Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When $ will you/did you retire?
I accepted a reduction in living expenses to retire as soon as I could. 55 34.81%
I waited until I could match my pre-retirement living expenses. 86 54.43%
I worked as long I could to increase my retirement living expenses or security. 17 10.76%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a mixture of things....I still live like a poor college student, have no debt, and bought the car outright. I have a modest nest egg, changed careers, paid cash for school. I need to get back to saving more and investing more....took a hiatus for a year while living off of savings.
I have semi-retired at 34.....work 25-30 hours doing something I love.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Rich
Tampa, FL (13.1% retired)

Yay!!!!!! You even stretched it out to 13.1!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Rich
Tampa, FL (13.1% retired)

Yay!!!!!! You even stretched it out to 13.1!
You sure don't miss much ...

It increased that last .01% because at the moment I am relaxing at a beautiful campground on Sanibel, having just finished a long bike ride to the beach, lunch, and am gearing up for a power nap (not easy work, you know). I have to fit in a Dairy Queen run before it gets too close to dinner.

The result of all that recreation increased my FIRE motivation, explaining the increment. Thanks for noticing (love the emoticons). DW and I will take pictures this evening if we can.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Face it Rich, you're just fiddling with the numbers and fooling yourself. Vacations and long weekends are the working man's way of fantasizing about what retirement might actually be like - not that it appears you'll ever know.

That said, I hope you are enjoying your time off.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I chose #1. We had intended to wait until DH was 55 yrs--because then he would get his tiny Alaska pension($300/month) plus free retiree (and family) health insurance, including free prescription drugs.
Well, when DH was 51 yrs old, it suddenly occurred to us that he could have taken early retirement at 50 yrs and still get the same great health insurance deal. The pension would be "slashed" to $250/ month--but with fully-paid health insurance--who cares about that!
So we figured out how much money we would have to live on with our reduced savings and pensions if both of us retired right away. We decided we could do it, and so we both retired Jan. 2008. We spend less money than when we were working: we eat out less, buy fewer "things"--but we go hiking, camping, and RVing for fun...so we don't miss not being able to eat out very much.
Our frugal early RE has worked out great for both of us ! --and we don't regret retiring when we did at all. Our health has improved and our stress levels are low. We're having a blast !
rocketdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #46
Administrator

My situation doesn't fit the poll so I didn't vote. I quit when I had the opportunity without even knowing what a SWR was (I just celebrated 10 years of this yeaterday - see the thread here http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ars-46564.html )

We are spending less now but our standard of living has improved. But if I had to choose today between lowering our standard or returning to work, I wouldn't go back to work. The RE part of FIRE is jsut too good.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

It increased that last .01% because at the moment I am relaxing at a beautiful campground on Sanibel, having just finished a long bike ride to the beach, lunch, and am gearing up for a power nap (not easy work, you know). I have to fit in a Dairy Queen run before it gets too close to dinner.

The result of all that recreation increased my FIRE motivation, explaining the increment. Thanks for noticing (love the emoticons). DW and I will take pictures this evening if we can.
Rich, DW and I are down the road from you in Englewood for two weeks. The sunsets have been very good again this year. Had a great day of Saltwater fishing in the bay and a little ways out in the ocean. We even saw a bald eagle take a fish that happened to appear for it!

To not high jack the thread we are just ESR'd so I do not really know how to respond to the poll. we could retire at Just under 4% now but DW and I with kids are a little young and not ready for that since the work is my part time business and allows for all the travel we can squeeze when schools out.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Option #2 seems to be optimal for us. Our target is 3% SWR to support $60K of living expenses.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Face it Rich, you're just fiddling with the numbers and fooling yourself. Vacations and long weekends are the working man's way of fantasizing about what retirement might actually be like - not that it appears you'll ever know.
Ouch.

Yeah, it really sucks to like your job. .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #50
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ouch.

Yeah, it really sucks to like your job. .
Didn't mean to be so harsh. Heck, I know you're gonna retire - in just one more year.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:48 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
heh heh heh - I was a legend in my own mind when it came to cheap, frugal, tightwaditis, etc.
Take it easy greasy. Nobody likes a skinflint show-off!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #52

Hey, in Rich's line of work he really just got started. After all he was in school for 30 years.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 05:23 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Goooal!

Door no. 3?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg banner_dillybar.jpg (138.6 KB, 3 views)
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Kinda scary ain't it?
Quote:

That sounds lovely Rich....I'm so glad y'all are having a good time. With the holidays coming up, you just might squeeze out an additional 1%, but I won't hold your feet to the FIRE fire.....
Old 10-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #55
Administrator

How much one needs for FIRE is about money, but it's also about oneself. Three questions come to mind

How well do do deal with uncertainty?
How flexible are your and your finances?
Do you have options in case things don't work out?

I suspect that 4% is reasonable and 3% is much safer, but the difference between the two isn't worth the additional effort for some while others won't rest easy even with 3%. If you don't know yourself before FIRE you certainly will afterward.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #56
Gone but not forgotten

Yesterday at the gym one of the women was talking to me about her late husband and she said " We were married 44 years but because I was always working we really never knew each other ". This struck me as the saddest thing I have ever heard and certainly a reason to back away from your job .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 PM   #57

I wasn't quite sure how to respond to the poll because my expenses went down substantially after ER on account of no mortgage ( bought a smaller house on acreage with money left over from sale of the bigger house) and not contributing anymore to retirement programs. I chose door # 1 but I guess door #2 would be equally applicable since expenses on other stuff did not change much.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I voted door #2. My goal is NW CDN$3m for a 2% SWR of $60K, which is about what I spend now. No pension, which is why I am going for 2% SWR.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I voted door #2. My goal is NW CDN$3m for a 2% SWR of $60K, which is about what I spend now. No pension, which is why I am going for 2% SWR.
"Physician, heal thyself" - Don't you pretty much have that big bugaboo medical care that scares the rest of us kind of doubly wrapped up, being Canadian and all?
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #60
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post

Since you are only going for 2% if you need someone to leave all the excess to I'd be glad to oblige .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote