Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: What do you think of RUTH (Ruth's Chris)?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:46 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Of course, students of behavioral accounting would point out that all of that separation-type mental accounting is so much marsh gas...
Mental accounting, sure, but I viewed it as the firebreak that kept me from inflicting my brilliance on the ER portfolio.

I also didn't have to justify my picks to my spouse!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Mental accounting, sure, but I viewed it as the firebreak that kept me from inflicting my brilliance on the ER portfolio.

I also didn't have to justify my picks to my spouse!
If my wife had any say in our investments we would be 100% in FDIC insured deposits with some gold bars thrown in the mix.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:16 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saluki9
If my wife had any say in our investments we would be 100% in FDIC insured deposits with some gold bars thrown in the mix.

My wife would be fine as an investor since she would probably gravitate to a low cost balanced fund and ignore it except to chuck in more money. Boring, but it would get her there eventually.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:07 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Nords, thanks for the well thought out reply! I do post on fund alarm a bit, and have started to post here but I found them a bit friendlier. I.e. when I poster my portfolio here it got ripped apart while everyone at Fund Alarm loved it, all I have to say is proof is in the pudding as am handily beating the EFA and SPX to the tune of 20% over the past 7 months, when I started.

But from your post I get the feeling like stocks just aren't worth it, and I should stick to my trust buy and hold funds. To put this in perspective, I've got 100k between Vanguard and Firstrade, and 2k to gamble, either poker, or RUTH, and I was just curious what you thought about this individual stock, since I'm obviously too lazy to do the work myself. I just fired up M star today and saw it as one of their small growth picks, and I thought it might be fun to add a little spice to my portfolio. Indexing/ active management isn't sexy, but it's certainly the way to get rich, what I wanted was a fun way to treat myself, and add some spice.
AirJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirJordan
all I have to say is proof is in the pudding as am handily beating the EFA and SPX to the tune of 20% over the past 7 months, when I started.
Well, hey, it's hard to argue with long-term performance like that.

Quote:
But from your post I get the feeling like stocks just aren't worth it, and I should stick to my trust buy and hold funds.
I didn't say that. I said that successfully picking individual stocks is far more work than it appears to be, and investors may not be compensated for the additional risk. But the results of that investing may also be far more rewarding than index funds.

Quote:
since I'm obviously too lazy to do the work myself.
what I wanted was a fun way to treat myself, and add some spice.
Then you should go to Vegas or try some other form of entertainment, because you appear to have confused the term "investing" with "gambling".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nords, thanks for the well thought out reply! I do post on fund alarm a bit, and have started to post here but I found them a bit friendlier. I.e. when I poster my portfolio here it got ripped apart while everyone at Fund Alarm loved it, all I have to say is proof is in the pudding as am handily beating the EFA and SPX to the tune of 20% over the past 7 months, when I started.

But from your post I get the feeling like stocks just aren't worth it, and I should stick to my trust buy and hold funds. To put this in perspective, I've got 100k between Vanguard and Firstrade, and 2k to gamble, either poker, or RUTH, and I was just curious what you thought about this individual stock, since I'm obviously too lazy to do the work myself. I just fired up M star today and saw it as one of their small growth picks, and I thought it might be fun to add a little spice to my portfolio. Indexing/ active management isn't sexy, but it's certainly the way to get rich, what I wanted was a fun way to treat myself, and add some spice.
In the end, it's your money, and you can do what you want. I gave your my opinion, which you obviously missed............I'm not a fan right now of Red Lobster, Applebees, Ruth's or anyone else now. Cheesecake Factory was a good play awhile back but their price is a little frothy for me...........

If we have a correction/ little recession, one of the FIRST things people dial back on is going out to eat.............Ruth's is hardly a recession-proof business.........

As far as so and so saying this is their "growth pick of the year" or whatever, I usually run away from such advice...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #27

tsk tsk .... where are all of the buy and hold indexers here?

If gambliing is what you want, go to Vegas and put it all on a hard 8..... pays better than red or black....

imo Ruth Chris has EXCELLENT quality steaks and the service is tremendous ... dang now I'm hungry again ... and it's hours to dinner ....
Old 05-11-2007, 04:42 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I think Ruth's Chris is overpriced and can only succeed in areas where everyone pays on expense account. The one in Sugar Land, Texas (One of the wealthiest counties in the county) went out of business b/c there is no business traffic in this bedroom community.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture
I think Ruth's Chris is overpriced and can only succeed in areas where everyone pays on expense account. The one in Sugar Land, Texas (One of the wealthiest counties in the county) went out of business b/c there is no business traffic in this bedroom community.
Yup! I bet 75% of the $$$ spend at RCs is expense account money. I'd be more concerned about business spending than consumer spending.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hah. I walked by it once, looked at the menu prices and kept going. For the price of dinner for two, I could buy an entire tenderloin at costco, cut into 10-12 very thick steaks in about 5 minutes, and eat well for a couple of weeks.

As far as stock picking...most people I've seen have as many bad ideas as good ones. But quickly forget about the bad ones.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:56 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
...all I have to say is proof is in the pudding as am handily beating the EFA and SPX to the tune of 20% over the past 7 months, when I started...
[removed original unnecessarily inflamatory response. All I'll say instead is that I wish I could be this young again...I'm jealous]
skyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #32

This thread inspired me to take a look at HOTT and ELON, the last two individual stocks I owned before I converted entirely to indexes (and, ahem, BRK). I'm happy to see that the indexes beat them since I divested.

I think everyone who has aspirations of being a good investor has to go through the stock picking phase, and the earlier you can get it over with the better.
free4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:58 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I can't afford to buy their stock... Because I ate there and have no money left.

I have not followed their stock. I was not even aware they were a public company.

I did take a look. Here is my take. invest in mutual funds. If you want to invest in individual securities, take some finance course at the university and read, read, read.

Join the American Association of Individual Investors, Follow a know approach in a disciplined way (for example CANSLIM).

Aside from just getting lucky (not unlike gambling and taking much risk)... what do you think you can earn by investing in individual securities over the long-term? Pick a % of total return (pre-tax)... Do you think you can beat the market? That is what you are setting out to do.

I believe you can beat the market as an individual... but only by a small % (on a risk adjusted basis)... That is unless you get very lucky and know when to fold your cards and stop!

Good luck!
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Example, I started buying WHI around $5.25. I think it is easily worth $10 when they work through their credit issues and I have little fear of them completely imploding. I kept buying down to a bit under $5. When teh stock slumped down to $4.65 or so, I was full up, so I bought the longest dated $5 strike call options I could get. We will see how this works out over time, but the Q1 results they put out suggest that they are already working through their credit issues and the PR bank scene is just waiting for a wave of consolidation.

Out of idle curiousity, Brewer, I looked up WHI. I saw a 102:100 split 3.5 years ago. For the equity ignorant (such as myself) can you explain what purpose is served by a 102:100 split?

Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko

Out of idle curiousity, Brewer, I looked up WHI. I saw a 102:100 split 3.5 years ago. For the equity ignorant (such as myself) can you explain what purpose is served by a 102:100 split?
Search me. Sounds more liike a 2% stock dividend. Never looked back that far on the split history since I tend to think splits are meaningless.

Could also have been some kind of maneuver. PPD did a 100:1 and then a 1:100 split instantaneously taht allowed them to force everyone with less than 100 shares to sell their stock to the company.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote