Join Early Retirement Today

What does this mean?
Old 03-04-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What does this mean?

My company was just bought out, and the 401K was moved from Principal to Paychex. I was automatically enrolled in a year 2045 retirement plan. I want to rebalance to 100% S&P 500 ETF, and when I went to make the change, this notice popped up:

"100% Schwab S&P 500 Index
A purchase block will be placed on an American Fund if your redemption for that fund exceeds $5,000.00. The block will be in effect for 30 days unless another time period is specified in the fund's prospectus."

What does this mean? And my 401K balance that I will be rebalancing is greater than $5000.
dirtbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
My company was just bought out, and the 401K was moved from Principal to Paychex. I was automatically enrolled in a year 2045 retirement plan. I want to rebalance to 100% S&P 500 ETF, and when I went to make the change, this notice popped up:

A purchase block will be placed on an American Fund if your redemption for that fund exceeds $5,000.00. The block will be in effect for 30 days unless another time period is specified in the fund's prospectus."

What does this mean? And my 401K balance that I will be rebalancing is greater than $5000.
What is the name of the 2045 Fund you are leaving? Is it named "American Funds 2045 or similar?

I would suspect this message is saying that you will be blocked from re-purchasing the 2045 fund again for 30 days since you are effectively selling it now (to buy into the S&P 500 Fund).

Sometimes mutual fund companies restrict selling and re-buying within a short time period to minimize chasing the market.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
What is the name of the 2045 Fund you are leaving? Is it named "American Funds 2045 or similar?

I would suspect this message is saying that you will be blocked from re-purchasing the 2045 fund again for 30 days since you are effectively selling it now (to buy into the S&P 500 Fund).

Sometimes mutual fund companies restrict selling and re-buying within a short time period to minimize chasing the market.
+1
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:10 AM   #4

Yes, that's called a round-trip restriction. Very common with mutual funds.

Nothing for you to worry about, I think.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:11 AM   #5

Assuming that’s settled, it might be a good idea for the OP to start a thread discussing why they’re going from a balanced fund to 100% stocks. That’s a bit beyond “rebalancing”.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Assuming that’s settled, it might be a good idea for the OP to start a thread discussing why they’re going from a balanced fund to 100% stocks. That’s a bit beyond “rebalancing”.
It sounds like his money was automatically placed in the 2045 fund when his employer switched to the new 401k administrator. They probably put everyone's money in a fund based on their age by default and then left it up to the employee to move it into desired funds if they want.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:34 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank you everyone! That makes sense. Gotta love the quick replies I always get here in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I'm getting back to 100% stocks. In the principal fund, I was 100% in an S&P 500 ETF. When they changed companies, I was automatically put into this one.
dirtbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

looks like it's a cooling-off period? I'd read your SPD or plan document
Old 03-04-2021, 04:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Thank you everyone! That makes sense. Gotta love the quick replies I always get here in this forum.

I'm getting back to 100% stocks. In the principal fund, I was 100% in an S&P 500 ETF. When they changed companies, I was automatically put into this one.
That makes a lot more sense. Best to you.
Old 03-04-2021, 06:39 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If the OP has a 24-year horizon until retirement, I see nothing wrong with being in the S&P 500, 100%. Still, some diversification might be warranted.