Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-30-2020, 07:22 PM   #121
Administrator

We regularly shop at Goodwill. Some of our friends are skeeved out about the prospect.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 04:51 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post
You know that water you let run down the drain while waiting for it to get hot when you take a shower or wash dishes? In the bathroom I'll collect it in a bucket and use it to flush the toilet once. The water from the kitchen faucet goes into a jug then into the Berkey. I do stash the bathroom bucket away when company's over.
What a great idea!

JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:38 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some relatives, friends, neighbors and myself this year will spend $3000 to make a barrel of Cabernet Sauvignon made from some of the finest California grapes. The very same grapes grown in the same vineyard, are used by several notable wineries, that in the past have retailed $60-80/bottle. It will run us about $11/bottle to make. This is the most expensive wine I make; in other years, other varieties cost about $7/bottle to make, and can run at a retailer close to $35/bottle.

For at least 7 years, DW and I have acquired one FREE 30 gallon fill up of gasoline each month. That's 2520 FREE gallons, at minimum, from a local grocer offering reward points. We purchase groceries (no beef, and for 5 years, no pork because we bought out own cow/hog.) and gift cards for the vendors we use. We usually charge them on our Southwest card, which qualifies us for a companion pass. Any items we purchase for the rentals are done with gift cards, and are sometimes doubled or tripled around the holidays.

We did screw up one year, when we bought our quartz countertops. Since we don't commute to w*rk any more, we had too many points expiring at the end of one month. So the relatives, tenants and neighbors dropped their gas cans off, and we gave away at least 300 gallons of gas, so they wouldn't expire.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #124

Seven pages of money saving ideas in 3 days. I'm surprised. Wait, this is e-r.forum....no I'm not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
My beer fridge is stocked with Hamms.
This one wins my "Honestly Cheap" award. If I'm going to have a beer, it's going to be something I really think is exceptional. Or if not, at least something I brewed myself (for about $0.50 per "bottle").
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
What a great idea!
I don't waste the water waiting for the shower to heat up...I shower in it (exercising my endothelial cells through cold exposure). It's not about saving money, because when the hot comes, I take my time and enjoy it.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:23 AM   #125

I am not surprised this thread is 7 pages. Most of us are thrifty by nature and due to Covid many of us have some time on our hands.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:26 AM   #126
Recycles dryer sheets

I learned about the value of used clothing as a teen, when my parents agreed that I could choose my own clothes if I paid for 1/2 of them through chores and birthday money. I used to find pretty good name-brand stuff at Building #19 closeout stores, too, if any New Englanders are reading this thread. :-D
Old 08-31-2020, 09:32 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We regularly shop at Goodwill. Some of our friends are skeeved out about the prospect.
Maybe your friends don't realize that thrift stores have come up in the world. They use to be pretty grungy and disorganized, with grimy shelves and bins you had to paw through to find things. Now days most thrifts stores are much cleaner and better organized. Some don't even have much of that thrift store smell anymore.

Of course the prices have come up too, but they're still a great deal and provide training and jobs for many people.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I am not surprised this thread is 7 pages. Most of us are thrifty by nature and due to Covid many of us have some time on our hands.
I am surprised that this thread is ONLY seven pages!
Old 08-31-2020, 10:23 AM   #129

Quote:
I don't think I have seen anyone else mention--I still have a flip phone with a cheap grandfathered plan. DH has an iPhone and I have an iPad so I just use the flip phone for actual talking--I can hear on it much better than the iPhone. I have been told they my old phone is being made obsolete but as of today it still works.
DH and I also still have flip phones. I see our model, the Samsung T129, being sold on eBay for more, sometimes way more, than the $20 we paid for them. We'll probably switch to smartphones when we start traveling more, and I know I'll miss my little communicator for its ruggedness, small size, and the way it just sits there quietly much of the time, not beckoning me for attention.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I don't waste the water waiting for the shower to heat up...I shower in it (exercising my endothelial cells through cold exposure).
What a bad idea!

Can't stand cold showers.

JoeWras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

I don't think I have seen anyone else mention--I still have a flip phone with a cheap grandfathered plan. DH has an iPhone and I have an iPad so I just use the flip phone for actual talking--I can hear on it much better than the iPhone. I have been told they my old phone is being made obsolete but as of today it still works.
I have a grandfathered plan as well.

I found I could upgrade to an unlocked smart phone I bought on sale, then just move the SIM card over to the new phone.
Once I had to bring the old phone and new phone into a t-mobile store to get a new SIM card with the same number (same account was most important to stay grandfathered), as the physical card was not the right size.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:36 AM   #132

We are not as thrifty as some of you folks, but we are rigorous about turning off lights and generally not wasting electricity. We do a lot of clothes drying outside. We keep our thermostats at levels (summer & winter) that our sons say is a way to ensure they don't visit long. (They might have a point... )

We also turn our water off at the meter if we go out of town for a night or more. That means turning off the electric water heater at the breaker.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:43 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
We also turn our water off at the meter if we go out of town for a night or more. That means turning off the electric water heater at the breaker.
Always a good idea, especially if you've been cheap like us and not replaced your water heater for 17 years.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:57 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
DW reuses dryer sheets. Seriously.
I used to cut my dryer sheets up into halves or quarters and reuse them. Then I just stopped using them entirely. My laundry may have a little more static but I can live with that.
geeky_grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:44 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
What a bad idea!

Can't stand cold showers.
It is cheap birth control.
travelover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:57 PM   #136
Full time employment: Posting here.

I still use a flip phone with an inexpensive legacy prepaid plan. I rarely use it. Just had to replace it with a new flip phone a few months ago, and was told the old phone was so old I had missed 3 or 4 upgrades.

My wife has a smart phone.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #137
Give me a forum ...

We replaced our flip phone and even upgraded our smart phone to have enough storage for Uber and Lyft, in case of emergencies. I still have my iPods, though. I use them for listening to music on the train. I've haven't seen another iPod on the train for over 5 years now, but I feel like there are low odds anyone would want to steal my iPod compare to someone with a fancy smart phone.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:22 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Wow, 92 posts and no one has yet admitted that they strain the broken glass out of a dropped peanut butter jar?
Well, we did on a jar of rare tamarind chutney brought as a gift from overseas. The glass rim had a chip.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:40 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

In the 70's, as he watched inflation shrink his non-COLA pension, my dad (always a skinflint) became so cheap, he would turn off the water heater when he was done taking a shower. Then not turn it back on until just before dinner, so dishes could be washed at night. Mom and I had to use whatever hot water was left in the tank and pipes. It was the 70's, remember - my hair was practically down to my waist. I learned to wash it in cold water.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:57 AM   #140
gone traveling

My son uses shop towels like kleenex, one use, and done. I try to fully use them until they start falling apart. I also re-use zippy bags for sandwiches in my lunch.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote