:16 PM   #58

terrorist, spammer, theif, cheater, scam artist, barbarian, etc. I will think of another list later.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

1. financial consultants.

2. child molesters

3. howard k. stern
newyorklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:10 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorklady
1. financial consultants.

2. child molesters

3. howard k. stern
Howard K. Stern: Not to be confused with Shock Jock, Howard Stern. Although I am sure he is also on some people's hate list.