Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-06-2020, 04:20 PM   #261
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm with you here. I can't imagine paying literally thousands of dollars to see Hamilton when I saw it twice for $7.50. I'm sure it was better live, but .....

And the prices for major league sports seats are insane. Even the food / beer prices are insane.
+1 on seeing major league sports. Just too much money and generally would rather spend time playing certain sports than watching those and other sports.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2020, 04:21 PM   #262
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
I thought everybody did that!

Also: serious question, when did nail salon visits become so common, even required? A bottle of nail polish costs $3.49. What does it mean if I don't visit them? Am I unkempt? Slovenly?
Huh? I don’t even varnish my own nails anymore. I don’t think the polish or remover is good for you. I simply trim my nails as needed. They stay pretty short as I play instruments.

Yes, I know ladies who go to the salon to get their toenails done, and also go to get their hair colored and whatever. I gave up on all that years ago and have never set foot in a nail salon, although I have walked by several and they stink.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #263
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
But that would not work for me because I have to wash every thing I buy at the thrift store before I wear them.
I don't mean this in an unkind way, but just as a suggestion. You could buy them at the thrift store then launder them where ever you are.

I remember it being a realization for me when I took about a 10 day trip and realized I could just pack 5 days worth of stuff and do laundry halfway through. It happened to be at a hotel in Hawaii, they had a laundry room at the hotel, and we just did laundry and read a book while it was going.

It's worth the trade-off *for me* to pack and port half as much clothing to "waste" some time in a laundry room. May not be for you or others.

But my point is it's sort of a mind-expanding concept to do laundry on vacation. (I also was close to getting a prescription filled in another state for the first time and that was something I had just never thought of as an option.)
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #264
Administrator

When the young wife and I went to Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and the Black Hills last fall, we did laundry twice during our two week trip - once at Colter Bay in Yellowstone and once in Billings, MT. It really cut down on the amount we needed to pack.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:53 AM   #265
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
It's worth the trade-off *for me* to pack and port half as much clothing to "waste" some time in a laundry room.
We have stayed at Air B&B apartments that had small washers/dryers. Very easy to do laundry when the machines are inside the unit.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:05 AM   #266
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will have to consider the travel tip to buy at the thrift store and laundry. I was thinking of our frequent trips to Scotland pre Covid. The little house we rent has a washing machine but no dryer--they hang everything outside.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:25 AM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
We have stayed at Air B&B apartments that had small washers/dryers. Very easy to do laundry when the machines are inside the unit.
We've done this for years. Then we come home and just put a majority of stuff away. Anything dirty (?) goes int one suitcase and it goes to the laundry room when we walk in the door.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #268
Recycles dryer sheets

I moved to Vietnam! Haha! Really HUUUUGEEEE savings!!!
VungTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:12 AM   #269
Give me a forum ...

A lesser variant of shopping for clothes at the destination: I threw used socks away as we did a ten day trip. VERY unlike me to toss well worn but serviceable socks in the trash, but it was very freeing and shrank the bags, allowing purchased trinkets to be packed. Splurged and bought brand new Costco white athletic socks (8 pair for $12) when we got home. Also a treat.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:13 AM   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
We've done this for years. Then we come home and just put a majority of stuff away. Anything dirty (?) goes int one suitcase and it goes to the laundry room when we walk in the door.
DH and I do the same. My SIL really appreciated that I sent the niece and nephews home after a 10 day visit 2 years ago, clothes laundered .

On longer trips we take old, but still wearable clothes, and toss them along the way.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #271
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Pancakes fried up on bacon grease have the lovely crisp edge that they used to have when my mother made them. She used butter or lard.
YES !!!

I so miss my mother's crispy dark edged cast iron pan fried pancakes... Now that we are more healthy
Old 09-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #272
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
Didn't everyone's grandma used to save bread wrappers and twisties ? The bread wrappers went over your socks in the winter time before you put on your boots.
Bread bags in your boots are required when you have to walk 5 miles to school uphill both ways in 3 feet of snow ( so I was told).

Shaking the crumbs off your wet sock when you got to school was always an embarrassment around the “rich kids” that had new boots. My husband and friends used cafeteria trays to go downhill sledding in college.
Lucie is online now   Reply With Quote
What is one everyday thing you think is THRIFTY, but your friends/family think is CHE
Old 09-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #273
Moderator Emeritus

What is one everyday thing you think is THRIFTY, but your friends/family think is CHE

Keep the bacon grease posts coming! I add it to my eggs and toast English muffins in bacon grease. But I never thought of bacon grease induced popcorn or pancakes as mentioned here.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:21 PM   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I eat my road kill, but I never swerve on purpose to get it.
One day Mom brought home a dead ring-necked pheasant she had hit on the road while coming home from work. Damn right we ate and enjoyed it.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #275
Give me a forum ...

That's not even thrift. That's just plain serendipity (although not for the poor bird).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
One day Mom brought home a dead ring-necked pheasant she had hit on the road while coming home from work. Damn right we ate and enjoyed it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:09 PM   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Coming home from midnight shift, a co-worker had a turkey come through the windshield, just a few miles from home. He/she flapped around in the car until it died, and the driver continued home, then gutted and plucked the poor thing, and they had it the next day or two for dinner. We all had a good laugh over that one, what a mess.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:20 AM   #277

Ok, now this thread has just plain gotten too weird......
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:35 AM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Coming home from midnight shift, a co-worker had a turkey come through the windshield, just a few miles from home. He/she flapped around in the car until it died, and the driver continued home, then gutted and plucked the poor thing, and they had it the next day or two for dinner. We all had a good laugh over that one, what a mess.
Turning lemons into lemonade.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:43 AM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
My friend waters down the Soft Soap he puts in his bathroom soap dispenser because he thinks the kids use too much. CHEAP!
The person probably read the book " The Tightwad Gazette ". I read it from cover to cover about 20 years ago. When working for MegaCorp, one of my peers knew I was always saving and investing so she gave me the book as a present.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 02:47 AM   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
One man's cheap is another man's smart. I'm not going to pay $200 a month for cable when a quick phone call can negotiate that down to $120. Or $18 a month for my sirius when I can call and get $5.
That's the way to do it. I do also. I ask to speak to the "retention" dept when I call customer service. I explain to them I am a loyal customer and I am having second thoughts on discontinuing the services. They come back to meetings promotional rates for 12 months. I remind myself in 12 months to call again and they give me another promotional rate. It takes just a few minutes on the phone but in the long run its more money still in my pocket to spend or invest.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote