Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
... have been evicted in the past for non-payment of rent, but he drives a Lincoln Navigator.
We've noticed that our tenants have parked their commuter SUV in favor of using a PT Cruiser. They still use window A/C (in a Hawaii home with no insulation and jalousie windows) but they've retrofitted CFLs instead of incandescent bulbs and I'm sure they've cut back on the $700 electric bills. But they recently added a baby to their family.

I'm just happy that he has a good civil-service job and a military pension. In the current credit/housing environment I doubt that they'll be buying a home anytime soon...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We've noticed that our tenants have parked their commuter SUV in favor of using a PT Cruiser. They still use window A/C (in a Hawaii home with no insulation and jalousie windows) but they've retrofitted CFLs instead of incandescent bulbs and I'm sure they've cut back on the $700 electric bills. But they recently added a baby to their family.

I'm just happy that he has a good civil-service job and a military pension. In the current credit/housing environment I doubt that they'll be buying a home anytime soon...
Wow, bonus for you. Sounds like a good long-term tenant!
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:10 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
Wow, bonus for you. Sounds like a good long-term tenant!
Shipmate of a shipmate. We had a deposit practically before the movers even packed out my parents-in-law. We nearly doubled the rent and, although it's probably time to raise it again in a few months, I hesitate to threaten the golden goose.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...although it's probably time to raise it again in a few months, I hesitate to threaten the golden goose.
Yep, that'd be my position. I've never been a landlord and frankly don't want to get into that business, but if I were I'd certainly find great value in a long term, paying, well-behaved tenant. Too many horror stories out there about bad tenants. But you know that.

Good luck!
Gardnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
Ha is right that we are not done learning lessons yet. We still need to see how this concludes.
This is a good thread and I will take this opportunity to come up with the lessons. More later.
This downturn has been a good test of my financial plans. Like the shakedown voyage of a new ship, this market has revealed where the problems and weaknesses are (keep bailing!). Whether or not my portfolio will work for me is yet to be determined. Emotional weaknesses have been revealed. I would like to have 2 years work of cash type assets to fall back on. It would help in turbulent markets like these. Once storm clouds pass and it is sunny again, I will build this reserve.
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #46
Dryer sheet aficionado

I hope the recent oil/credit crisis teaches everyone that:

1. You do not need a 10mpg SUV to commute to work by yourself
2. If you can't pay cash for a car - you probably can't afford it
3. If you can't put down 25% on a house or if the mortgage is more than 33% of your income (pretax) - you probably shouldn't buy it

We can't continue to live on debt....
Old 09-30-2008, 08:28 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My learning so far:
Having no debt and living expenses in a safe place makes it much easier to sleep with the noise of the current chaos
For every deregulation, a new version of scam and cheat will appear.
When you see behavior that makes no sense (110% mortgages, money lent to people who can not qualify for "real" financing, success being defined by hedge funds, etc etc), don't just watch and wonder, start looking for the exit and be happy if you are early.
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote