Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-04-2018, 04:13 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireBy90 View Post
I consider that a necessity. Rented a machine one time and my back hurt for couple weeks. I think they came from dark ages torture devices.

Again, for us with eyesight declining a necessity

And here, our HOA says no clothesline’s
We consider doing all these things as part of our longevity. Actually, we’ve been doing our carpet for years. No biggie. No back hurting. But it’s a team effort between my husband and I.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #62

Better colonoscopy prep drink is the only thing I can think of at this time lol
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:26 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
LOL, just got back from 2 weeks in Switzerland and 1 in Austria. I concur, Switzerland is a real splurge! It's probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen though.
Our splurge is also European travel. We substitute Austria for Switzerland as it's much easier to travel through there and far less expensive. The Alps are the Alps--same mountains.

The south side of the Grossglockner High Alpine Highway is just as beautiful as any place we've ever seen--around Lienz, Austria. It's south of Zell-am-Zee.

My hobby is finding budget airfares that are so inexpensive we just have to go. We flew from Ireland in May to the U.S. for $158, for example.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #64

Spending a little more on hobbies, mostly on high-quality clothing and gear for whitewater kayaking and biking.

Since my eyesight has deteriorated, I splurge on having the hairdresser wax my eyebrows instead of trying to maintain them myself. I can’t see without my glasses, and the glasses get in the way when trying to pluck[emoji53].

I may also be splurging on hair color, but only my hairdresser knows for sure[emoji6]
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Bicycles. Guitars. Flutes. Socks.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #66
Administrator

I splurge on DW
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:49 PM   #67

15 Day cruise to Hawaii in Club Class Mini suite. for our anniversary. Renting a plane in Maui to fly to Hana.
Ship leaves and arrives in LA NO airports!
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:30 PM   #68

Beaches Turks and Caicos: https://www.beaches.com/main/tc/tc-home/

Just did our 8th trip there, number 9 is booked for 2019.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #69
Administrator

Travel, food and wine.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I splurge on DW
This is my new hobby. Instead of R/C airplanes & helicopters, telescopes, garden tractors, watches and cars (all past hobbies), I am now making my wife my hobby. After 20 years as a Navy wife and 10 more as a corporate executive wife, she deserves the time of Nicky.

Not sure what this means yet, but we'll figure it out together.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #71
gone traveling

I recently bought hundreds of dollars worth of jewelry. It was a lot of fun shopping. But the irony is... I personally don't wear jewelry. These were gifts for my nieces and auction items for charity. I don't have near as much fun shopping for my nephews.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:08 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Not sure I could call splurging, spending to much on gas, but I wouldn't have to go as much as I do, so I really do splurge buying gas for my pickups. Way to much. LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I like buying passes and subscriptions for events and attractions like parks, plays, museums, etc. We try to go to some kind of event every other day.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
Better colonoscopy prep drink is the only thing I can think of at this time lol
I think you win!

This thread!

This website!

The whole damn universe!

You win....
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Spending a little more on hobbies, mostly on high-quality clothing and gear for whitewater kayaking and biking.
My wife and I just splurged on new hiking shoes. $270 for the two pairs. We've never spent that much on shoes before but they were sure comfortable when we went hiking.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:21 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
My wife and I just splurged on new hiking shoes. $270 for the two pairs. We've never spent that much on shoes before but they were sure comfortable when we went hiking.
Brand?
Old 10-04-2018, 11:30 PM   #77

Amazed at the number for folks flying first and business...

Oh, we doubled our travel budget compared to our spend while w*rking, and we still went over budget last year. One of the best years of my life!

We eat out a lot, maybe 4 to 5 times weekly. Usually a substantial meal between lunch and dinner, in part to avoid the "crowds". Cooking something tasty seems too much of a bother for just the two of us. More specifically, I just hate the prep w*rk and cleaning. DW is an excellent and health cook, but I don't want to burden her most days. So I get stuck with the chopping and dishes.

Of course, while traveling, we eat out every day. We stay in midrange hotels so someone else does all the cleaning. It's not a vacation if we've got to cook or clean.

We replace appliances if they are older than 6-8 years and stuff starts to go wrong. It may be cheaper to repair, but we don't bother. We just buy low-mid end models from brands of known better reliability. Just throw-away junk...

I don't do my own auto repair or even maintenace anymore. No time when w*rking. No desire now that I'm retired. Got better things to do, like coffee on the deck and a bike ride with DW...
Old 10-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
LOL, just got back from 2 weeks in Switzerland and 1 in Austria. I concur, Switzerland is a real splurge! It's probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen though.
I remember being on the train in Switzerland and the homes whose back yards abut the railways are all neat as a pin vs in the US they are typically dumps.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:38 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Travel and eating out. We are having a big party in our backyard on Saturday and I hired a live singer, people can dance, etc. That’s a first for us.

What a great idea! Have fun!!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:01 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Like you, I like working on a really nice laptop computer, not just a crummy minimal one. And I especially love for it to be NEW. I just simply adore getting and setting up a brand new slick and shiny laptop, so I probably do that more often than anybody could ever justify. I average about 20 months between laptops. What can I say? Some people hate setting up a new computer but I get a huge kick out of it and I love that they have become so cheap in recent years.

As for steak, I love it and eat it quite often.

I buy gasoline at the nearest Exxon station, instead of no-name gas that is cheaper.

We eat a light lunch out every day, although not any place very expensive. That's usually either a cup of soup, or a small green side salad, for weight loss reasons. So, no daily over-the-top feasts and I regard the menu as totally a giant fable of "in your dreams" choices, not as choices a normal human could make. Average cost of lunch so far this year has been $8.34, including tax and tip. But the luxury of not having to ever do cooking or cleanup for lunch, is priceless.

I set the thermostat for whatever temperature is most comfortable for me, and save energy in other ways instead.

I love doing jigsaw puzzles on my iPad, and the program that I use (which is free) offers packages of maybe 30-60 jigsaw puzzles for prices ranging from $0.99 - $3.99 or so. Every month or two I order another. I actually *COULD* just do the same jigsaw puzzles over and over but I enjoy doing new ones.

Hoping to get more ideas from this thread!

I love doing jigsaw puzzles on my iPad. Got the idea from you, W2R, and have gotten hours of free enjoyment! Thank you!!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote