Join Early Retirement Today

What does it mean to be a professional?
Old 11-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What does it mean to be a professional?

I saw this term used in a thread today and it reminded me that I had always wondered what it meant to be a "professional".

Does it mean you have to be a doctor or lawyer?

I worked in the computer business in various roles, include g high-priced contract programmer and later I had the title of "director" at a company that at times was traded on the stock exchange. Does that pass the cut?
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post
I saw this term used in a thread today and it reminded me that I had always wondered what it meant to be a "professional".

I worked in the computer business in various roles, include g high-priced contract programmer and later I had the title of "director" at a company that at times was traded on the stock exchange. Does that pass the cut?
Umm yes....
Old 11-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Besides doctors and lawyers, I can tell you what it means in Nevada to a lot of people.

No matter what your profession is, being a professional doesn't mean you know what you are doing or that you are any good at it... In my case I spent over 40 years in the same "field/profession" and I even earned a couple of industry related top professional certifications. I had a bunch of letters behind my name and my fancy title but I never felt I was anything special in my chosen field...
Old 11-28-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
Administrator

I would say that a "profession" typically has specialized knowledge, typically reflected in specific education and training requirements, including some sort of governmental licensure barrier to entry, which serves to limit the numbers in that profession. There are also usually professional organizations (membership in which is often mandatory) that set and uphold standards of conduct in the profession, violation of which can lead to removal from the profession. Many, if not most, professions have a distinct vocabulary related to their particular area of expertise that is not readily understandable to outsiders. Also, many professionals tend to internalize their profession as part of their identity. Finally, I think that for many professions there is an expectation, by both those in the profession and those outside, that the members of the profession have some enhanced responsibility to the common weal/public good.

I don't see this list as either exhaustive or exclusive, but these are the characteristics that I observe most professions to have in common.
Old 11-28-2021, 05:42 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To me a professional is someone who makes a career of their occupation, continues to keep up with or assist in advancing new technologies or other developments in their field, and assists in training others entering the profession.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:02 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

At the most basic level, it means it is your profession and not just a random job. I wouldn't say I'm a professional burger flipper if I worked at McDonald's but I might say I'm a food service professional if I owned the McDonald's.

Certainly what you described would make you a professional in your field.
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:03 PM   #7

What Gumby said.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
To me a professional is someone who makes a career of their occupation, continues to keep up with or assist in advancing new technologies or other developments in their field, and assists in training others entering the profession.
Right, like the world's oldest profession.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Being a professional means keeping a stiff upper lip and not going off on the idiot who asks you to do some thing that is not your job, or worse unethical.

Also, I second what Gumby said.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:23 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

In engineering it means that you have a PE license after passing the FE and PE exams. I've worked over three decades in engineering without this, and I don't aim to retire into a role providing engineering services to the public or expert witness testimony, so becoming a Professional is not on my bucket list.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 10:39 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I was a professional blue collar worker.
Old 11-28-2021, 10:41 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Being a professional means keeping a stiff upper lip and not going off on the idiot who asks you to do some thing that is not your job

That sounds more like being a union member.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:41 AM   #13

I don't see where it really matters except when applying for a job. Then they will make the decision for you.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:54 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
What Gumby said.
+1 like lawyers, doctors, accountants, architects, engineers, etc. and they are typically licensed by the government or accredited by a professional organization.

from Wikipedia:

Quote:
A Profession is a disciplined group of individuals who adhere to ethical standards and who hold themselves out as, and are accepted by the public as possessing special knowledge and skills in a widely recognised body of learning derived from research, education and training at a high level, and who are prepared to apply this knowledge and exercise these skills in the interest of others.

A profession is also an occupation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply disinterested objective counsel and service to others, for a direct and definite compensation, wholly apart from expectation of other business gain. Medieval and early modern tradition recognized only three professions: divinity, medicine, and law, which were called the learned professions. A profession is not a trade and not an industry.

The term profession is a truncation of the term liberal profession, which is, in turn, an Anglicization of the French term profession libérale. Originally borrowed by English users in the 19th century, it has been re-borrowed by international users from the late 20th, though the (upper-middle) class overtones of the term do not seem to survive re-translation: "liberal professions" are, according to the European Union's Directive on Recognition of Professional Qualifications (2005/36/EC), "those practised on the basis of relevant professional qualifications in a personal, responsible and professionally independent capacity by those providing intellectual and conceptual services in the interest of the client and the public".

Some professions change slightly in status and power, but their prestige generally remains stable over time, even if the profession begins to have more required study and formal education. Disciplines formalized more recently, such as architecture, now have equally long periods of study associated with them.

Although professions may enjoy relatively high status and public prestige, not all professionals earn high salaries, and even within specific professions there exist significant differences in salary. In law, for example, a corporate defense lawyer working on an hourly basis may earn several times what a prosecutor or public defender earns.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Like most things, "it depends".

How you use the term depends upon context. It can simply mean being paid, as in "amateur" vs "professional".

First google hit on "amateur":

Quote:
am·a·teur

noun: amateur; plural noun: amateurs

1. a person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid rather than a professional basis.

adjective
adjective: amateur

1. engaging or engaged in without payment; nonprofessional.
"amateur athletics"
And as was just mentioned by dunkelblau, in engineering circles "Professional Engineer" has a very specific meaning, you earned/maintained your license, passed the exams, can testify in court, etc. To refer to yourself as a "Professional Engineer"
w/o those specific credentials would be fraudulent.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I would guess in general as there are exceptions to everything, practicing what one was highly educated for. For Example and Engineering Degree, Medical, Law, Business, etc. I do not think a plumber, electrician, grave digger, welder, or most Blue collar workers would be considered Professionals. But honestly it is a good question, as I think we assume, Doctors, Lawyers and Indian Chiefs qualify for the handle.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the noun, as in the original question about "a professional" is pretty clear, as described in the quote from wikipedia above.

The ambiguity comes from the use as an adjective to describe some activity or person's actions in a general sense.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
That sounds more like being a union member.

Ha, ha, yes but the union guy's got a contract. I think that's supposed to mean something. Dagwood Bumstead and Darrin Stevens have to jump directly for Mr Dithers and Larry Tate, ostensibly for the big bucks
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:39 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

What I was thinking of when I asked the question was sparked by comments like "want to live in a gated community with other professionals" or "seeking male professional for sex and long walks on the beach."

Sounds like snobbery to me. Like people who insist on being called doctor in social settings.
joesxm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:53 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesxm3 View Post

Charging a fixed and agreed upon fee for a service or product. I would consider a physician who charges $5000 to do a procedure a professional…she cuts you open and spending on what she finds, it may take her 2 hours or 10 hours to address the issue. But regardless, they charge the same fee…$5000. I would NOT consider a CFP who charges a fee based on AUM or an attorney who charges by the hour not to be professionals. It does not mean they don’t do important and/or meaningful work, but their fee is not fixed.
ProGolferWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote