Join Early Retirement Today

What is on your "Recession Things To buy List"
Old 11-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What is on your "Recession Things To buy List"

I don't have many things on my "Recession things to buy List" but I'm starting to think about it:

+++ Electronics
Lenovo S10 netbook now about $400
LCD television - large ones should be in the $500 area by xmas

+++Clothing
Travel suit jacket - light and non wrinkle - any suggestion where to buy?

+++Travel
Spring in Italy?
Summer - RV US West
Winter US - in Australia?

+++Exercise Equipment - instead of a Gym fee?

+++Food
Discounted Restaurant gift cards
Stock up on some canned goods

There will be some fantastic sales the xmas. But, I can not think of any other things to buy during the recession.

What is on your "Recession things to buy List"?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

House - it's just a case of finding something with like with a seller that is not delusional about it's value and it will be a done deal.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Has nothing to to do with with recession buying, but my suburban is going to need winter tires. Would be nice if tire prices came down to earth.

They seem to be in rocket up, feather down pricing mode.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Like you, I'm thinking about a TV. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.
Check out Travelsmith for the suit--I like their stuff pretty well.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #5

I'll be looking at 2 new TV's, a 26in and a 47in. LCD. I am also looking for a 4x4 utility ATV, hopefully at a deep discount from someone who is "de-leveraging".
Old 11-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Second the Travelsmith recommendation, Dex. Here's a blazer that fits your criteria:

Men's Classic Machine-Washable Two Button Coat - TravelSmith

As far as stuff -- we'd love a bigger house. Hopefully the slump in housing prices will hang on for a couple more years while we save up a down payment.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 PM   #7

Might try to pick up a lightly used pontoon boat...and possibly a large LCD if the prices drop significantly (although I don't watch that much TV).
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

A car.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing really - maybe a new recliner. For the TV shoppers, I think I saw coupons off several tvs in the newest Costco coupon mailer thing that came out last weekend. Since I'm not shopping for one, I didn't actually look into it, but if you're shopping for a new set, you might check.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #10

Already bought a car.

Video camera looking at the Sony SR 11 HD one. Waiting till after Thanksgiving to see if any deals appear. Might buy an HD TV too as long as they are giving stuff away..
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

stocks.
trip to Scandinavia next Spring.
Perhaps a new car to replace DW's 11 year old car...
new digital camera.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

A laptop, if I can convince myself I need it. It's hard to spend the bucks.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I just signed up to go to Sydney in late February.

Other than that I am looking for some additional woodworking tools on the cheap, a 1968-70 Ford Bronco that needs some work, and a clue as to what to get DW for Christmas.
Uncle Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
stocks.
trip to Scandinavia next Spring.
Perhaps a new car to replace DW's 11 year old car...
new digital camera.
Firedreamer, if you need any help with your trip to Scandinavia, let me know. My neck of the woods as it were....
Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medit8 View Post
Firedreamer, if you need any help with your trip to Scandinavia, let me know. My neck of the woods as it were....

Thanks! I might send you a PM as our plans become more defined. I am going to Copenhagen for a week (I don't know when yet) and while I am there I wanted to drive to Malmo and perhaps, if I am lucky, push all the way to Stockholm (it will depend on how much time off I can get). I have always wanted to visit Scandinavia so I am very excited about it!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urchina View Post
Second the Travelsmith recommendation, Dex. Here's a blazer that fits your criteria:

Men's Classic Machine-Washable Two Button Coat - TravelSmith

As far as stuff -- we'd love a bigger house. Hopefully the slump in housing prices will hang on for a couple more years while we save up a down payment.
I third the Travelsmith recommendation. But I buy Travelsmith dresses on Ebay at a substantial discount (I've done it twice). Sometimes you can find something on Ebay that is still for sale at Travelsmith's web site so you can check out the size information from the source.
toofrugalformycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
A laptop, if I can convince myself I need it. It's hard to spend the bucks.
Do it. Double dog dare! Help the economy out
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I plan on buying absolutly nothing that I don't have to buy. My tv just broke and instead of buying a new one I canceled my cable. I need to increase my e-fund. If I buy anything it'll be a low-end laptop as my current desktop is 7 years old and very slow.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:15 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Already burned through a boat load of cash fixing up the new (old in dog years) homestead (New kitchen/2 new baths). Now, can't think of a thing we need and not much we want - except - a new homestead. This time, with a view of the water. Can't believe what we once thought was "perfect" is now only "way more than adequate". Any further fluctuation in real estate prices cuts both ways, though I fear less so for those who had the foresight to purchase on the bay.

But, other than that....

It's disturbing to walk through the stores - especially when recently visiting the mainland - seeing real "values" for which we have no need. Why can't it be the other way around. (No, not higher prices on things we need! Somebody did mention tires, darn it.)

Haven't been into "stuff" for ages. I'm probably the only poster who doesn't own an Ipod. Buy my CD's at GW or SA. $1 or $2 at most. Have WAY more than I can ever listen to.

Oh yeah! Hoping for a vinyl to CD converter for Xmas. I haven't been very good this year, though. Only bought DW a kitchen and 2 bathrooms! (No, as a matter of fact, I never use the kitchen and only use one bath, so it IS all HERS).

Still using the old Hi 8 camcorder instead of springing for a chip type camera. Maybe Best Buys will have a big sale. DW already wonders how much beach fauna I really need to tape. Silly girl, I'm actually trying to learn how to surf - from the shore. She's not buyin' it.

Actually, DW wishes I'd spend some money on clothes. Had to rent a Tux for a wedding on the mainland. Other than that, I don't own a suit or even a tie - I do own one pair of long pants and a long sleeved shirt for air travel. Since I have enough shorts and T's that we only have to do laundry once a week, I think that's enough.

Next trip to mainland, we want to do the Keys for the first time or else the Rockies for the nth time.

Still exploring Oahu, so have lots to keep us busy, travel wise.

Already did Xmas for the kids when back on mainland.

So, maybe we can save some money now.

Much Aloha,

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Do it. Double dog dare! Help the economy out
Yeah, my laptop was shipped from Shanghai.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote