Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-18-2008, 11:07 AM   #101
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not buying yet but looking at boats, condo's in florida, and classic cars.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #102
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
We got our own coffee machine about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. Cost about $250, ours is a nespresso machine - costs about 52 cents for each coffee pod. Have to say since we got it we have cut way back on going out for coffee so it has well and truly paid for itself.
Considering the strange things I've imbibed over the last few decades under the name of "coffee", I have a hard time spending money for more than a Mr. Coffee. But at least now I'm filling it with Kona.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:09 PM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Nords, color it brown and call it coffee and I'm happy with it--it has to be oil change waiting room bad for me not to drink it. But DH has been eyeing the tres expensive espresso makers so a machine <$200 for a "big" birthday will make him tres happy, recession be damned. And at 60 cents a serving, it will pay for itself by the time the markets hit bottom

I'll check out the nespresso, DM--that looks like a good machine too.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Haven't been into "stuff" for ages. I'm probably the only poster who doesn't own an Ipod. Buy my CD's at GW or SA. $1 or $2 at most. Have WAY more than I can ever listen to.
Like you I don't own an iPod, and I only own 10 music CD's. I bought them back in 2000, when I bought a car with a CD player - - then realized I never listen to them, so I haven't bought any more.

I'm not entirely unmaterialistic, though. My daughter was playing "Animal Crossing" on her Wii when I visited her in Oregon last weekend. I really want to play that game!! I might even buy it today after work. It just came out, so it isn't a recession bargain at all, unfortunately.

I don't know what recession bargains I might encounter and buy, though as I mentioned in a previous post, I'd love a treadmill and possibly there could be more for sale from people who need a little spare cash.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #105
Gone but not forgotten

[quote=Bestwifeever;749245]Nords, color it brown and call it coffee and I'm happy with it--it has to be oil change waiting room bad for me not to drink it. /quote]

I was the world's worst coffee maker until I bought my grind & brew now my coffee is pretty good . At $99.00 it has paid for itself many times over .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #106
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Nords, color it brown and call it coffee and I'm happy with it--it has to be oil change waiting room bad for me not to drink it.
I prefer drinking the 5 AM wake-up brew that was made at 9 PM in a 40-cup percolator filled by a two-cup measuring scoop out of a 20-pound coffee can into a leaky metal filter and left to simmer all night on a steam turbine... preferably into a coffee cup that hadn't been cleaned since the last refueling overhaul beginning of the deployment.

Of course, being submariners, we used nuclear-grade distilled water.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:19 PM   #107
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Like you I don't own an iPod, and I only own 10 music CD's. I bought them back in 2000, when I bought a car with a CD player - - then realized I never listen to them, so I haven't bought any more.

I'm not entirely unmaterialistic, though. My daughter was playing "Animal Crossing" on her Wii when I visited her in Oregon last weekend. I really want to play that game!! I might even buy it today after work. It just came out, so it isn't a recession bargain at all, unfortunately.

I don't know what recession bargains I might encounter and buy, though as I mentioned in a previous post, I'd love a treadmill and possibly there could be more for sale from people who need a little spare cash.
I bought a 2005 car in 2007; after several months I noticed it had a CD player.

I own ~15 music CDs; haven't played them in a while.

Maybe I'll buy some exercise equipment.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:28 PM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I picked up two new Compaq laptops from Wally World for $300 each last week. (I like 'em ok but figure that's about what they are worth )

DW & I got to WW & in the line at 0745. Manager came down the line a few minutes later counting & told us we were #45 & 46 in linne and that he had received 44 on the truck. So we waited & turns out we got the last two (2 people's credit cards didn't clear - is that a sign of the times? or just normal?)

Supposedly WW is going to be having some special like this every Saturday morning - but it won't be heavily advertised, you have to "find out" about it somehow.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texarkandy View Post
DW & I got to WW & in the line at 0745. Manager came down the line a few minutes later counting & told us we were #45 & 46 in linne and that he had received 44 on the truck. So we waited & turns out we got the last two (2 people's credit cards didn't clear - is that a sign of the times? or just normal?)
Who says the credit crunch had to be a terrible thing?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we have done our part to support the economy. In the past week my wife and I have been spending like drunken sailors. More than $1,000 on Xmas gifts, $160 on some Wii games and accessories for us, $800 on house furnishings, etc... We are coming way under budget this year, so we are loosening up a bit.

In fact we spent so much in such a small amount of time that my credit card company thought the card may have been stolen and they put a freeze on it without notifying me. My card was rejected on Monday morning while I attempted to fill up at the gas station. That was embarrassing. The station attendant had to call it in and I had to clear the transactions with the CC representative before my credit card could be reactivated. I am sure the people waiting in line behind me thought I was just another overextended bum.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

I am waiting for the local golf club memberships to begin coming down in price. Has anyone seen evidence of a buyer's market for country clubs??
newporttony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #112
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by newporttony View Post
I am waiting for the local golf club memberships to begin coming down in price. Has anyone seen evidence of a buyer's market for country clubs??
It's funny that you mentioned that but this year I did not even see the usual seasonal golf discounts . Are people golfing more to avoid stress ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 07:27 AM   #113
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
My CD ladder starts 'maturing' in December; boosting my annual 'income' from ~$30,000 to ~$35,000. I do plan to start spending more.

Yesterday I sent $20 each to support some blogs and webcomics I enjoy reading, and to support some freeware I use.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Would you give a report on this? Is it fun? Do you get good exercise using it?

Ha
I ordered it on the net and don't have it yet. Will report later.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:30 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
AR-15 with 1000 rds of .223.
Got the AR-15 on order, need to get the ammo now.
Long waiting list on AR-15s due to the huge surge in firearms buying. Prolly can't find ammo either.
Which one did you get, Bushmaster, Armalite, Colt, DPMS?

The ammo is going to be costly, that's why I roll my own.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
Nothing really - maybe a new recliner. For the TV shoppers, I think I saw coupons off several tvs in the newest Costco coupon mailer thing that came out last weekend. Since I'm not shopping for one, I didn't actually look into it, but if you're shopping for a new set, you might check.

Got it! Went to Costco and picked up the 42" Panasonic. It was the only one with an up front socket that reads SD cards. I told the saleskid that I might wait until xmas. He said, "Why wait you 90 days to return it. No questions asked." Fifty more days and I can throw the box out.