Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cut my own hair (did it even before the pandemic). I never could find a stylist who would cut it the way I like so I figured it was just a waste of money.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I cut my own hair (did it even before the pandemic). I never could find a stylist who would cut it the way I like so I figured it was just a waste of money.
Wow, that's impressive! I cut my own, but it requires zero skill:

Old 08-29-2020, 01:31 PM   #23

Go into the gas station to pay cash.
5 cents a gallon is 5 cents a gallon!
Old 08-29-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Can the turning the underwear inside out comment be far away?

As for me, I religiously monitor the credit card spending across 5 CC's to maximize the rewards points.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #25

My beer fridge is stocked with Hamms.
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #26

I save the extra napkins from my take out orders, Depending on the quality, they can be used in place of paper towels as cleaning wipes, for floor spills, as tissues, and for cleaning kids sticky faces.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I don't drink regular soda because of the sugar in it, but also I don't keep any diet soda in my frig. I mean gee, a chemical mix with no nutritive value at all? And I'm paying for it? Not gonna do it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
I've begun to tear the half sheets into two pieces. DW refers to me as "Old quarter sheet"
I do that , too and use both sides.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I do that , too and use both sides.
We are talking about paper towels I hope.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:36 PM   #30

DW reuses dryer sheets. Seriously.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #31

I rotate among streaming services and don't have more than two going in any given month. We end up seeing everything on all the various services, but not necessarily the week it comes out.

I fired our overpriced yard service and bought a used mower. Paid for itself within a month.

I used to do all my own auto repair, but I've lost the taste for it a bit as I've gotten older. Still do routine stuff like brake pads and oil changes.

Speaking of cars, I buy everything used - and generally search around for a long time to find cheap private party deals. Then I drive until the wheels fall off. I've never gotten rid of a car with less than 200K miles (most between 250 and 400).

Maybe I am cheap, but I ain't changing.

PS. We do DIY travel: Pick a country, go there, rent a car and explore for a month or two. Not as efficient as a packaged tour, but you see more offbeat stuff and spend a lot less.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

When we were both young and in graduate school we used cloth diapers for our babies. We were accused of being cheap, but now that it’s ecologically beneficial, it is viewed as a “selfless act for the planet.” When my colleagues were giving me odd looks for washing and reusing my plastic silverware, their tune changed when I said “I hate to see it go into the landfill”. In actuality I was just being frugal. It’s funny how the same behaviors are judged negatively or positively based on one’s beliefs.
Lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:03 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

We do all our own home repairs, minor and major. Cut our lawn, all 2 acres. Snow blow the driveway. Basically there is zero hired help for anything around the house.
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:36 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I save the extra napkins from my take out orders, Depending on the quality, they can be used in place of paper towels as cleaning wipes, for floor spills, as tissues, and for cleaning kids sticky faces.

Me too. Definitely motivated by that recent period when TP, paper towels and napkins were nowhere to be found.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:47 PM   #35
Administrator

When I was working, I brought my own lunch from home every day. Almost always, it was leftovers from the night before. My old, battered, coal miner's aluminum lunchbox (which had been my grandfather's) was famous in my office building. People would constantly comment on it as we were walking in from the parking lot.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I tear a tiny corner off my half-sheet paper towels when I have a drop of something to clean off the counter. Or I'll put a half sheet that's only been used to wipe up water on top of the paper towel stand to dry.

DW does exactly this!

She will also save pieces of Saran Wrap that have been used to cover dishes, if they are still clean.

If I run across one of her treasures (e.g. a used piece of string coiled into a small bundle for future use), I’ll proclaim, “Mr. and Mrs. Pack Rat!” She smiles and does not disagree. [emoji4]
TimeMeasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeMeasure View Post
DW does exactly this!

She will also save pieces of Saran Wrap that have been used to cover dishes, if they are still clean.

If I run across one of her treasures (e.g. a used piece of string coiled into a small bundle for future use), I’ll proclaim, “Mr. and Mrs. Pack Rat!” She smiles and does not disagree. [emoji4]
You never know when you might need something. I had antique door hardware down in my cellar for 27 years before I finally used it last summer to make a new door.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Is this LBMYs Anonymous?

Hi, I'm a self-made multimillionaire and I tear a tiny corner off my half-sheet paper towels when I have a drop of something to clean off the counter. Or I'll put a half sheet that's only been used to wipe up water on top of the paper towel stand to dry.

I also spend a lot of time calculating unit price or other cost, and buy a lot of anything that will not go bad quickly, such as when our local grocery store had boxes of Whoppers half off, or a dollar each, I bought 10 boxes...each time we got groceries! I think my family got sick of hearing how for $1, each box was enough for a dessert treat for me for at least 4-5 nights.

Cosmic Avenger, you are my kind of super hero!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:09 PM   #39

I don't drink soft drinks or buy bottled water. I fill my water bottles at the sink and let them sit a couple of hours with the tops off to let the chlorine gas off.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:11 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
I don't drink soft drinks or buy bottled water. I fill my water bottles at the sink and let them sit a couple of hours with the tops off to let the chlorine gas off.
LOL, I thought about including that. I have four one-liter bottles that I fill with water and put in the refrigerator. I feel like I should just get a cooler and service from one of those delivery services, as they're not expensive, but I can't bring myself to pay for WATER.