Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2020, 02:32 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do know that one friend I have thinks that my propensity to pick up deals at Value Village is over the top. He is a lifelong friend and a recently retired cop who has a great pension and he and his wife were each over 100k income for most of their lives. I don't have a pension but we are very comfortable. The best T-shirts I have are from VV and I tend to wear many of my old T-shirts from runs or sports tournaments well past there anticipated lifespan so a few frayed collars. I know DW is on my side as a couple of weeks ago I tried to retire a T-shirt from the mid-80s to the garage rag bag but I found it neatly folded in my T-shirt pile the other day. I definitely picked the right spouse!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2020, 02:35 PM   #102
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I don't think you could ever get all the shards out of anything. And even one shard could mean a trip to the ER.

Anyway, peanut butter at BJs comes in plastic jars.
Travelover is referencing this famous 2005 post by TromboneAl

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...tml#post317941

In which he shares a post from the simpleliving forum:

Quote:
... Another thing in my fridge that probably should be thrown out is a container of peanut butter that may or may not have tiny bits of broken glass in it. I dropped the jar and it broke, so I carefully scooped out the peanut butter and tried to get all the broken glass out, but my husband cut his tongue on his sandwich at work. So I heated up the peanut butter and put it through a mesh strainer to get the smaller glass bits out. I'm still scared to use it, but I hate to waste it. There's probably a whole dollar's worth of peanut butter in that container! And it MIGHT not have any glass in it!
Old 08-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
... As I sit here looking at my "Smucker's Natural Creamy Peanut Butter" in a glass jar. Best by Mar 01, 2021. Ingredients: Peanuts, 1% less of salt.

Maybe because the oil separates they use glass? Or glass is more "natural" for the health conscious? Don't want no petroleum leaching in my PB?
Yes I think you may be right. The Kirkland Organic is in glass while the Skippy and Kraft are in plastic.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:40 PM   #104

Pre covid DH and all bought all our clothes at consignment stores--we have some fairly high end consignment stores in our area and for $50 I could get an entire season of very nice clothes. I can't remember the last time I bought "new" clothes --it has been many years ago. I don't know what I am going to do now that I am no longer shopping due to Covid--I guess I will just wear the clothes I have until they fall apart. I am very frugal.

I don't think I have seen anyone else mention--I still have a flip phone with a cheap grandfathered plan. DH has an iPhone and I have an iPad so I just use the flip phone for actual talking--I can hear on it much better than the iPhone. I have been told they my old phone is being made obsolete but as of today it still works.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:57 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post

I don't think I have seen anyone else mention--I still have a flip phone with a cheap grandfathered plan. DH has an iPhone and I have an iPad so I just use the flip phone for actual talking--I can hear on it much better than the iPhone. I have been told they my old phone is being made obsolete but as of today it still works.

Me, too! My plan is a legacy prepaid plan. I can add money and itís good until I use it. It never expires. No monthly fee. I added $15 in Feb, 2020 and still havenít used it up. $.15 a minute.

DH has an iPhone so weíre not completely out of date.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #106

Another library fan here for books, DVDs, streaming, and also for copies. My mom bugs me from time to time about why I don't just buy a cheap printer, but I don't mind stopping by the library to pick up the occasional printout.

Also, when we eat out, which isn't often, I take in a container for leftovers, and when I leave I take my napkin if I didn't use it much. I'll use it for meals at home or maybe to wipe up something messy instead of using a towel.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:01 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Yes I think you may be right. The Kirkland Organic is in glass while the Skippy and Kraft are in plastic.
Trader Joe's natural peanut butters (plain or crunchy; roasted with or without salt) are in plastic jars. I actually wish they were in glass jars because they are a pain to stir because the oil-less part of the peanut butter can be a solid mass, especially with the plain varieties.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
Go into the gas station to pay cash.
5 cents a gallon is 5 cents a gallon!
However, if you pay with a 2% or more cash back credit card then you are losing money paying cash I think!?
Old 08-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #109
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We buy most of our clothes at Costco. Thrift shops are actually kind of trendy here so Costco is often cheaper, especially considering they are brand new clothes. We usually shop at Costco at least once a month and whenever we see something we like just chuck it in the cart. The thing with Costco is we can't usually wait until we need something as they don't always have a big selection. But with the chuck it in the cart when we see it method, at the end of the year we usually don't need too much else. Jeans on sale might be $10, end of season tops $5 - $7. If I need a new winter coat I go to Costco and pick from one of the three styles they have available.

I've tried buying clothes at Sam's Club but they haven't lasted as long as Costco clothes.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:26 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
However, if you pay with a 2% or more cash back credit card then you are losing money paying cash I think!?
Shell has a 5% discount card which can be used at the pump, plus use a BOA rewards card on top of that.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

We get gas at Costco. I've looked on gasbuddy and never seen cheaper gas for our area.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 08-30-2020, 03:52 PM   #112

The Dollar Store has the same sized candy as in the movie theater. Makes me sad all that's on hold. I bought an entire set of Fiesta dishes, setting for 16 people, $1 bowl, $1 plate, $1 glass. So, $32 for all the plates and bowls. All kitchen utensils, $1, silverware and coffee cups. Really cute too. Gift wrapping paper and gift bags $1. I've probably saved hundreds $$ there. They have arts and crafts for kids. Cheaper than Walmart.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almosttime View Post
Multiple meals out of a whole chicken, including making broth from the bones; use the library and it’s digital accesses. Call cell phone and internet providers annually to keep costs down. We went from a two car family to one. We live frugally to reach FI !
DW buys a whole COOKED chicken from Costco for $5. It's not huge, but it supplies samiches for 6 meals. Full disclosure: We waste a fair amount of the bird because we don't "disect" the last little bits of meat from the bone. Nor do we boil it for soup/stock. We got a $10 gift cert. to Canes Chicken from someone. Basically they sell chicken strips and fries w/cole slaw. SO, It's not bad BUT it's barely a meal for DW and me while a $5 whole chicken covers most of 6 meals.

Heh, heh, so far, no one has called us "cheep" for "living" like this. But I think it was one of the kids who gave us the gift cert. to Canes and I KNOW they think we are cheep! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

I hope yíall arenít throwing out the excess cleaning liquid at the end of the Clorox wipes canister? This stuff is liquid gold. My family has been given strict instructions to not throw this out. I transfer the excess liquid to the next container. Once I run out of wipes, Iíll start making my own with paper towels in the old canister. Iím sure thereís a DIY recipe online for the cleaning solution for when I finally use up all of the Clorox solution too. Who knows how long until weíll see them in stores again.
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 04:38 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
It could also be due to taste. Some people think the plastic taste leaches into the food. Not so much with glass.

Plastic cheap PB here.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

I LOVE this thread. I think we should keep this thread going FOREVER. Lots of great ideas in here. I already have been doing most of them . My sister is constantly rolling her eyes at every money-saving thing I do. She is 9 years older than me and still needs to work full-time for financial reasons. I retired 7 years ago. LBYM does make a HUGE difference. Reading this thread makes me feel not so alone. I am in good company!
Old 08-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
We get gas at Costco. I've looked on gasbuddy and never seen cheaper gas for our area.
Costco is also cheapest here, but is an additional 5 miles round trip from the Shell station, so not worth the extra time or gas to me.
Old 08-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Here's one thing we, well I, do. You know that last bit of sauce or ketchup in the bottle? Do you put a tablespoon of water in the bottle to mix out the last bit? I do. Since the last bit is thickened, the thinning makes it normal.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:07 PM   #119

You know that water you let run down the drain while waiting for it to get hot when you take a shower or wash dishes? In the bathroom I'll collect it in a bucket and use it to flush the toilet once. The water from the kitchen faucet goes into a jug then into the Berkey. I do stash the bathroom bucket away when company's over.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:10 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
I LOVE this thread. I think we should keep this thread going FOREVER. Lots of great ideas in here. I already have been doing most of them . My sister is constantly rolling her eyes at every money-saving thing I do. She is 9 years older than me and still needs to work full-time for financial reasons. I retired 7 years ago. LBYM does make a HUGE difference. Reading this thread makes me feel not so alone. I am in good company!
I like all the tips as well. I keep a list of potential frugal and urban homesteading projects in a spreadsheet and it is always very long. I never catch up, but that is fine. It keeps me busy during the pandemic. My big frugal project this summer was decorating the backyard with mason jar lanterns and solar fairy lights. I bought up the lantern stakes on closeout last summer for 25 cents each. I saw some similar ones for $30 each at a garden shop last week. DH helped put up the string lights in the trees and around a $150 patio table in perfect shape I got for free on a Freecycle type site.

I could spend more, but for me half the fun of the projects is the treasure hunt part.