Votes: 28 14.9%
  • $5 Million

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • $10 Million

Votes: 10 5.3%
  • $25 Million or over

Votes: 5 2.7%

• Total voters
OK so it looks like most people answered the question litteraly.
Am I guessing right when someone tells you something like "I'll be back in just a minute". ? Do you count to 60 seconds... ;)

The others that answered "what Net Worth affords a Yesteryears Millionaire Life Style In today's money" mostly chose $5M

perinova said:
Am I guessing right when someone tells you something like "I'll be back in just a minute". ? Do you count to 60 seconds... ;)

The others that answered "what Net Worth affords a Yesteryears Millionaire Life Style In today's money" mostly chose $5M

So $1 million is either worth $1 million or $5 million, depending on your perspective.

I'm still not satisfied with that. I say we take those numbers and double them and then cut them in half.

Peaceful_Warrior said:
This is how I view a "millionaire" as well.

The rule of 7 says I'll get there in about 20 years.

What is the rule of 7?

Mathematical sums don't define wealth; the ability to control your time and quality of life does. Walter Mosley

For me that says it all. That is the whole point of FIRE.

calmloki said:

Don't knock it until you've tried it. A few years ago I travelled around the world and found it actually felt quite nice to
get a rinse after doing my business. In Tokyo I tried one of these multifunction toilets, and it made a believer out of me.
There is something really nice about feeling totally clean, warm and fresh too. I resisted the urge to buy one of these
but I betcha it's going to be the new metrosexual thing over here. Certainly does a lot more for you than granite countertops.

free4now said:
Don't knock it until you've tried it...... Certainly does a lot more for you than granite countertops.

WEll sure, but who uses granite countertops? They're too heavy, not very absobent, and don't flush worth a darn.

free4now said:
Don't knock it until you've tried it. A few years ago I travelled around the world and found it actually felt quite nice to
get a rinse after doing my business. In Tokyo I tried one of these multifunction toilets, and it made a believer out of me.

I have two of them in my house, and am not a millionaire by any definition. Ok, the lids don't open and close
automatically, the flushing is manual, there is no built-in blow-dryer, and they are not tankless... But the rest of
the features are pretty standard equipment these days. Anything less just feels uncivilized.

remember what i once heard

the first million was hard to make, the 2nd comes a lot easier

perinova said:

No, you would be guessing wrong.
However, if you asked me how many seconds are in a minute I sure would answer 60 ;)

Hey, but it's one fast toilet.

the toiltet isn't that much of a ripoff, get much better use out of it than purse, which can easily cost much more. isn't new york city a sick place? but if you are rich or wealthy depends upon the cost of living in your area and also your own perception. For NYC I feel that I am well off maybe even wealthy if I look at the big picture and not just a small little world of people I went to school with, husband's co-workers etc. I am also not tied down to the notion of living in Manhattan for the rest of my life. If you are have just a million dollars in NYC I don't think that you are wealthy or rich. A few million, well off enough, and five million then you are set. But for New York I really consider ten million plus to be the defining mark, and I absolutely don't meet that by far, and that would just be on the lower scale of wealthy. However, I don't really care as I can take my money and go live somewhere else very nicely and be the big fish in a little pond. I am not one of those rich Manhattan kids that grew up with uber wealth, went to the right private schools (for high school but kindergarden is even important to these people). But I am honestly glad that I am not as I enjoy life, don't get plastic surgery every year, have an eating disorder, a toy dog I carry around and an inability to form meaningful relationships. This sounds cruel on my part, but something about the very wealthy can be sickening if you fall into the trap of it all. Of course not all of them are like this, but walk around the upper east side of manhattan and you can see the plastic surgery victims and all sorts of weirdness.

There really is something to be said for earning enough money to retire early, not stress too much and not fall into the trap of more more more money. After a point, how much do you really need?

Interesting that throughout this thread the ratio of millionaire to millionaire plus votes has been about 2 to 1. That has been pretty constant.

Back
Top Bottom