Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2020, 10:50 PM   #241
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
When I see people with 7 figure portfolios crying about the cost of cable tv or streaming services.

Ha! We’re those people. DH and I were just talking this evening about how great it’s been to kill our cox service and move to internet and streaming. We’re saving a LOT of money a year with no significant decrease in service or content. You won’t find me complaining that Netflix raised their prices by a dollar, but I am so, so happy to have an alternative to the cable companies and their monopolies! I’m just thankful we had an alternative Internet offering.

Eta, you won’t find us paying big bucks for entertainment in general though. I’ve been to maybe three professional sports games in my life and all but one was through work.
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 06:02 AM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
This is a biggie for me. Especially cars and stuff like that. Have to sleep on it. And yet the dealers always try that "what can I do to get you in this car Today?" stuff and I look at them like they have 2 heads.
That’s because the majority of high profit sales are impulse buys. But it is smarter to do your homework before the purchase, which is essentially sleeping on it for a few days or weeks. So when the salesman ask that question, I know exactly what to answer. Then I watch his face drop as he realizes “dang it, an informed buyer”. You have to be able to say “nope” & “no thanks” and walk away. The key to remember is the situation must be that they want to sell the car more than you want to buy it. If not, you are at the losing end. They sell cars every day. You might buy once every 5-10 years. Who is better equipped for the sale?

I do many of the things here, and always have because they are green and I despise waste & pollution. When I bought our retirement home, energy efficiency by design was very important. High efficiency tankless hot water heater saves a small fortune, as does all LED lighting and super insulation. HE washer (agitatorless top loader, front loaders suck) and dishwashers save a lot as well.

Forget the bacon grease stuff, the health consequences way out weigh the cost saving.

About the only cost saver actions not listed that I do are to buy the much cheaper non RFID inline filters for the refrigerator and I transferred the bypass RFID to the fridge itself. So the fridge always says “unfiltered water” when it use, but it saves a lot of money when a 2 pack of GE filters is $60 vs a 3 pack of non RFID name brand filters for about $15. When we get a lot of fuel points at Krogers due to specials, we bring both cars when near empty and I fill them consecutively to hit closer to the 30 gal limit. On 90cents/gal discount, thats $9 on 10 extra gallons.

But for the most part, I do most cost savings/environmental conscious things that require little to no effort. (Yes, my shower still has hotel shampoo in it, but DW is VERY picky about her products). But really, I am not frugal to save money vs enjoyment or health. I don’t blow dough for the sake of spending to feel good, or like most here, I wouldn’t be where I am.

But I’m not afraid to spend one bit. So we don’t own inexpensive cars when bought, but have only bought “new” (twice) when they were dealer demos or last years models. And I do all my own maintenance but it sure is nice to have 3 years of maintenance covered for a break. I even bought a low rise lift 12 years ago, that has paid for it self and saved me thousands doing repairs that cannot be done easily without one or allow me to rotate tires and change oil in no time vs taking it somewhere and paying for it. And I can sell the lift tomorrow for 75% of what I paid. Good tools used often have a great ROI.

If I can save (thereby make even more since payments are after tax) a $100/hr doing it myself, well why wouldn’t I if it’s something in my wheelhouse. I won’t shingle a roof or hang (a lot of) drywall, but I installed a quiet TOTL disposal and bathroom fans, to replace the contractor grade crap installed in the house, that they wanted INSANE prices to have done.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:31 AM   #243
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I save $100 per month by switching my TV from Spectrum to Youtube TV (even after the recent price increase). I get all the same channels and much better DVR on Youtube YV.

I don't feel I am missing out on any entertainment by doing that. I spend my dollars where I really get the bang for the buck--like my 3 trips to New Zealand and 10 trips to Scotland (preCovid).
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:35 AM   #244
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I've found that many money saving habits are also environmentally good. I mean actually good, not feel-good, virtue signaling.
Bottling companies have been telling us that for 20 years. It is the reason all water and soda bottles are now impossibly thin to the point of total collapse when you use them. Their reason is environment. I'm sure materials cost had nothing to do with it.

I still agree with you though. I try to fix as much stuff as possible instead of buying new. I still have a perfectly usable 40 year old table top fan. Very simple design, and still safe. The only fix I had to do was re-solder a wire that came off a terminal.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
One man's cheap is another man's smart. I'm not going to pay $200 a month for cable when a quick phone call can negotiate that down to $120. Or $18 a month for my sirius when I can call and get $5.
+1

Frugality, like safe driving, is a habit. Once you get in the habit at stopping at every stop sign, even at 2:27 AM when you are sure there isn't another car within a quarter mile of you, you will also stop that one time you just didn't' see that intoxicated gal in the Hummer bearing down on the intersection at 55 mph.

I learned a long time ago that a big cable bill did not provide me with the $120+ of satisfaction every month. Never had cable, and unless I move to a more rural area, I doubt if I ever will. The same goes with paying $300+ a night to stay at a 5* hotel in downtown or trading in my perfectly fine late model cars every 3 years.

FWIW, when I fly I do splurge on Premium Economy, but that is because I have long legs and big feet. I could have had a great career as a clown on stilts.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #246
Dryer sheet wannabe

Very long time lurker emerging to post about frugality

Turn the peanut butter jars upside down for a few days before opening to allow the oil to redistribute. Makes the eventual scrape at the end a little easier.

The bacon grease corollary: When trimming excess fat, render the bits and use the fat in later stir-fries. By the way, some butchers will sell entire pounds of chicken skin, which can be rendered into delicious schmaltz and gribenins (sp?).

Shampoo and conditioner are not necessary. Rinse your hair in warm water and brush thoroughly. The first few days of making this transition can be bumpy, but your hair will be in better condition.

We also press the soap sliver into the next bar. I wrap the combo in my scrubbing cloth for a day to seal the bars together. I don't know what to call the cloth. I discovered it in a Japanese hotel and found a replacement years later in a Korean market: a long, nubbley, woven plastic cloth that you can use to scrub your whole body, and it feels great. While the water is turned off, of course.

Compost is a fantastic recycler. We have a worm bin indoors and compost tumblers outdoors. A day's worth of kitchen scraps wrapped in a sheet of newspaper go into the worm bin. Used paper towels go into the worm bin. The insane amount of paper that comes in Amazon shipments also get used to wrap scraps for the worms. Most of our clothing is natural fibers, so ancient torn underwear and holey socks can get torn up and added to the compost. That takes longer to break down, so I save that for the last pre-winter batch which will sit out there for months.
Agapostemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
Didn't everyone's grandma used to save bread wrappers and twisties ? The bread wrappers went over your socks in the winter time before you put on your boots

I thought everybody used bread bags in their boots! How else would you keep your hand me down socks dry?

You had boots? Our mom put the bread bags over our socks and shoes.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Bottling companies have been telling us that for 20 years. It is the reason all water and soda bottles are now impossibly thin to the point of total collapse when you use them. Their reason is environment. I'm sure materials cost had nothing to do with it.
In my mind, anyone in a place with reasonable water infrastructure who has a single use, plastic water bottle in their hand is both a spendthrift and a pox on the environment - unless the bottle is from 1990, then I'll give them a pass.
6miths is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 12:58 PM   #249
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You may not have intended to, but when you directly quote someone, it is assumed that you are responding to their specific post. So most people, including me, assumed you had some issue with daylatedollarshort's grocery choices. If you just want to make a general comment about the topic, it is better to use the "post reply" button instead of the "quote" button.
Got it.My apologies.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:17 PM   #250
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think the "pet peeves" thread is calling you.
YES!!! I will go find it if it exists.
Sorry for intruding here.
To be clear I am not a fan of the pricing tactics of Directv or cable. I tried a free trial of Hulu live because I could watch my NBA /NFL. The picture quality was horrible vs Directv watching live sports. So I will pay more to enjoy what I enjoy watching.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #251

Dryer sheets ! Need I say more ?
Old 09-06-2020, 01:35 PM   #252
Recycles dryer sheets

Wash dishes, pots, pans, knives, silverware, cups, etc., by hand. Only exercise the dishwasher about once a year.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #253
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRE View Post
Wash dishes, pots, pans, knives, silverware, cups, etc., by hand. Only exercise the dishwasher about once a year.
Check out the water/energy used by a dishwasher vs. by hand.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-much...shwashers-use/

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
+1. The second chapter of The Millionaire Next Door is called, "Frugal Frugal Frugal". For all the neighbors who can't figure out how we retired early in a HCOL area, I can tell they never read this book. Housing is expensive where we are, but other than that a lot of the other expenses are simply lifestyle choices, like shopping at ethnic markets instead of Whole Foods. Rich Roll had a cute video on what you can buy for $25 at stores like Whole Foods for $25 vs. going to an ethnic market (two fancy juice bottles at WF vs. several bags of fresh produce or ~25 pounds of dried rice and beans at the ethnic markets).
I would say we are the MOST likely to bellyache about the cost of streaming and cable.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 01:50 PM   #255
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Check out the water/energy used by a dishwasher vs. by hand.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-much...shwashers-use/

Thanks, and I have. Older dishwasher (not me) and it would take a while to achieve a full load.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
..........Eta, you wonít find us paying big bucks for entertainment in general though. Iíve been to maybe three professional sports games in my life and all but one was through work.
I'm with you here. I can't imagine paying literally thousands of dollars to see Hamilton when I saw it twice for $7.50. I'm sure it was better live, but .....

And the prices for major league sports seats are insane. Even the food / beer prices are insane.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I save the extra napkins from my take out orders, Depending on the quality, they can be used in place of paper towels as cleaning wipes, for floor spills, as tissues, and for cleaning kids sticky faces.

We do this too!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #258
Recycles dryer sheets

I make my own yogurt using a half gallon of milk and my crock pot. Super easy and good. I got tired of the cost and the waste of the plastic yogurt cups.

I camp! and sometimes camp on a road trip instead of a hotel, even for just a night, throw the tent up and sleep or I've even slept in the back seat of my car.

I am kindly ridiculed in my family for making anything out of paper bags. I entered a Christmas Wreath contest with a wreath I made out of the Sunday paper. And why would anyone "buy" a costume -made more than I can recall.

We don't have alot of storage space so when I travel and need a larger suitcase, I buy one at a thrift store or garage sale, then I donate it when I get back.
Throwdownmyaceinthehole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I make my own yogurt using a half gallon of milk and my crock pot. Super easy and good. I got tired of the cost and the waste of the plastic yogurt cups.

I camp! and sometimes camp on a road trip instead of a hotel, even for just a night, throw the tent up and sleep or I've even slept in the back seat of my car.

I am kindly ridiculed in my family for making anything out of paper bags. I entered a Christmas Wreath contest with a wreath I made out of the Sunday paper. And why would anyone "buy" a costume -made more than I can recall.

We don't have alot of storage space so when I travel and need a larger suitcase, I buy one at a thrift store or garage sale, then I donate it when I get back.
Love the idea of buying a large suitcase at a thrift store and then donating it back-- but I would need to quarantine it somewhere to make sure it had no bedbugs.

Clark Howard (who has the advice website) use to claim that he when he would travel he would not pack any clothes, he would just go to the local thrift shop at his destination and buy some. But that would not work for me because I have to wash every thing I buy at the thrift store before I wear them.

There was some comedian--can't remember who--who claimed he would donate his dress shirts to the thrift store, they would laundry them and put them on the racks for sale and the comedian would buy them back. The comedian claimed he could buy them back for less than it would cost him to laundry the dress shirts.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
What is one everyday thing you think is THRIFTY, but your friends/family think is CHE
Old 09-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #260

What is one everyday thing you think is THRIFTY, but your friends/family think is CHE

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post

There was some comedian--can't remember who--who claimed he would donate his dress shirts to the thrift store, they would laundry them and put them on the racks for sale and the comedian would buy them back. The comedian claimed he could buy them back for less than it would cost him to laundry the dress shirts.

Thatís like the guy who needed a ride home, so he went to a pizza place, ordered one for delivery and rode with them.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote