Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2020, 05:35 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
I still use a flip phone with an inexpensive legacy prepaid plan. I rarely use it. Just had to replace it with a new flip phone a few months ago, and was told the old phone was so old I had missed 3 or 4 upgrades.

My wife has a smart phone.
I have a smartphone but I use Ting (which I learned about here). My bill is usually $17/month. It KILLS me to go over 100 mb of data usage or 100 minutes of talk time because then it goes up by $6 or $7.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2020, 07:28 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In the 70's, as he watched inflation shrink his non-COLA pension, my dad (always a skinflint) became so cheap, he would turn off the water heater when he was done taking a shower. Then not turn it back on until just before dinner, so dishes could be washed at night. Mom and I had to use whatever hot water was left in the tank and pipes. It was the 70's, remember - my hair was practically down to my waist. I learned to wash it in cold water.
Hey! Back in the dim and distant I routed our water heater wiring through a pool pump timer and had it set to come on just before we got up for work and for an hour in the evening. Worked pretty well with little privation. AIR it saved us about $10/month. Just the two of us though.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:43 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

I wear clothes completely out. Example: My wholy underwear are good until I pull them up and the elastic band tears off. Then and only then do they go in the trash. They are darn near see through by then anyway!
Old 09-01-2020, 11:00 AM   #144

Yikes! We resemble these comments!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
My friend waters down the Soft Soap he puts in his bathroom soap dispenser because he thinks the kids use too much. CHEAP!

I prefer it watered down because too much concentrated soap comes out if we don't. Wastes soap and you need more water and time to rinse clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
I've been known to do that too, especially in the last few months when I had a hard time finding liquid hand soap!!

I have washed and re used zip lock bags, which has gotten me looks from my kids.

DTW (Dear Trophy Wife) has cleaned and reused ziplocks for years. Her Fancy Friend made fun of her too. Well, DW and I have been FIRE'd for 6 years while Fancy Friend is upside down in his Fancy Neighborhood house and will have to w*rk past 70 to avoid foreclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I cut my own hair (did it even before the pandemic). I never could find a stylist who would cut it the way I like so I figured it was just a waste of money.

DW is my stylist and she now colors here own hair. Saves Megabucks! I can actually get a cut when my hair grows too long instead going Shaggy because I can't bear the hassle and blowing dough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
LOL, I thought about including that. I have four one-liter bottles that I fill with water and put in the refrigerator. I feel like I should just get a cooler and service from one of those delivery services, as they're not expensive, but I can't bring myself to pay for WATER.

+1 I hear you! Can't bear paying and shlepping water. I do pay for decent water filters though, for the fridge water supply. Store brand Amazon basics, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
BJs brand napkins are way cheaper than name brands, and just as good. My thrifty way is to buy the smaller luncheon napkins. We don't make a big mess when eating, and the smaller napkins sometimes are not even soiled. Then I use them to wipe the kitchen counters!

You guys must have been spying on DW in the kitchen for years.
When I'm feeling rich, I secretly toss the gathering pile of increasingly crusty countertop napkins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, that was my first reaction to this forum - I donít even use dryer sheets!

What's a dryer sheet Haven't seen one since the 1980's. Is it related to fabric softener? Haven't bought fabric softener as an adult. Got used to the slight skin exfoliation. Quite nice actually, plus no "fragrance" odor!
Old 09-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
What kind of terry rags do you use rodi? I donít like the way the microfiber cloths feel for cleaning in the kitchen, but something like this sounds like it might be a better option.
They are from Costco near the automotive area... I think the package says shop towels. A loose terry, that is washcloth sized. I don't bother to bleach then y so they are no longer white. But they are clean.

We also have the yellow micro fiber cloths from Costco. I use those for dusting, and wiping down car surfaces, cleaning the window blinds.
Old 09-01-2020, 12:19 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYDREAMER View Post
I wear clothes completely out. Example: My wholy underwear are good until I pull them up and the elastic band tears off. Then and only then do they go in the trash. They are darn near see through by then anyway!
Now that's going too far! I can wear socks with a hole but I just can't wear underwear with a hole! My mother always use to say "what if you were in an accident and you had to go to the hospital with holey underwear"? Today I guess it would be --"what if you were struck down with Covid and you had to go the hospital with holey underwear."
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:51 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've seen this at the lap pool too. Suits that are paper thin and completely faded. Uh, it is not good when this happens. If you are a lap swimmer, switch out your suit before it is see thru. The real thrifty wear 2 or three thinned out suits over each other. That works for the frugal types.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb001 View Post
What kind of terry rags do you use rodi
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
They are from Costco near the automotive area... I think the package says shop towels. A loose terry, that is washcloth sized.
Both Home Depot and Lowes sell these, and "t-shirt tails", in the paint sections as painter's rags. To get the t-shirt tails to washcloth size you may have to cut them in half or thirds. Since they're the cut-offs from making t-shirts the sizes can vary quite a bit but for rag use that's a feature, not a bug.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:50 PM   #149

I have bought a few sets of Wash cloths at Walmart to use as cleaning cloths. They have a set of 12 x 12 white washcloths, each pack has 12 cloths. They bleach when needed. I wash them with my towels each week. I only use about a roll of paper towel every three months or so, mostly use cloth.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:06 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Let's hope biodegradable underwear, made from fungal mycelium, doesn't catch on!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...e/?arc404=true

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:38 PM   #151

Quote:
Reminds me of a quiz question from Dave Barry:

Quote:
10. When is it okay to throw away a set of veteran underwear?
a. When it has turned the color of a dead whale and developed new holes so large that you're not sure which ones were originally intended for your legs.
b. When it is down to eight loosely connected underwear molecules and has to be handled with tweezers.
c. It is never okay to throw away veteran underwear. A real guy checks the garbage regularly in case somebody -- and we are not naming names, but this would be his wife -- is quietly trying to discard his underwear, which she is frankly jealous of, because the guy seems to have a more intimate relationship with it than with her.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #152
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
They are from Costco near the automotive area... I think the package says shop towels. A loose terry, that is washcloth sized. I don't bother to bleach then y so they are no longer white. But they are clean.

We also have the yellow micro fiber cloths from Costco. I use those for dusting, and wiping down car surfaces, cleaning the window blinds.
Thanks! Will look for them next time Iím there. We use the yellow ones too.
tb001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:00 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

My grandmother used to live on a farm and still remembered the depression vividly.

Her habit that I considered strange at the time was reusing paper coffee filters.
I remember the stained fluted cup like paper drying in her sink.

My dislike was mostly how hard it would be to clean the grounds out of the filter without losing the grounds into the sink. What I failed to consider was she may well have used a garden hose to rinse it over her compost pile. (or god forbid (lol) the unused guest toilet.)

I buy the filters at the dollar store and there are 150 filters per $1 and i have no compost pile or yard in the condo. However I was having to use 2 filters at a time to keep them from collapsing during the coffee making process until i discovered taking the filter from the bottom non open side kept the structural integrity better so only one cheap filter was needed.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:17 AM   #154
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn't everyone's grandma used to save bread wrappers and twisties ? The bread wrappers went over your socks in the winter time before you put on your boots. I'm not sure what grandma used the twisties for, but she had them in case she needed them.

Empty cool whip containers were used to freeze garden produce.

A lot of my grandma rubbed off on me.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #155
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
Didn't everyone's grandma used to save bread wrappers and twisties ? The bread wrappers went over your socks in the winter time before you put on your boots. I'm not sure what grandma used the twisties for, but she had them in case she needed them.

Empty cool whip containers were used to freeze garden produce.

A lot of my grandma rubbed off on me.
I luv twist ties, true funny fairly recent story.. Ordered a bunch of twist ties off of amazon maybe 200 or 500 fairly long black .
Got the padded envelop which seemed really light and flat. Opened and found nothing at all in it. Got the refund but made me wonder if it was robot filled or something. I used them to fasten all sorts of cables and cords together...
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #156
Full time employment: Posting here.

When thereís a handful of napkins and straws in the fast food bag I add them all to my kitchen table napkin holder and kitchen drawer.
Old 09-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my favorite (and most relatable) Jeff Foxworthy lines:
"If you have a 12 piece matching set of salad bowls that say Cool Whip, you might be a redneck!"
Lienlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready-4-ER-at-14 View Post
I buy the filters at the dollar store and there are 150 filters per $1 and i have no compost pile or yard in the condo. However I was having to use 2 filters at a time to keep them from collapsing during the coffee making process until i discovered taking the filter from the bottom non open side kept the structural integrity better so only one cheap filter was needed.
Ugh, nothing put a damper on my morning like a collapsed coffee filter!

I cut a yogurt container down to half-height then push my stack of cheap coffee filters into it. It squeezes the filters into shape, making them more rigid. Haven't had a collapse since I started that, no matter which side I take the filter from.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:15 AM   #159

We save envelopes and sections of blank paper from mail to use for notes and shopping lists, even though there are at least a couple dozen unused notebooks and tablets of various sizes in the house. I'm sure the notebooks and tablets will be used for some grand purpose someday!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Ah, depression era grandmothers.

Here's my grandmother's favorite thrifty trick. Never, ever, waste bacon grease. Throw a slice of bread in the pan, soak it up and eat it. Not ready for that? Save the grease and use it on your bread for an afternoon snack.

Meanwhile, her son (my dad) took maybe a shower a week, and always limited it to a few minutes. Must turn off water while soaping. Dad never smelled bad. I don't know how he did it.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote