Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-09-2020, 03:55 AM   #281
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When our home warranty expired, I decided to renew it because most of the appliances are 17 years old. They quoted me a much higher price than the promotional one that the sellers paid. I got it down a little. Two months later, I got a stern "past due" notice for the difference between the original quoted price and what I paid. What ensued was a mess of escalating phone calls, for two weeks. The CS rep had "neglected" to record the discount, so corporate didn't want to believe it existed.

The exact same thing happened when I negotiated our BJs membership from $55 down to $25. We went to the store, they said our membership had expired, we had to leave our groceries, and again I went round and round on the phone, only to find that the CS rep hadn't recorded the discount.

I'm not sure how to avoid this, since the original CS rep can't issue a confirmation; they have to send it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
But, but, but, they have "one of a kind", personally exclusive name brand sometimes, one of a kind inventory.
Shops as such w/other similar repurposed, overstock, bankruptcy liquidation, closeouts, outdated inventory, etc. have been my favorite shopping locations since becoming self reliant.

I tee shirt for $45.00 on Nantucket, or for $1.00, 30% off on discount Tuesdays @ 0.70cents beats most other offerings imo.
Except one that fits you find on the Long key bridge @ 0.00.

I must be quiet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
That's the way to do it. I do also. I ask to speak to the "retention" dept when I call customer service. I explain to them I am a loyal customer and I am having second thoughts on discontinuing the services. They come back to meetings promotional rates for 12 months. I remind myself in 12 months to call again and they give me another promotional rate. It takes just a few minutes on the phone but in the long run its more money still in my pocket to spend or invest.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I'm not sure how to avoid this, since the original CS rep can't issue a confirmation; they have to send it somewhere.
If they can't confirm, you don't have the right person, or you might ask for a record. I've never left one of these types of calls without an email or some promised "action" that I can expect to see within 24 hours. (like verify in my account or something). Or if it's via an online chat, I print a transcript.

And usually, since call center reps have near-zero time allowed between calls, they can't do follow ups and referrals - they have you on the line the whole time until whatever buttons are pushed. So sometimes these negotiations are 1 minute talking, 4 mins holding while they "check and process" but it's almost always done in real time.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #283
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is why I try to do all support "calls" via online chat. (Well, that, and as a Gen Xer I hate talking on the phone!) Most chat systems have a way to save the chat, and in fact USAA and some others will save it for you automatically. For those that don't, I've been copying and pasting the chats into Notepad for years anyway.

But if I were you, I'd start taking notes and asking for names. A lot of times I forget and wish I had, but there are a couple of companies that have done that often enough that I ALWAYS take notes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
When our home warranty expired, I decided to renew it because most of the appliances are 17 years old. They quoted me a much higher price than the promotional one that the sellers paid. I got it down a little. Two months later, I got a stern "past due" notice for the difference between the original quoted price and what I paid. What ensued was a mess of escalating phone calls, for two weeks. The CS rep had "neglected" to record the discount, so corporate didn't want to believe it existed.

The exact same thing happened when I negotiated our BJs membership from $55 down to $25. We went to the store, they said our membership had expired, we had to leave our groceries, and again I went round and round on the phone, only to find that the CS rep hadn't recorded the discount.

Old 09-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
That's the way to do it. I do also. I ask to speak to the "retention" dept when I call customer service. I explain to them I am a loyal customer and I am having second thoughts on discontinuing the services. They come back to meetings promotional rates for 12 months. I remind myself in 12 months to call again and they give me another promotional rate. It takes just a few minutes on the phone but in the long run its more money still in my pocket to spend or invest.
Spectrum in my area no longer negotiates rates. I called several times, was told no negotiation, no retention dept, went in person to their local office and was told no negotiation--take it or leave it. So I left and went with Youtube TV, much cheaper, all the stations I want and much better DVR.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Spectrum in my area no longer negotiates rates. I called several times, was told no negotiation, no retention dept, went in person to their local office and was told no negotiation--take it or leave it. So I left and went with Youtube TV, much cheaper, all the stations I want and much better DVR.
Same here.
OTA, Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu makes for too much tv watching as it is.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:23 AM   #286
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Of course I take notes and ask for names (all they will give is a first name, usually something odd). I learned this from my Mother But when someone says the issue is taken care of, I have tended to believe them.

What I need to do is insist on timely confirmation before I will end the call. After 2 hours (even on chat) that takes willpower, which I can summon. Then again after 2 hours (for which they are being paid, but I am not) I start to wonder if the discount was even worth it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
But if I were you, I'd start taking notes and asking for names. A lot of times I forget and wish I had, but there are a couple of companies that have done that often enough that I ALWAYS take notes.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote