Join Early Retirement Today

What is one everyday thing you think is THRIFTY, but your friends/family think is CHE
Old 08-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is one everyday thing you think is THRIFTY, but your friends/family think is CHE

My friend waters down the Soft Soap he puts in his bathroom soap dispenser because he thinks the kids use too much. CHEAP!
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
My friend waters down the Soft Soap he puts in his bathroom soap dispenser because he thinks the kids use too much. CHEAP!

I do that! [emoji16]
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been known to do that too, especially in the last few months when I had a hard time finding liquid hand soap!!

I have washed and re used zip lock bags, which has gotten me looks from my kids.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Multiple meals out of a whole chicken, including making broth from the bones; use the library and it’s digital accesses. Call cell phone and internet providers annually to keep costs down. We went from a two car family to one. We live frugally to reach FI !
almosttime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I do a lot of my home maintenance. I do my own housework, lawn work, small repairs, and painting. My house is 111 years old and I am not sure I could afford to live here if I had to hire out for everything. I am 63 and DH is 69. He can't do very much, so I'll do it as long as I can.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

im just here loitering looking for better ideas. I already dilute my soap and I also water down most beverages bc I find them too sweet and too caloric, but it also saves money.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #7

I asked DH this year to install dual flush toilet valves in all 3 of our bathrooms to save on water use. He initially protested as it being unnecessary, probably more because he knew who would be the one installing them.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:30 AM   #8

Hi, I’m a self-made multimillionaire and I like those paper towel rolls with the half sheets.[emoji857]
Old 08-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Hi, I’m a self-made multimillionaire and I like those paper towel rolls with the half sheets.[emoji857]
I've begun to tear the half sheets into two pieces. DW refers to me as "Old quarter sheet"
Old 08-29-2020, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I've begun to tear the half sheets into two pieces. DW refers to me as "Old quarter sheet"
Just tell your wife you are in good company:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post

It only makes sense! Full sheets and full strength hand soap must be meant for the lah-de-dah private jet crowd with diamonds on their shoe laces.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
I asked DH this year to install dual flush toilet valves in all 3 of our bathrooms to save on water use. He initially protested as it being unnecessary, probably more because he knew who would be the one installing them.
I wonder what the payoff time is? Well, time to Do The Math (tm).

Our most expensive water (Tier 3) is about $.012 / gallon. (Our cheapest water costs about a third of that.). Assuming you save 1 gallon per liquid waste flush, that means that each flush saves about a penny. We currently have three toilets and three people in the house. Assuming 5 flushes per day per person with a 60% "liquid only" flush rate, that means we would save about $.10 per day.

A dual flush toilet kit is $20, and I would need three of them. so $75/.1 = 750 days to payoff the valves. Not too bad, actually.

Now I need to factor in the cursing tax, the dropped a tool on my foot tax, and the multiple trips to the hardware store when I break something tax. So lets call it a 5 year payoff ;-)

Might be good eco-friendly reasons to make the change, but for me the payoff probably is not there. The equation changes dramatically if you have more people in the house, more "frequent flushers", or higher cost water!
dak2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've been called a lot of things but being cheap ain't one of them.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:56 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Kitchen savings: Wash and reuse plastic bags, wash vegetables before peeling, cutting. Keep carrot peels, old tomatoes, ect in freezer. When I have a bowlful: Instapot cook with water, cool, filter and use this instead of store bought vegi broth. White cotton dish towels for paper towels, napkins, permanent straws. Paper towels are for dog related events. A half sheet roll will last months.

Kids tease me but I tell them saving on small things makes more dollars for big things.
Sanstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak2018 View Post
I wonder what the payoff time is? Well, time to Do The Math (tm).

Our most expensive water (Tier 3) is about $.012 / gallon. (Our cheapest water costs about a third of that.). Assuming you save 1 gallon per liquid waste flush, that means that each flush saves about a penny. We currently have three toilets and three people in the house. Assuming 5 flushes per day per person with a 60% "liquid only" flush rate, that means we would save about $.10 per day.

A dual flush toilet kit is $20, and I would need three of them. so $75/.1 = 750 days to payoff the valves. Not too bad, actually.

Now I need to factor in the cursing tax, the dropped a tool on my foot tax, and the multiple trips to the hardware store when I break something tax. So lets call it a 5 year payoff ;-)

Might be good eco-friendly reasons to make the change, but for me the payoff probably is not there. The equation changes dramatically if you have more people in the house, more "frequent flushers", or higher cost water!
I had to install a new toilet recently and didn't know it at purchase, but it is a dual flush toilet and I like it, I didn't even know there was such a thing.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I had to install a new toilet recently and didn't know it at purchase, but it is a dual flush toilet and I like it, I didn't even know there was such a thing.
I always thought you had to replace the entire toilet to get a dual flush, then I saw the valve assembly at a hardware store. It was really more a desire to save water due to the frequent drought conditions in my area. I recall the aghast expression of a German man who exclaimed, "Americans use drinking water to flush their toilets!"
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 12:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Years ago, I went without a text plan on my cell phone. Since I only got a text or two a month, why pay $5 or $10 when I can pay 25 or 50 cents? Then I met some new friends I skied with. They'd text "Hi!" then "are you there" and so on, and I said, "You know, that costs me a quarter for every text. No big deal, but maybe combine messages into one?" Nope, I'm cheap. A while later, but not right away, I was getting enough texts to go with a plan.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I, too, make my own veg, meat & bone broths + Bouquet garni. I hate to waste veggies/ herbs & composting is too much trouble for us (we buy our organic mulch from a local source). I save foil if it is clean and reuse baggies if they are easily cleaned (no meat ones).

When we have a bunch of random things in our freezer/ fridge that need to find a home (frozen 2 months or more), I make what I call our "Pu Pu Platter". We have had some really weird small plate dinners, but it's always good & makes my DH & DM laugh when I make the announcement. We do actually order REAL Pu Pu Platters from our local Chinese place. I like small plate meals.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Is this LBMYs Anonymous?

Hi, I'm a self-made multimillionaire and I tear a tiny corner off my half-sheet paper towels when I have a drop of something to clean off the counter. Or I'll put a half sheet that's only been used to wipe up water on top of the paper towel stand to dry.

I also spend a lot of time calculating unit price or other cost, and buy a lot of anything that will not go bad quickly, such as when our local grocery store had boxes of Whoppers half off, or a dollar each, I bought 10 boxes...each time we got groceries! I think my family got sick of hearing how for $1, each box was enough for a dessert treat for me for at least 4-5 nights.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergal View Post
I've been known to do that too, especially in the last few months when I had a hard time finding liquid hand soap!!

I have washed and re used zip lock bags, which has gotten me looks from my kids.

I thought I was the only one who did that?
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote