What is on your "Recession Things To buy List"

Oh, another thing to add to the recession list:

contractors... With people postponing home improvement projects, it should be easier to find a good contractor. There are a few upgrades we are considering: new bathroom hardware, new landscape lighting, new garage door opener, etc... It should also be easier to negotiate a good price...

Talking about that, guess who called yesterday just to chat? Our FA... Apparently clients are bailing out left and right and he wanted to know where we stood... He decided not to charge us his $1000 annual fee for 2009 if we kept him around at least until early 2011. Since we are stuck with the annuities he sold us until 2011 and given that fact that now is certainly not the right time to cash out of those annuities (they are invested 100% in equities, plus we would still lose $1000s in redemption fees on top of that), it sounds like a deal we will be glad to accept. Nothing like a good recession for consumers to regain some bargaining power...

Merino wool long underwear. The stuff is great...comfortable and warm and helps keep the heating bill down and good for winter strolls. I've just about worn out my last pair. Unfortunately, it's slightly pricey. My dishwasher is making some noise too, but I can ignore it after about a glass of Yellowtail.

Seems like there are always some good furniture and area rugs sales after the Holidays and maybe this year will even be better. Might be a good time to replace some hand-me-downs and hope the market might show some signs of life after the further blood bath I'm expecting from bad holiday sales.

And a winter road trip to warmer environs before OPEC drops production and gas prices go back up again.

FWIW, have a Samsung MP3 player. It's nice for some tunes when you're outside getting some excercise or drowing out your neighbor's gas powered lawn equipment. and also has an FM tuner which I think IPods lack. Unfortunately, I don't think you can do Podcasts. It's one of my few entries into the 21st century as I don't have a cell phone, cable, or high speed internet.

My wife and I don't see that we need anything. We have way too much stuff already, particularly since we have two houses! I live only 1/2 mi from Fry's Electronics, and go there at least once every week just to look around, just to be amazed at how cheap these electronics things get. I myself do not crave anything, and if given these things free, might not use them.

I still want to do some more foreign travels before we become too old, but it is costly and I do not feel good spending a lot of money with our portfolio dropping daily like it has.

We have not done Xmas shopping for years, not just now.

Been drooling over RVs and Travel Trailers for a while. Problem is, I'm not retired yet, still working in Asia, so I could only use it on home leave vacations. But, there are some pretty good bargains out there right now. RVs (and cars/other vehicles) seem to be living things though, and seem to deteriorate if not exercised...the warranty will have expired shortly after our return to the states...

R

Been drooling over RVs and Travel Trailers for a while. Problem is, I'm not retired yet, still working in Asia, so I could only use it on home leave vacations. But, there are some pretty good bargains out there right now. RVs (and cars/other vehicles) seem to be living things though, and seem to deteriorate if not exercised...the warranty will have expired shortly after our return to the states...
R

Never buy a new RV; they depreciate faster than cars. People will be throwing them at you in a recession - if they aren't living in them.

Buy list ?

I want, I want, I want is what got us into this mess.

Better save your money for more important things like... shelter and food.

Buy list ?

I want, I want, I want is what got us into this mess.

Better save your money for more important things like... shelter and food.

This may be the case if you are referring to the general population, however I would dare say this would not apply to most on this board.

You know if you really think we need to start stockpiling our assets to cover shelter and food I think we may as well start planning for the end of the world at the same time.

I am not expecting a miraculous turn around in the economy any time soon, however I am certainly not sharpening the razor blades ready to slit my wrists either.

Santa Turkey already brought the tool chest we've been wanting for over a year as an early xmas present for both of us.
other than that, no wish list. winter heating costs ate looming large and it's time to slow down spending even more. :cool:

Merino wool long underwear. The stuff is great...comfortable and warm and helps keep the heating bill down and good for winter strolls. I've just about worn out my last pair. Unfortunately, it's slightly pricey. My dishwasher is making some noise too, but I can ignore it after about a glass of Yellowtail.

Thanks for the reminder about Merino wool, Roger. When I go shopping in the back of the closet, that old old red merino polo cardigan will be a find. I did a couple of repairs on it and was a little embarrassed to wear it to work. Just the right color, holds its shape and color. Stuff from Lands' end lasts forever.

You without iPods, if you get a hankering for those podcasts or what-have-you, I gotta say that the best deal going is from Eritech online. You can get the older generation models with pretty big capacity for around $100. I bought one for DH last year from them and have been very happy with it. Mine I bought new 4 years ago and I love it--but I'm a music junkie and was the chick always making mix tapes in high school, so the playlist feature is way fun for me! Long commute, too, so I catch up on all kinds of news via podcasts.

I am thinking of getting the niece a DS Lite from Nintendo for Christmas. Only problem is, I think it is probably bad form to buy something like that for only one of them--she has two brothers and then I have two additional nephews that belong to my brother.

Here's an OT question: can an aunt give nicer gifts to one kid (she is the oldest) than the others without it being seen as favoritism?

Here's an OT question: can an aunt give nicer gifts to one kid (she is the oldest) than the others without it being seen as favoritism?

No. But just because one gift might cost a lot more does not mean the other gifts are less nice.

I have never owned an iPod, but mostly because I just can't justify it to myself. I don't think I would use it. They seem like black holes into which to toss money.

No iPod here either. I like silence.

I am putting in a new furnace in a couple weeks. The HVAC are practically BEGGING me to put in an AC unit too. We'll see, I think as comsumer I have leverage now......

No iPod here either. I like silence.

We like pop and easy listening music, but already have a no-name MP3 player. For music to listen to, when in a couchette on a night Eurail train, it's tough to beat.

If my wife finds a job so I can feel comfortable about dipping into savings a little bit, I'd imagine I could get some pretty good deals on a few little home improvement projects we've been considering.

I'd love one of these:

beertapper.jpg

I saw one of those draft beer things in Target this past weekend. Only problem is, the box says it's designed only for certain Heineken mini-kegs. Not that there's anything wrong with Heineken, but I'd hate to limit myself.

Firedreamer, if you need any help with your trip to Scandinavia, let me know. My neck of the woods as it were....

My cousin and I are thinking about doing that too, trying to see if our husbands would take a golfing trip so we won't feel guilty. We are pondering going to Bo, Telemark, Norway to visit our grandfather's birthplace at the end of this foray. Does anyone know if Bo is accessable by public transit? The train from Bergen to Oslo doesn't come close.

If anyone is considering buying a boat, this is the best market in many years to do so.

Back
Top Bottom