Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-19-2015, 02:59 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

On the one spreadsheet I use (and i-orp), I use 1.5% real. As has been mentioned, the spreadsheet is probably worthless, but it was a good starting point at the time to know if I was even in the ballpark. I didn't know about FireCalc, ******** and others at the time.

To show you how inaccurate predictions can be: on a sheet I did in Quicken in 1993 (they only had a simple calculator then), I assumed 7% real. How things have changed...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Before I retired, I used to do projections with various investment rates of return. Often I used 5% and assumed 3% inflation, but also tried various other rates.

But now that I am in my 7th year of retirement, I don't do any of that any more. My financial situation has turned out to be just fine with the market thriving as it has. Plus now I have SS and basically everything is coming up roses.

Now, if hyperinflation should occur I might be back to doing projections. But, so far so good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
Was your 5% including inflation or nominal?
5% nominal, 2% real

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I wonder what you mean by hyperinflation as opposed to plain old high inflation?
Above I wrote, "Now, if hyperinflation should occur I might be back to doing projections." I probably should have added, "Now, if plain old high inflation should occur I might be back to doing projections." But what is "plain old high inflation", and what is not? Maybe the question really is, "W2R, where do you draw the line? By what criterion will you decide to do further projections?"

Now that I am retired, I have little motivation to run further projections unless/until I feel that conditions are such that my retirement could possibly be in jeopardy unless I ramp up the LBYM markedly. For example, if inflation (~~>> spending) rises significantly faster than yield (~~>> income), I might decide to drop everything and start diving into the numbers again.

At the moment, given this year's CPI, and yield that is providing me with more than adequate income, I do not feel especially impelled to work on this problem although it is an interesting one.

In the future? Who knows. Maybe I'll just take it as it comes.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 04:27 PM   #23

I've projected the next 4 years using 2%, 3% and 4% Rates of return. Just trying to guess what I might have when I start SS.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I use 2% real for stocks and 0.5% for bonds for any point in the future.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1% real return.

Maybe 3% inflation and 4% nominal return.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #26

I used 6% nominal in the past, thinking about changing it to 4% nominal.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Gave up using rates of return and projections.

We've been retired for 16 years now. If our net worth keeps up with inflation, I'm quite happy.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:44 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

We mainly use the Fidelity RIP with the most conservative setting and have a spreadsheet with real returns and inflation as parameters. We usually model with a 0 - 1% real return in the spreadsheet.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:22 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I think people who assume 20th century (8% real) returns for stocks are going to be sorely disappointed.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #30

I use 2%.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
I think people who assume 20th century (8% real) returns for stocks are going to be sorely disappointed.
Either that or we (with our 0-4% real) will be pleasantly surprised. Oh well, we'll see. Better safe than sorry.
hnzw_rui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:47 AM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 523HRR View Post
1% real return (4% nominal, 3% inflation)

Same. 1 percent real return before taxes regardless of AA mix. It's a simple rule of thumb , but thats what I use.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:35 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

4% total return for a 50/50 allocation.
Turn_the_Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
But who did?

S&P 500 Return Calculator - Don't Quit Your Day Job...

2.3 % real returns
7.0 % real returns if Dividends are reinvested.

It is always the same. Nothing changes. So I expect something similar over entire 21st century. I have no idea what it will be over next 10 years.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #35

Thanks to all who shared. I concur that the spreadsheet exercise is largely useless but I continue to revise and project. For me it's a form of entertainment. 😁
Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
I used 6% nominal in the past, thinking about changing it to 4% nominal.
I use 4% and have for 13 years. It projects a positive balance forever (ignoring LTC). I used to use CPI but concluded that it does not reflect our reality.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Retired now but I used 0-2% real returns in my modeling, but I was looking for a conservative result - a likely worst case I could expect barring various black swans. I'd rather have an upside surprise than downside...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is Rick ferri's forecast.

http://www.rickferri.com/blog/invest...cast-for-2015/ Hoping he is right but not counting on it.

With social security we are fine with .5%. But would love for it to be higher
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:26 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Gave up using rates of return and projections.

We've been retired for 16 years now. If our net worth keeps up with inflation, I'm quite happy.
Net worth keeping up with inflation after spending makes you happy?

Oh man, there are people who expect more than that?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

So if you use a real return of 0, does that mean you don't really need to inflate any numbers on your spreadsheet year to year? For example, if I need $40,000 for 30 years with a real return of 0% for both inveatments & expenses, then I need $1,200,000 (30 x $40,000)? Am I looking at this correctly?

Racing for the FIRE finish line, but I don't know where it is.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote