Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2022, 09:31 AM   #61
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm curious how so people mention paying 12% for their Toth conversion, but someone else paid 22%. Is it based on the amount of conversion? I would like to convert my entire 401K to a Roth when I retire which will probably be over a million. Just curious.
jdnd9091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2022, 09:37 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnd9091 View Post
I'm curious how so people mention paying 12% for their Toth conversion, but someone else paid 22%. Is it based on the amount of conversion? I would like to convert my entire 401K to a Roth when I retire which will probably be over a million. Just curious.
Roth conversions are treated as ordinary income tax, so people paying 12% on their conversions are in the 12% bracket, and those paying 22% are in the 22% bracket. It basically is just a reflection that some people have (or choose to have) more taxable income than others for any number of reasons.

In 2021, I was in the 12% bracket based on my taxable income, but because of tax credits my actual federal income tax was $0, so I effectively had a 0% tax rate on my Roth conversions. In 2025 I tentatively plan to convert to the top of the 24% bracket, so I'll be taxed at 24% on my last Roth conversion dollars.

Depending on your overall circumstances, your $1M IRA may be a runaway, meaning it might be too large for you to convert as much as you want in the timeframe you want and still be beneficial to do so.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:13 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabby01 View Post
Between Fed and state about 40% mid six figure. Medicare Maxed out IRMAA and about $6k for my supplemental. Me only. Wife still working but her medical is still under my company I retired from (great benefit) for a 90/10 plan for around $70/month. Will miss that once she hits Medicare age
500k?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:26 AM   #64
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
Income Tax $5,400

Health Insurance $16,200 (unsubsidized ACA premium for DW & I)
Curious, your Income Tax is low enough that it looks like your implied income level would qualify you for ACA subsidy. What am i missing?
ElCheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 10:50 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCheapo View Post
Curious, your Income Tax is low enough that it looks like your implied income level would qualify you for ACA subsidy. What am i missing?
Perhaps the difference between AGI and taxable income? Or preferenced vs. ordinary income? Or tax credits?

For MFJ in 2021 in the lower 48, 400% of FPL is $68,960. 2021 standard deduction is $25,100 for 2021 for MFJ. That implies a taxable income of $43,860. If that's all ordinary income, then the federal tax on that is $4,867, which is already below what they said they paid in income tax.

Could be they included some state income tax as well, but if they had preferenced income such as LTCG or qualified dividends, then their AGI might be even higher given their tax bill. And if they had tax credits, depending on how they chose to treat them, those would result in a lower tax bill relative to AGI.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:31 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANOFJESUS View Post
500k?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swabby01

Between Fed and state about 40% mid six figure. Medicare Maxed out IRMAA and about $6k for my supplemental. Me only. Wife still working but her medical is still under my company I retired from (great benefit) for a 90/10 plan for around $70/month. Will miss that once she hits Medicare age

500k?

$750k+ I should think for highest IRMAA level MFJ
Old 01-19-2022, 12:08 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Retire Mar 2021. Got a giant severance package. No Roth conversions or tax harvesting.

Income tax = $161k

Health care annual premiums:

Medical: $300 I am retired military and pay $25 / mo for Tricare

Dental: $360 This started as work coverage, then Cobra and now Benefeds

Vision: $240 same as dental

For 2022, I will have my pension, deferred comp and some more severance. All the extras end in 2024, so I'll use 2025:

Income Tax: $2500 Just my pension and the normal dividends. No Roth conversions but will tax gain harvest to the top of the 0% LTCG bracket. If I do Roth conversions, too, I will balance the tax gain harvesting with the Roth conversions to keep them in the 12%/15% bracket

Health Care premiums: The same. $900/year.