Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The literal or technical definition of a millionaire is one who has over a U.S. $1 million in financial assets. The true meaning, however, is one who has over $25 million (U.S.) since the term was first coined in the late 1800s to symbolize wealth. That is, someone who can afford mansions, limousines, yachts, jets, luxury, expensive trips, etc.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2007, 08:47 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

I inherited some money a few years ago, but after some research quickly learned that retirement with a half million was not in the cards! Still inching my way toward that first million, I've been interrupted by this summer's market shenanigans and beginning to put my kid through college. Alas, not only have I not reached it, but hitting the big $1mm isn't going to be the answer!

A few more years of work, sigh.

Anne
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:03 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok, so if $1 million is a millionare what constitutes a multi-millionare?
xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:06 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz View Post
Ok, so if $1 million is a millionare what constitutes a multi-millionare?

Multi means many... so, some will say that 2 is not multi, but I do.... if you do not, then it is 3...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #65

Multi = 2 or more. However, a multimillionaire means a person having several (whatever that means) millions of units of currency. A million Vietnam Dong (VND) is only worth $61.5858 USD. Thus, a multimillionaire in Vietnam is the same as a multimillionaire in the U.S.
Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
The literal or technical definition of a millionaire is one who has over a U.S. $1 million in financial assets.
Really? What is your source for the US currency requirement? That seems quite ethnocentric.

I suspect that people living in, say, Australia or Canada would probably consider themselves to be "millionaires" if they had over a million dollars in their respective currencies. And an Englishman with a net worth of £1 million would be worth rather more than an American with US$1 million.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

These days, it would take a net worth of about 5 mil to be comfortably extravagant.
Not there yet and don't think I will be.
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
......... And an Englishman with a net worth of £1 million would be worth rather more than an American with US$1 million.
Yes and an Englishman worth a billion pounds would be about 2000 times as rich as an American billionaire.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #69

Quote:
Really? What is your source for the US currency requirement? That seems quite ethnocentric.

I suspect that people living in, say, Australia or Canada would probably consider themselves to be "millionaires" if they had over a million dollars in their respective currencies. And an Englishman with a net worth of £1 million would be worth rather more than an American with US$1 million.
DW and I qualify as Canadian multi-millionaires (if 2 or 3 is enough). We also qualify in US$ since the C$ is worth about US$0.96. WE don't really think we are 'multi-millionaires' in any currency. Multi-millionaires have yachts, private jets, mansions, servants, fine cars etc. We live like our neighbours except we don't have j*bs.

Edit to add: I expect that most C$ millionaires expect to be US$ millionaires within a year.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #70

Quote:
I agree.

We must be careful not to discriminate against other civilizations such as the Fisher-Price People of the Plasticscene Era. Their units of monetary exchange were invisible. We hypothesize that many were millionaires, due to the large number of convertibles that they were found in, or found laying next to.

Research continues, but grants have not been forthcoming. We appeal to Ottawa for funding.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I expect that most C$ millionaires expect to be US$ millionaires within a year.
No kidding, eh.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

They say that a million dollars won't buy happiness, but it'll make one hell of a down payment.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:01 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
They say that a million dollars won't buy happiness, but it'll make one hell of a down payment.
If I ever reach a million, I'll let you know! (I'm not holding my breath, though.)

Seriously, once the basic needs for adequate food and shelter are met, happiness is pretty much a do-it-yourself project (at least for me).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Millionare
Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #74
Confused about dryer sheets

Millionare

Our net worth is approx 2M. As an earlier poster stated, we live much as our neighbors (probably more LBYM) except we don't work, at least for pay.
It does create a sense of security, and time to enjoy the smaller, more subtle elements of life. We're currently planning our daughter's wedding, which is great fun, although it will reduce our net worth by 50K or so.
Bruce
burnthiscube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Kinda off topic in a way, but I think being a millionaire to me, basically can be summed up in this.

Before when say a water heater exploded and made a mess, there was incredible stress, the stress of taking much needed money and cleaning up, and buying a new water heater, and then worrying about other bills. Or if something stopped working at my store it was just mass mass stress.

Now when something breaks, it is still super annoying, but that pit of fear in the stomach is gone. It is more of a "O well, just fix it". It still sucks spending the money, but I don't sit up all night worrying anymore.

Besides that it is all about the same to me. (except I have zero tolerance for rude customers when they start with me now hehe)
Bigritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigritchie View Post
Kinda off topic in a way, but I think being a millionaire to me, basically can be summed up in this.

Before when say a water heater exploded and made a mess, there was incredible stress, the stress of taking much needed money and cleaning up, and buying a new water heater, and then worrying about other bills. Or if something stopped working at my store it was just mass mass stress.

Now when something breaks, it is still super annoying, but that pit of fear in the stomach is gone. It is more of a "O well, just fix it". It still sucks spending the money, but I don't sit up all night worrying anymore.

Besides that it is all about the same to me. (except I have zero tolerance for rude customers when they start with me now hehe)
You have GOT to be kidding! When you had less than a million, say, $900,000, you sat up all night worrying about other bills when something like your hot water heater broke? :confused:

Who knew I was such a (comparatively) mellow person?

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
...Seriously, once the basic needs for adequate food and shelter are met, happiness is pretty much a do-it-yourself project (at least for me).
That is very well said.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
I expect that most C$ millionaires expect to be US$ millionaires within a year.
Well, there it is. Your post was correct, except that it should have ended "within two weeks".

How low will the dollar go?! Sometimes I think most Americans are entirely unaware that their financial futures are being mortgaged to the Iraqi invasion and their purchasing power /standard of living is steadily eroding ... but ignorance is not bliss.