Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Nords, thanks for the tip the other week about getting a TIVO off Craigslist. This is something I want to get as we currently rent 2 DVR's from TimeWarner at a cost of $20 a month, so if we can get some TIVO's they will soon pay for themselves.
We used the Weaknees.com buying guide to figure out what models we wanted, and then we just waited for eBay & Craigslist ads. The Series 2 TiVos are dirt-cheap because everyone's upgrading to Series 3/HD. We got ours for $80, not much more than the price of the included wireless adaptor, but then of course we had to pay the subscription fee. That $399 will pay itself back in about 30 months.

Happy spouse: priceless.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

I already purchased a $5000 Kawasaki KLX250S with 600 miles on it for $3200 from a owner who was leveraging. This also included a two year factory warranty extension that cost $800, for a purchase price of $5800. Just think, this guy paid $4/mile to drive this motorcycle.

I am looking for a Kawasaki KLR650 to get next, when I can find one with 2000 or less miles for $3600 or less. I suspect I will not have wait long.
Culture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 AM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

AR-15 with 1000 rds of .223.
Got the AR-15 on order, need to get the ammo now.
Long waiting list on AR-15s due to the huge surge in firearms buying. Prolly can't find ammo either.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:27 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Long waiting list on AR-15s due to the huge surge in firearms buying. Prolly can't find ammo either.
AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors
Old 11-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Just bought a Wii and Wii fit for winter exercise.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We used the Weaknees.com buying guide to figure out what models we wanted, and then we just waited for eBay & Craigslist ads. The Series 2 TiVos are dirt-cheap because everyone's upgrading to Series 3/HD. We got ours for $80, not much more than the price of the included wireless adaptor, but then of course we had to pay the subscription fee. That $399 will pay itself back in about 30 months.

Happy spouse: priceless.
We may be in the market for a Tivo box if we decide to pull the plug on our satellite bills and go strictly to free over-the-air TV. It costs us $1000 a year or so, and we figure if we have a DVR solution (together with Netflix) we'd have enough to watch for much less. It's not like we park ourselves in front of the TV for hours each night anyway.

[By the way: we were considering this before the stuff started really hitting the fan, so it's not really a defensive reaction to the current economic climate.]
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #87

There is a 2008 Suzuki C90T motorcycle on the floor at the local dealer, priced at $10k. Sticker is $11.5k. I've been looking for a used cruiser on Ebay, craigslist and the local papers for months, but any that are local and anywhere near fairly priced are sold within hours. So I've been planning on buying in late December, but now I'm not sure I want to wait. Somebody else might buy it first and then I'd have to wait until March-April for the 2009 models, and almost certainly pay more for one. OTOH, if I buy it now it'll spend most of the time in the shed until spring since I'm not one of those people who likes frostbite. Decisions, decisions.

http://www.suzukicycles.com/products/C90TK8
Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

I'm thinking about a Krups Dolce Gusto coffee gizmo that makes single serving espresso. It has a ton of pressure and is $169, so if I see it come down I'll get it for DH. Of course it's the gift that keeps on giving since you have to buy the coffee capsules, but still a lot cheaper to make at home vs. coffee shops.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

We've spent more this month than almost any time in the past (not counting property purchases). I replaced a front cap on a tooth and the gal had her remaining 20 removed, a dozen titanium implants installed in her jaws, and a set of choppers bought - may replace those down the road if we go with permanent implants. 5% discount for cash. Also passed some bucks out to people working on her '56 Chevy wagon and made the property tax payments on our places. Oh - and got her an iphone to play with, which was well worth the money!

You're welcome Mr. Economy!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #90
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerbill View Post
Try: cheaperthandirt.com
Good buys on hardball .223 in bulk.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:24 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I did the same thing. I like it for walking and I can catch up on my missed NPR shows.
This sort of use seems to be very popular.

I wouldn't be outside with something in my ears. I have a strong desire (need?)to know what is going on around me.

Ha
Old 11-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Just bought a Wii and Wii fit for winter exercise.
Would you give a report on this? Is it fun? Do you get good exercise using it?

Ha
Old 11-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Ditto on the Wii report. Trying to decide if we should get this for the niece and nephews together for Christmas. But torn, as I'd like to get the niece some drama/modeling lessons instead.
Check out Eritech for the iPods, we got a great deal on DHs from them--better than the Apple store and no troubles.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I'm getting estimates on having 50 or 30 amp electrical service run to a plug next to where I park our RV at the house. I want to be able to use the motor home as a place for the grandkids to 'camp out', as a spare bedroom if needed, and maybe as a place to hide when DW is fed up with my wit and wisdom.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #95
Recycles dryer sheets

Rewahoo why bother with running electric when you can put solar panels on the roof, just a thought.
Vinnyfrombrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyfrombrooklyn View Post
Rewahoo why bother with running electric when you can put solar panels on the roof, just a thought.
Solar panels are great for some applications, but in this part of the world an AC is needed 6-8 months of the year. Panels/batteries/inverters just don't cut it for that application - at least not for a RV. Wish they did.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 AM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm getting estimates on having 50 or 30 amp electrical service run to a plug next to where I park our RV at the house.
Rich would probably find it much more convenient if you also added a pump-out system so that he wouldn't have to boondock. And, heck, while you're at it a water bib might make him happy too.

Come to think of it, considering the things he'd be tempted to do with his sewage, you'd be at least as happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Solar panels are great for some applications, but in this part of the world an AC is needed 6-8 months of the year. Panels/batteries/inverters just don't cut it for that application - at least not for a RV. Wish they did.
If it wasn't for the hailstorms, I'd be jealous of your ability to spread a few kilowatts of panels alonside the RV and just run the wires through conduit to an inverter mounted next to the RV.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big galloot View Post
Since this is probably not going to be just another run-of-the-mill recession, but rather a protracted and severe once-a-century meltdown, instead of adding more toys, I suggest the following partial list:
  • Male/female pit bulls
  • Guns and lots of ammo
  • Crossbow and lots of arrows; hunting knives
  • Fishing gear
  • Two-way radios
  • Solar panels for house w/battery array
  • Seeds & supplies for a serious garden
  • Market shorting ETFs
  • Gold coins
  • Hidden safe
  • Books
  • First aid supplies
I'm half kidding of course! (...which means I'm half serious...)
Ooo! OOoo! Adding to the list: The Undead: Real 19th Century Vampire Killing Kit Is a Must In Current Economic Climate

And: Emergency Zombie Kit Worked Well For Me - Geekologie
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #99

Quote:
Rich would probably find it much more convenient if you also added a pump-out system so that he wouldn't have to boondock. And, heck, while you're at it a water bib might make him happy too.

Come to think of it, considering the things he'd be tempted to do with his sewage, you'd be at least as happy...
The water bib is already in place. As for sewage disposal, all those wild hogs need something to eat, right?

Quote:
If it wasn't for the hailstorms, I'd be jealous of your ability to spread a few kilowatts of panels alonside the RV and just run the wires through conduit to an inverter mounted next to the RV.
Yep. I can only imagine what the hailstorm that ate our roof right after we built the house would do to those panels. Yikes.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #100
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I'm thinking about a Krups Dolce Gusto coffee gizmo that makes single serving espresso. It has a ton of pressure and is $169, so if I see it come down I'll get it for DH. Of course it's the gift that keeps on giving since you have to buy the coffee capsules, but still a lot cheaper to make at home vs. coffee shops.
We got our own coffee machine about 6 months ago and absolutely love it. Cost about $250, ours is a nespresso machine - costs about 52 cents for each coffee pod. Have to say since we got it we have cut way back on going out for coffee so it has well and truly paid for itself.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote