Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post

Here's an OT question: can an aunt give nicer gifts to one kid (she is the oldest) than the others without it being seen as favoritism?
No. But just because one gift might cost a lot more does not mean the other gifts are less nice.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:28 AM   #42
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I have never owned an iPod, but mostly because I just can't justify it to myself. I don't think I would use it. They seem like black holes into which to toss money.
No iPod here either. I like silence.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am putting in a new furnace in a couple weeks. The HVAC are practically BEGGING me to put in an AC unit too. We'll see, I think as comsumer I have leverage now......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Give me synthetics or silk.

Or Leather?
Old 11-13-2008, 01:33 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
No iPod here either. I like silence.
We like pop and easy listening music, but already have a no-name MP3 player. For music to listen to, when in a couchette on a night Eurail train, it's tough to beat.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 01:40 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

If my wife finds a job so I can feel comfortable about dipping into savings a little bit, I'd imagine I could get some pretty good deals on a few little home improvement projects we've been considering.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Has nothing to to do with with recession buying, but my suburban is going to need winter tires. Would be nice if tire prices came down to earth.

They seem to be in rocket up, feather down pricing mode.
Check with
www.tirerack.com

Even if you don't buy from them, local dealers will often match the price.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

I'd love one of these:

Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:06 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw one of those draft beer things in Target this past weekend. Only problem is, the box says it's designed only for certain Heineken mini-kegs. Not that there's anything wrong with Heineken, but I'd hate to limit myself.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medit8 View Post
Firedreamer, if you need any help with your trip to Scandinavia, let me know. My neck of the woods as it were....
My cousin and I are thinking about doing that too, trying to see if our husbands would take a golfing trip so we won't feel guilty. We are pondering going to Bo, Telemark, Norway to visit our grandfather's birthplace at the end of this foray. Does anyone know if Bo is accessable by public transit? The train from Bergen to Oslo doesn't come close.

If anyone is considering buying a boat, this is the best market in many years to do so.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I'm probably the only poster who doesn't own an Ipod.
No iPod here either, although my daughter is promising to give me hers when she's done. She's threatening to fill it up with her favorite classic-rock tunes... I sure hope she's been paying attention. She's complaining that she can't plug her iPod into the Prius' dashboard radio/CD player, so I've offered to help her figure out which connectors to solder an aux jack into. I think she's decided to wait until she has enough money to buy her own car her own way.

I guess my Sony Mavica 3.5" diskette camera and our VHS-C camcorder are obsolete. We have a replacement camera but I'm not interested in upgrading the camcorder.

We bought CFB's recommended ASUS wireless router last month, and scooped up a cheap Series 2 TiVo from Craigslist. Spouse also scored a leather reclining office chair, so now she's checking Craigslist 2x/day for those "desperate deleveraging bargains".

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #52

Im thinking about an Ipod. Might be better than lugging a bunch of cd's around in the car.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im thinking about an Ipod. Might be better than lugging a bunch of cd's around in the car.
I bought a close out second generation Nano for $79 last year. Nice to have for walking the dog.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I bought a close out second generation Nano for $79 last year. Nice to have for walking the dog.
Not bad at all. Thought they would be more expensive.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:08 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - winter in Kansas City depending - Arizona/Mexico, Carribean cruise., Redneck Riviera, and New Orleans(her grand daughter's twins due in March).

Thinking if it's a mild winter - could cancel some trips and buy dividend stocks - as hormone medicine/ or not.

heh heh heh - ice storm/no power like 2007 - next time I won't waste a couple days without heat thinking about it. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife and I are going on a week long cruise over Thanksgiving. Cruise bookings are down, so to are prices. So much so that we are taking my child's best friend and getting them a room of there own.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
stocks.
trip to Scandinavia next Spring.
Perhaps a new car to replace DW's 11 year old car...
new digital camera.
You could double up item #2 with item #3 and do Volvo's European drive-away delivery. I think Saab might do something similar....
Old 11-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
She's complaining that she can't plug her iPod into the Prius' dashboard radio/CD player, so I've offered to help her figure out which connectors to solder an aux jack into.

I guess my Sony Mavica 3.5" diskette camera and our VHS-C camcorder are obsolete. We have a replacement camera but I'm not interested in upgrading the camcorder.
How about an FM transmitter to connect wirelessly to the car radio? You can get one for less than $10 (shipping included) from eBay. Purists may not like them because there may be some sound degradation, but it was good enough for me.

About your "ancient" camcorder, I have not seen those for a while! Time to do a bit of stimulating the economy, Nords.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #59
Dryer sheet aficionado

Nothing seems to be coming down in price much around here, except gas of course. Certainly not services. We priced having our countertops upgraded this summer, held off due to various things, then re-priced them recently and the price had gone up!

On line, I've got my eye on the Sony Bravia XBR-Series KDL-46XBR4 46-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV. I've been watching it for almost a year and it's down from $3300 to about $2000 through amazon (although I'm a bit leery because every time I check the site, it's being sold through a different 3rd party--will they just dump it at my door? Try to charge me $400 to bring it inside?)
Old 11-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

I just realized how funny it sounds to say I've been "watching" a TV, which we do not own, for almost a year...must be time to get ready for bed and yet another 0445 wake-up call and commute downtown.