Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
A word on what actually constitutes a valid claim in the eyes of an insurer- one poster here (Nords?) ended up having to pay for an expensive professional evaluation of his father because the insurance company disagreed that he needed LTC.
Yep. The main problem is that many insurers rely on "tests" like the Mini-Mental State Exam, which many Alzheimer's patients can still pass even in mid-stage.

Another problem is that insurers use the criteria of Activities of Daily Living: eating, bathing, dressing, toileting, transferring (walking), and continence. Again many Alzheimer's patients can do all of these things, but not necessarily safely and with problem-solving skills like running out of groceries.

Why I Won't Buy Long-Term Care Insurance - Military Guide

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 09:26 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since the Genworth LTC thread is unavailable and I had a thought to share on self-insuring for LTC, I decided to bump this thread.

According to the American Association of Long-Term Care Insurance website (http://www.aaltci.org/long-term-care...erm-care.php):

Quote:
For someone with a 90-day Elimination Period, the lifetime chance of someone buying coverage at age 60 and using policy benefits was 35%. So, 35% will use their coverage and 65% will not. As you might assume, the decline is because during those first 90 days, some people will recover and some will die.
Quote:
Average Length of Stays (Nursing Homes)
5 years or more 12.0%
3 to 5 years 12.0%
1 to 3 years 30.3%
6 to 12 months 14.2%
3 to 6 months 10.0%
less than 3 months 20.0%
So, if you ignore the less than 3 months above because of the 90 day elimination period, the expected length of stay is about 2.13 years.... I'll round that up to 2.5 years to be conservative. At $85k/year (the average annual cost in my area) the expected value of claims is ~$74k (2.5 years * $85k a year * 35% chance of making a claim).

Worst case, assuming a 100% chance of a 7.5 year stay is $638k. Best case is $0.

I can afford the worst case though it wouldn't be easy but I just don't see the value of LTC insurance when I can self-insure.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What happened to the Genworth thread? I was looking forward to a few answers to some questions??
Old 05-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #124

I agree! My brother keeps telling us we need LTC insurance. In our area, depending on the care, living with some but minimal medical care, maybe a nurse on 24 hour call, in independent apartment with meals, it is @ $3000-$4000/month. We spend @ $6000 now. These are pretty nice apartments with kitchens. We live in our own home. A professor in the area who lived a shy over 100, had a full time nurse live in his home for @ $70K/year.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:44 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I can afford the worst case though it wouldn't be easy but I just don't see the value of LTC insurance when I can self-insure.
I think you are underestimating the exposure. A lot of LTCI payouts are for in home care, not NH. Also, you'd need to know readmission rates for NH care-- those who do live and check out after a year are not immunized against coming back.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:45 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden sunsets View Post
What happened to the Genworth thread? I was looking forward to a few answers to some questions??
My guess is the mods got their fill of his not-so-veiled sales pitch and removed it to decide what to do.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I think you are underestimating the exposure. A lot of LTCI payouts are for in home care, not NH. Also, you'd need to know readmission rates for NH care-- those who do live and check out after a year are not immunized against coming back.

The claw back period is 5 years for Medicaid to kick in, and statistically most people simply either do not need LTC or do not live that long. So there's my plan - we each have 5+ years covered from savings, plus we'd still have our SS, pension and the remaining balance of the portfolio income coming in and a house to sell. I don't know what the alternative is - save some crazy amount like $5M just for LTC on a slim chance we might both need extended care for decades? We would never have been able to retire if we had to do that.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #128
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Since the Genworth LTC thread is unavailable and I had a thought to share on self-insuring for LTC, I decided to bump this thread.

According to the American Association of Long-Term Care Insurance website (http://www.aaltci.org/long-term-care...erm-care.php):

So, if you ignore the less than 3 months above, the expected length of stay is about 2.13 years.... I'll round that up to 2.5 years to be conservative. At $85k/year (the average annual cost in my area) the expected value of claims is ~$74k (2.5 years * $85k a year * 35% chance of making a claim).

Worst case, assuming a 100% chance of a 7.5 year stay is $638k. Best case is $0.

I am married so using your figures for two people that is $1276K and that assumes no inflation (or your investment keeps up with LTC inflation) over those 7 years and you go into a nursing home tomorrow 20-30 years LTC could be much more expensive (i.e.4-5% inflation rate) or much less expensive if there are significant improvements.

Of course where I like LTC at todays prices is $87,000(semi-private) to $108,000 (private room) for nursing home in private room,

If you assume your investments grow at least as fast as LTC inflation than I guess you need to have $1,276,000 to protect the worst/worst case moving forward waiting until a couple might go into LTC for 7.5 years. I would not do that but I may purchase a hedge against that case in the form of LTCi.
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #129

Quote:

So, if you ignore the less than 3 months above, the expected length of stay is about 2.13 years.... I'll round that up to 2.5 years to be conservative. At $85k/year (the average annual cost in my area) the expected value of claims is ~$74k (2.5 years * $85k a year * 35% chance of making a claim).

I feel this way too. I had read years ago that folks in the middle (don’t recall amount but think it was less than $1-2 million in assets) are the ones who really need LTC insurance. Over that, one can self-insure. And if you’re poor, Medicaid covers you.

Plus, the LTC landscape is evolving. Many traditional nursing homes are struggling financially and some have already closed. More to come I believe. Odds are, if we ever need skilled nursing, it won’t be until 25+ years from now. Who knows what services will be available then and what they’ll cost? Not all facilities accept all insurance so private pay if one can afford it gives more choices.

But insurance is not one size fits all. Some people get peace of mind by having it so YMMV.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:36 AM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

1. The average cost of repairs from a house fire is $11,290. Would you decide to either not carry insurance or to carry some reasonable multiple like 2.5 x that amount as insurance for your home? We could easily afford $11K or grudgingly $110K in fire repairs to our home....we pay for insurance to avoid the $500K+ problem that we would not be able to handle. Averages are a rather terrible way to consider risk, imo.

2. Costs quoted here were much below the experience of in-home caregivers in California if you do everything aboveboard and legally. That is doubly true with the new overtime laws that apply. Of my two in-laws and one parent, only one spent any significant time in a nursing home (2+ years) -- but the costs of in-home care were substantial. Many people who want in-home care can't get away with four or five hours a day, unfortunately. Getting coverage 7 days a week, including holidays, runs a bunch of bucks. Board & care homes (if available in your state) are much less expensive, but were not acceptable to any of the parents or in-laws.

3. If you're married, big issues when one of you needs a very high level of care (more than assisted living) and the other doesn't need care but isn't physically able to provide substantial care to the disabled one. We weren't able to find ANY facility that would both provide for my mom and allow my dad to live in an apartment with her. In-home care was the only option.

It is an ugly problem. MIL was spending $120K/year on her aides and luckily had some long term care insurance to pay a portion of the bills -- and we handled them as employees. A service would have been even more expensive, though we did use a service for vacations and short-term fill-ins. (And this expense was after 2+ years of FIL in a nursing home.)
Potstickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:13 AM   #131

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
I feel this way too. I had read years ago that folks in the middle (don’t recall amount but think it was less than $1-2 million in assets) are the ones who really need LTC insurance. Over that, one can self-insure. And if you’re poor, Medicaid covers you.

Plus, the LTC landscape is evolving. Many traditional nursing homes are struggling financially and some have already closed. More to come I believe. Odds are, if we ever need skilled nursing, it won’t be until 25+ years from now. Who knows what services will be available then and what they’ll cost? Not all facilities accept all insurance so private pay if one can afford it gives more choices.

But insurance is not one size fits all. Some people get peace of mind by having it so YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potstickers View Post
1. The average cost of repairs from a house fire is $11,290. Would you decide to either not carry insurance or to carry some reasonable multiple like 2.5 x that amount as insurance for your home? We could easily afford $11K or grudgingly $110K in fire repairs to our home....we pay for insurance to avoid the $500K+ problem that we would not be able to handle. Averages are a rather terrible way to consider risk, imo.

2. Costs quoted here were much below the experience of in-home caregivers in California if you do everything aboveboard and legally. That is doubly true with the new overtime laws that apply. Of my two in-laws and one parent, only one spent any significant time in a nursing home (2+ years) -- but the costs of in-home care were substantial. Many people who want in-home care can't get away with four or five hours a day, unfortunately. Getting coverage 7 days a week, including holidays, runs a bunch of bucks. Board & care homes (if available in your state) are much less expensive, but were not acceptable to any of the parents or in-laws.

3. If you're married, big issues when one of you needs a very high level of care (more than assisted living) and the other doesn't need care but isn't physically able to provide substantial care to the disabled one. We weren't able to find ANY facility that would both provide for my mom and allow my dad to live in an apartment with her. In-home care was the only option.

It is an ugly problem. MIL was spending $120K/year on her aides and luckily had some long term care insurance to pay a portion of the bills -- and we handled them as employees. A service would have been even more expensive, though we did use a service for vacations and short-term fill-ins. (And this expense was after 2+ years of FIL in a nursing home.)
I’m in the same camp as PB4 on this issue. While ‘averages’ are just that, and they certainly do vary from state to state (we’re in Cali), in the case of LTCi I think they are a realistic way to evaluate the value non-value of LTCi.

The ‘home insurance’ analogy is fallacious because the products are completely different. Home insurance is widely offered, which means competition reduces premiums; it covers a defined $$$ liability; and most importantly, it covers the entire liability (minus any deductible).

LTCi is none of those things & performs none of those functions. It is not widely offered, premiums are neither competitive nor typically even known in advance; and, most importantly, LTCi covers a defined period/amount, not the entire LTC liability (which cannot be known in advance).

So, when deciding whether to buy LTCi, using an average (or what PB4 calls a “worst case”) is precisely what should be compared to the fixed (time and/or $$$ limited) benefit that today’s LTCi policies provide.

Of course, this addresses only the financial aspects of LTC, not the personal & emotional challenges described by Nords in his link above.

Below is a link to an excellent article on the financial aspects of LTCi.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/long-t...ent-buying-it/
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the home insurance analogy is silly... the fire part of my home insurance is ~$500/year... negligible compared to the risk of loss.

Also, with LTC there is a significant chance that the insurer will jack up the premiums if their experience is unfavorable... my home insurance might go up a little each year but nothing compared to some LTC insurance premium hikes.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:33 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by capjak View Post
I am married so using your figures for two people that is $1276K and that assumes no inflation (or your investment keeps up with LTC inflation) over those 7 years and you go into a nursing home tomorrow 20-30 years LTC could be much more expensive (i.e.4-5% inflation rate) or much less expensive if there are significant improvements.

Of course where I like LTC at todays prices is $87,000(semi-private) to $108,000 (private room) for nursing home in private room,

If you assume your investments grow at least as fast as LTC inflation than I guess you need to have $1,276,000 to protect the worst/worst case moving forward waiting until a couple might go into LTC for 7.5 years. I would not do that but I may purchase a hedge against that case in the form of LTCi.
Nah. If one person's likelihood of making a claim is 35%, then the likelihood of two people making a claim is only 12.25%. I'll take may chances thank you very much. If DW or I were to need extended nursing home care we would just divorce and each take our half and eventually would end up on Medicaid.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Here's my simplistic approach. Right now I spend about 140% of the average annual cost of skilled nursing home care in my area. It's funded partly by SS and a couple of small pensions and partly by withdrawals from my investments. My net worth has increased by about 2.3% annually in the 4 years since I retired, so this looks sustainable, and can be adjusted downwards in a bad market if necessary since my basic needs aren't that much.

Assuming that my investment returns keep pace with the increases in the costs of LTC, I should be fine. I know that the costs of an LTC facility will eat into my estate but leaving an estate is Priority #3, behind providing for my own LTC and paying for my grandkids' educations.

It also occurred to me that state partnership plans, while they're an excellent incentive to get people to take responsibility for at least some of their own LTC costs, are no incentive at all for me. Under any reasonable scenario (both my simplistic Excel projections and my financial advisor's fancy Monte Carlo simulations), I'l have too many assets to qualify for Medicaid when the LTC runs out, so Medicaid will never pick up. I guess that's a good problem to have.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:34 PM   #135

Like some here we consider our home equity as our LTC self-insurance program. One thing noted by athena53 on partnership programs at least in Indiana is that they shield your assets from Medicaid qualification to the extent you carry LTC insurance that is at or over the set dollar amount designated by the state. You then have total asset protection and all of your assets are disregarded by Medicaid to determine eligibility. Currently the Indiana amounts are $372,000 in asset coverage.

While we haven't taken this route it would appear to cover the event of multi-year care over the purchased coverage amounts.
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
Like some here we consider our home equity as our LTC self-insurance program. One thing noted by athena53 on partnership programs at least in Indiana is that they shield your assets from Medicaid qualification to the extent you carry LTC insurance that is at or over the set dollar amount designated by the state. You then have total asset protection and all of your assets are disregarded by Medicaid to determine eligibility. Currently the Indiana amounts are $372,000 in asset coverage.

While we haven't taken this route it would appear to cover the event of multi-year care over the purchased coverage amounts.
Thanks for that clarification- a better deal than I thought.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Nah. If one person's likelihood of making a claim is 35%, then the likelihood of two people making a claim is only 12.25%. I'll take may chances thank you very much. If DW or I were to need extended nursing home care we would just divorce and each take our half and eventually would end up on Medicaid.
God Speed with your plan!

$120,900: Maximum amount of assets that a healthy spouse can retain for the other spouse to be eligible for long-term care benefits provided by Medicaid, 2017. (Actual amounts vary by state.)

46.7%: The expected percentage of men turning 65 who will have a long-term care need during their lifetimes.

57.5%: The expected percentage of women turning 65 who will have a long-term care need during their lifetimes.

$0: Median household wealth for people who have lived in a nursing home for six years or more.

Here are some stats reported by Morningstar.

75 Must-Know Statistics About Long-Term Care
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Not so sure I would want my home equity to be my LTC piggy bank. That sounds like it would create a lot of chaos at a time when there will be little clarity. What if only one needs LTC? The other has to move? How do you tap it, HELOC? Can you cash flow a HELOC? Do you need to sell it? Moving is a pain when you are well and of clear mind. Couldn’t imagine selling at an advanced age. Removes options for in home care, maybe, maybe not. Reverse Mortgage? Devil is in the details.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Both buyer and seller are in the wrong business
Old 05-27-2018, 06:48 PM   #139

Both buyer and seller are in the wrong business

Quote:

Also, with LTC there is a significant chance that the insurer will jack up the premiums if their experience is unfavorable...
All by itself this is sufficient reason to avoid LTCi. You might as well replace "significant chance" with "the same probability that the sun will rise in the east tomorrow".

We buy insurance so we can manage risk at a price which we know to bear some relationship to that risk. If you don't know what the price will be, you can't evaluate its relationship to the risk.

And I'm not trying to disparage insurers. For the same reason you shouldn't buy it, they shouldn't sell it. They can't tell you the price because they don't know what their cost will be.

Of course, eventually a technology will probably arise which will transform the long term care industry, reducing its cost by orders of magnitude, thus obviating the insurance question:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg suicidebooth.jpg (53.4 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
Of course, eventually a technology will probably arise which will transform the long term care industry, reducing its cost by orders of magnitude, thus obviating the insurance question
I think this deserves a thread of its own, not a tangent here.

We retire early thinking we'll have long, healthy lives. After enough years, the reality of declining health starts to settle in.

I've given this some thought. If the perfect suicide pill could be purchased over the counter, I believe I'd buy one and put it in a home safe just for the peace of mind.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote