Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Obviously SWR varies according to numerous factors. A couple examples:

How far out is your assumed horizon -- 50 years? 40? 30? 20? Put simply, a 65-year-old can safely withdraw a higher percentage than a 45-year-old, ceteris paribus.

How much of a legacy do you wish to leave behind? The entire amount of your principal at retirement, or none, are two extremes.

Big ERN at earlyretirementnow.com has done some great work around these factors and others.

I like BCG and am very sorry to see him gone.
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

At a zero real return, if you are planning for a 30 year retirement, a safe withdrawal rate would be 3.33%, 100 / 30 years = 3.33%. If you can do better than zero like a TIPS ladder, this could be a higher depending on your real return. Current TIPS yields are published here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/markets/ra...nment-bonds/us
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
There is only one SWR that offers the guarantees you seek: 0%

BlueCollarGuy's withdrawal rate appears to be 0% - most of the rest of us come in a little bit higher....
Does not say "gone traveling" under his name.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #24

I am treasurer of a not for profit and I have set the withdrawal at 3.5% which is just about the current yield. This is designed to be a "perpetual" withdrawal rate. I think this is very safe but if you can adjust in a down market (they can) , I think it is extremely safe. Very conservative investments 80/20 all Canadian div payers.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Everyone here is wrong, the correct answer is 2.73489% Anything else will just fail utterly.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Does not say "gone traveling" under his name.
That's funny. It did the other day.

The inner workings of the forum are mysterious.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Everyone here is wrong, the correct answer is 2.73489% Anything else will just fail utterly.
Very close, but not exactly.

The actual answer is 2.3809524.
Just divide 100 by the ultimate answer (42).
Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

One thing I think we suffer from is a lack of standardized terminology. For this thread, are we talking about:
What the initial withdraw rate we start with and increase with inflation every year?
Or do we just mean how do we not go to zero?

The reddit thread with Bill Bengen seems to say it's 4%.
From a practical perspective, align it with giving yourself enough runway so you are able to adjust your spend/purchases during bear markets and periods of high inflation,
What is a safe perpetual withdraw rate?
Old 08-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

What is a safe perpetual withdraw rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I miss him. No idea what got him thrown out of here, but his enthusiasm was delightful.

Back on topic, I've always read that 2% is the safe perpetual WR.

I would've missed him too if he was actually gone.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #30

Apparently he's back. I'm glad. Must have been a misunderstanding.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:03 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I think the withdrawal rate is affected by the length of retirement. I retired at 46 and withdraw approx 2% per year.
OnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBeach View Post
I think the withdrawal rate is affected by the length of retirement. I retired at 46 and withdraw approx 2% per year.
I've been averaging about 1.6 in the first three years. On pace for roughly the same this year. Pulled the plug two month shy of my 47th birthday. Will be celebrating 4 years of ER next month.[emoji106]
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

When I retired I looked at all the studies and calculators. My determination from my meta study was that 3.21 % would sustain in perpetuity. This is with inflation adjustment and 60/40. YMMV.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:07 PM   #34

For perpetual, I would think you would have to consider the portfolio amount each year. Take out 2 or 3% of the total value each year. If your portfolio tanked, be prepared to cut back your spending. If it went way up, then you could take out more. You would have to be flexible.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:16 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeitz View Post
What do you consider a safe withdraw rate without the possibility of running out of money? Assuming a 60/40 AA in a Vanguard 4 fund portfolio and not taking in consideration any other factors? 2.5%, 3%?

Thanks for the comments!
Pick your version of "safe" from the table below. Note that time horizon, which you did not specify, is an important factor.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Exactly My Plan
Old 08-23-2017, 06:24 PM   #36

Exactly My Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
For perpetual, I would think you would have to consider the portfolio amount each year. Take out 2 or 3% of the total value each year. If your portfolio tanked, be prepared to cut back your spending. If it went way up, then you could take out more. You would have to be flexible.
This is my plan, at least while I am relatively young (hopefully with a very long horizon).

I will likely adjust down the road if no one finds the secret of immortality in time to do me any good.

I have spent much of my life without the guarantee of specific income: Significant bonuses and/or overtime in good years, potential of zero income between consulting engagements in bad years, etc.

Honestly, I always thought people had a false sense of security when they assumed their job/paycheck would be the same in December as it was in February. I have seen too many downsizings, bankruptcies, etc. to feel secure in my W-2 income stream.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #37

To me, perpetual means effectively generational. So your single heir will have as much real assets as you did. I believe I read in the "4 Pillars" book that in the real days of the British Empire (18th to early 20th century) that they used 3%. Of course, a really big war, having more than one heir, or an irresponsible heir will derail the perpetualiness right quick.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:36 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
... At what point are the odds of running out of life much higher than running out of money?...
I am there already. Almost kicked the bucket 4 years ago, despite considering myself healthy. There are genetic or random health risks that can hit you out of the blue.

Monetary risk, I can handle by cutting back, and live on just SS if need to. Worst case, I can always load all I can into my 25' motorhome and head off into the woods.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:56 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Monetary risk, I can handle by cutting back, and live on just SS if need to. Worst case, I can always load all I can into my 25' motorhome and head off into the woods.
I did a barebones calculation which involved cancelling everything (car insurance, umbrella policy, motorcycle insurance, sailboat insurance, cell phone, Netflix, traveling, Amazon purchases), loading up on supplies and living here in the mountains on our land using solar power and well.

It came out to about $289 a month including our ACA policy, although really we could just drop back to Medicaid and get that figure well under $200 a month.

For $200 a month you only need a portfolio of $60,000 but you could get by on a lot less than that if you did $2000 worth of checking account churning.

Maybe I should keep $60,000 in a 1 year CD then I can always run Firecalc with 100% success.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:57 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Ugh, I am frugal but $200/month is too tough. Being older, we are only 1 year away from early SS, and it's a lot more than that.

Still, if people sit down and figure out what the essentials are, it's a lot less than what they spend. Of course it makes a huge difference that you already have some capital, such as your land, your tiny home or RV, septic tank and solar panels, etc..., but after spending at least a couple of decades working one should have been able to accumulate something.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote