Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Me too and that "thinking" caused me to work a couple more years than I really needed to work. I have since re-calibrated my spend rate and I am now blowing that dough since I now realize I'll never even see 90. Maybe 85 and that's pushing it.

Please tell us, How do you know that you'll never see age 90?
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 04:34 PM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
Yup, Me too! ....

But what is still amazing to me, is that when you are talking about Social Security, the "Take it at age 62 Crowd" usually cannot see past age 83 (The Break-even Point).

That is a pretty broad generalization. Some people may take SS at 62 and have enough to live to age 200, making when to take SS fairly irrelevant.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

I intend to take mine at full retirement age which is 66.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup, Me too! ....

But what is still amazing to me, is that when you are talking about Social Security, the "Take it at age 62 Crowd" usually cannot see past age 83 (The Break-even Point).
We're getting off topic, but the breakeven age has absolutely nothing to do with my taking SS at 62 and I think we have the 1432 threads on the subject to prove it
Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Please tell us, How do you know that you'll never see age 90?
I have had (and watched) several of my relatives make it into their 90's and one was even over 100. I'm far too much of a sissy to live like that!
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:44 PM   #106

My plan is to have enough money to pay someone to wipe my butt if need to. Otherwise I guess if I run out of money I will wipe my own butt.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
My plan is to have enough money to pay someone to wipe my butt if need to. Otherwise I guess if I run out of money I will wipe my own butt.

TMI
Old 08-14-2018, 07:06 PM   #108
gone traveling

Timely:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/08/14/sam-...overblown.html
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
What If You Run Out of Money?
Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #109

What If You Run Out of Money?

Quote:
TMI

I agree. However this is the lowest common denominator. Also unfortunately I know this from experience (from my dad). Bottom line if you run out of money it totally sucks.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
There is no way I would have ever retired if FireCalc had my funds depleted by 87 ! I wanted 100% to age 100.
Quote:
Me too and that "thinking" caused me to work a couple more years than I really needed to work. I have since re-calibrated my spend rate and I am now blowing that dough since I now realize I'll never even see 90. Maybe 85 and that's pushing it.
I don't know if I worked a few extra years yet, but I am hoping I did so that I can give myself some excellent unscheduled, unbudgeted, surprise gifts ! THAT will make working those extra 2 or 3 years worthwhile
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #111
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReadyToRetire View Post
I hope this is the right place to post this question.

I'm wondering--what would happen to someone who literally ran out of money before they died?

I mean, if someone is in their 80s and penniless, would society really let them just die in their home? Does it depend on where you live and what kinds of social services are available there?

Does anybody actually know anybody who ran out of money after they retired because they didn't save enough?

This isn't meant as a stupid question, or a heartless one--just an honest one.
People die all the time, alone and not found for days (or longer). How many are destitute seniors, I don't know.

Churches or local organizations assist destitute seniors. Meals on Wheels, although that's been cut to the bone. Most people have kids who help or take a parent in, probably.

If someone, no matter his age, loses all income, that's a person who might become homeless, I guess.

Most people get Social Security, though, so they have SOME income. If that's the case, I think there are low-rent projects, govt sponsored, that would help someone with a low income rent a small place. Medicaid or Medicare would help with health care.

This was actually the reason the govt started Social Security in the first place. Before Soc Security, the majority of seniors lived in poverty. After Social Security was started, only about 25% live in poverty, I read. I think that's the percentage I read.

This is my greatest fear: running out of money because of some huge expense I didn't count on. I've done all I can to prevent that. If I lose everything, I have a plan.
Bpollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
I don't know if I worked a few extra years yet, but I am hoping I did so that I can give myself some excellent unscheduled, unbudgeted, surprise gifts ! THAT will make working those extra 2 or 3 years worthwhile
And that's exactly what has happen (or is happening) to me now. I think the problem for many of us, "in such a position", can be recognizing soon enough in retirement that you have more than enough of a cushion and can begin to "blow that dough". That's almost harder to do than deciding to retire but you "Live And Learn".
Old 08-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReadyToRetire View Post
OK, so the gist so far is that yes, there are programs out there that would hopefully keep such a person alive (though maybe with not much of a "life").

So if we wouldn't die if we ran out of money when we were, say, 87 (which is what FireCalc is currently showing for me, for example), why do we worry so much about those last few years? Is it worth taking a couple more years off THIS end of my life (by continuing to work, I mean) to make sure I have money at THAT end? (<--I know that's COMPLETELY subjective. But doesn't anyone else think about that?)
I've not heard of FireCalc before, so I just looked at it and ran it. The info on the first page says it assumes you won't be getting Social Security or a pension, though. So if your FireCalc said your money would take you to 87, it would actually be longer, if you will be getting Social Security.
Bpollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #114
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpollen View Post
I've not heard of FireCalc before, so I just looked at it and ran it. The info on the first page says it assumes you won't be getting Social Security or a pension, though. So if your FireCalc said your money would take you to 87, it would actually be longer, if you will be getting Social Security.
The short answer is yes, if the future is no worse than the past couple of hundred years.

Be sure you click through and complete the inputs on all the tabs:
Attached Images
File Type: png Tabs.PNG (13.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:04 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Sadly, I know someone that didn't work enough to get Social Security. The person is in their sixties and broke. He is living in a shelter and getting social services. None of us want to end up there. I don't think anyone here will end up there. If it happens there are social services for living life a a fairly low level.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
.....missing details like exclusions or caps on healthcare insurance can cost into the six or even seven figures....
Got some examples there? I don't see that as a realistic concern unless one is totally clueless.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:45 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpollen View Post
If you click on the "Other Income/Spending" tab, there is a page for entering Social Security and/or pension. Firecalc will then include these income sources in its calculations.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 AM   #118

My grandmother died without any money at age 94. Her last few years were in a wonderful home in Washington State all paid for by Medicaid/SS. So I guess she didn't totally run out of money; all those years she worked as a nurse and paid into the system paid off. Worse than running out of money is running out of kith and kin.
muchohucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:13 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm far from an expert on SS but I thought the surviving spouse began receiving the SS of the deceased spouse. On the strength of that assumption I am planning to wait until 70 before claiming SS as a bit of extra insurance for my wife.
If my husband died (or I died), the survivor's SS income would go down by 48%. DH and I have similar SS, mine is slightly higher. So if he dies I lose his and I die, he gets mine and loses his.

Of course, I have considered this and calculated whether the survivor could make it if that occurs.

Quote:
Yup, Me too! ....

Bit over-generalization. I took SS at a little under age 63 and the break even point was not a factor in my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doribe View Post
Sadly, I know someone that didn't work enough to get Social Security. The person is in their sixties and broke. He is living in a shelter and getting social services. None of us want to end up there. I don't think anyone here will end up there. If it happens there are social services for living life a a fairly low level.
Some people who don't receive SS if disabled can get SSI. It isn't a lot but is something.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:24 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Got some examples there? I don't see that as a realistic concern unless one is totally clueless.
Sure, why do the research yourself when you can just question my assertion? Here you go. Oh, and don't forget, some people work hard for low pay until 65 and are lucky to retire with low to mid six digits.

Sky-High Deductibles Broke the U.S. Health Insurance System

Insured, but Bankrupted Anyway (short, but contains a couple of good sources)

Even With Insurance, Americans Can't Afford Their Medical Bills