Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Ah, dpression era grandmothers.

Here's my grandmother's favorite thrifty trick. Never, ever, waste bacon grease. Throw a slice of bread in the pan, soak it up and eat it. Not ready for that? Save the grease and use it on your break for an afternoon snack.

Meanwhile, her son (my dad) took maybe a shower a week, and always limited it to a few minutes. Must turn off water while soaping. Dad never smelled bad. I don't know how he did it.
I use the bacon grease to cook the sunny side up eggs.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2020, 11:51 AM   #162
Recycles dryer sheets

We catch our water as the shower is warming up in a bucket, and use to flush the toilet.
jurgs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:40 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready-4-ER-at-14 View Post
I luv twist ties,......
I use this rubber coated wire sold to anchor plants, from Dollar Tree. It works great for electronics cords. It is seasonal, so I can't find the Dollar Tree link, but this is the same stuff at Ace for much more. LINK
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
I do take home the unused soaps and used/unused hair products from the hotel, but not the used bar soaps.
So that's why they installed those gawdaweful dispensers of shampoo and bodywash on the walls!

I also just retired my iPhone4S bought used in 2012 for $100 and bought an SE 2020 for $25/mo, no charge for usage.

We have moved beyond many of the habits described here. We have taken Blow That Dough thread to heart. Plus the market has spoiled us.

So we only reuse ziplocks when they are almost clean anyway just to get the oder out. Love the Costco yellow cloths and wash them.
Old 09-02-2020, 12:59 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgs01 View Post
We catch our water as the shower is warming up in a bucket, and use to flush the toilet.
Do you pour the water directly into the toilet? Or into the water tank of the toilet?
Old 09-02-2020, 01:04 PM   #166
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here's my grandmother's favorite thrifty trick. Never, ever, waste bacon grease. Throw a slice of bread in the pan, soak it up and eat it. Not ready for that? Save the grease and use it on your bread for an afternoon snack.

Part of a great British breakfast is frying both sides of the bread in the bacon grease after the eggs have been cooked. Don't knock it till you've tried it, it's absolutely delicious and comes out crispy.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #167

I'm not a bread eater (LCHF diet) but I've kept a can of bacon grease in the frig all my life. Easy to spoon out a little to get a skillet going for cooking just about anything. I use a strainer on top so the can holds just the grease.

This is a great example:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2013 View Post
Do you pour the water directly into the toilet? Or into the water tank of the toilet?
Pouring water into the bowl will flush it.

Also, re: bacon grease, it won't use much of it, but I like dipping a teaspoon into it (just to coat it) and stirring my coffee with the spoon. It has some of the mouth feel of cream, but with a bit of salt, which some people add to their coffee to reduce the bitterness.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn't everyone's grandma used to save bread wrappers and twisties ? The bread wrappers went over your socks in the winter time before you put on your bootsI thought everybody used bread bags in their boots! How else would you keep your hand me down socks dry?
Lucie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:33 PM   #170
Recycles dryer sheets

In the 80s I bought a little heavy wire frame that holds a plastic bag you get when buying something. I’ve mounted it on the inside of a cabinet everywhere I’ve lived. It has a lid so there’s no smell.
Never bought garbage bags.
Arizona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #171

+1, the free grocery store plastic bags have been my bathroom trashcan liners for as long as I can remember. I live in California and now we have to pay 10 cents for "reusable" bags that are a little thicker. My states effort to cut down on plastic waste backfired on them when Covid19 came along and we were no longer allowed to use these reusable bags in the stores and the stores had to buy more of the cheap single use trash bags again.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
Didn't everyone's grandma used to save bread wrappers and twisties ? The bread wrappers went over your socks in the winter time before you put on your boots

I thought everybody used bread bags in their boots! How else would you keep your hand me down socks dry?
I vaguely remember bread bags in the boots!

We make our own bread and use a large ziplock bag. I have to use new so as to avoid any mold spores from a used bag. The good news is we find the bags work well as cat litter containment packages. Clean the box, and deposit the accretion disks into the ziplock, where you can trap the odor and throw away.

I suspect any of these bags would also work well for dog poop. No need to go out and buy special poop bags.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:25 PM   #173

Man, I’ve been accused of squeezing the buffalo off a nickel but I have met my match on this string! We must have scared off the OP, who hasn’t been seen since. I can’t throw away a twist tie or rubber band but all y’all who reuse your dental floss are on your own. 🤦🏼*♂️
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #174

Yes, over 30 years of using the disposable grocery bags for cat litter.
When coming home from the store, the bags automatically go into a bag hanging over the washing machine. Removed as needed for any purpose. We have never NOT recycled them in some fashion.

Another little thing is that I don't think we have ever thrown out a towel. They go into a bag in the laundry room for use as rags or whatever. After use, they can easily be thrown into the washing machine for reuse. Probably saves some enormous amount that would have been spent on paper towels.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:42 PM   #175
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I'm not a bread eater (LCHF diet) but I've kept a can of bacon grease in the frig all my life. Easy to spoon out a little to get a skillet going for cooking just about anything. I use a strainer on top so the can holds just the grease.
My late husband was born in 1938 and grew up very poor. Bacon grease was "seasoning" to pour over cooked vegetables. They mostly had cabbage because it was cheap. As an adult, DH refused to eat boiled cabbage.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:31 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Heck, I did this with newspaper bags as an adult, for shoveling snow (or just walking in it)! Also comes in handy if you need to shower with a cast on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucie View Post

I thought everybody used bread bags in their boots! How else would you keep your hand me down socks dry?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Here's my grandmother's favorite thrifty trick. Never, ever, waste bacon grease. Throw a slice of bread in the pan, soak it up and eat it. Not ready for that? Save the grease and use it on your bread for an afternoon snack.

Part of a great British breakfast is frying both sides of the bread in the bacon grease after the eggs have been cooked. Don't knock it till you've tried it, it's absolutely delicious and comes out crispy.
I must be cheap/thrifty since many of the tricks shared here are what we have always done.

I think that the fried eggs on bacon grease fried bread is called "Adam and Eve on a Raft". It was introduced to me by my British grandfather who served in the army in World War 1. That and bacon and stewed tomatoes ---yummm, one of my favorite breakfasts!! Old British army fare.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #178

My shopping list, on the smallest piece of paper possible that I tear off from the bottom of a sheet. And my note taking is in pencil and I erase old notes to make room for new ones.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #179
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
+1, the free grocery store plastic bags have been my bathroom trashcan liners for as long as I can remember. I live in California and now we have to pay 10 cents for "reusable" bags that are a little thicker. My states effort to cut down on plastic waste backfired on them when Covid19 came along and we were no longer allowed to use these reusable bags in the stores and the stores had to buy more of the cheap single use trash bags again.

A few of the stores I go to are now letting customers bring their own bags again, as long as they keep the bags in the cart and pack their own groceries.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 04:41 AM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
My late husband was born in 1938 and grew up very poor. Bacon grease was "seasoning" to pour over cooked vegetables. They mostly had cabbage because it was cheap. As an adult, DH refused to eat boiled cabbage.
My heritage is N. Europe. This is true judging by my grandparents from both sides, different countries. No offense to Polish-German grandma, but I found her cabbage disgusting because of the grease.

Now my Dutch grandma made a salad that consisted of lettuce (alternately cabbage), bacon grease and soft boiled eggs. It was actually pretty darn good.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote