Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #201
Dryer sheet aficionado

After reading some of these posts, I told DW I would never complain again when she does not buy things from Publix when they are not their sales cycle.
FI50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #202
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Have to sleep on it.

The Amazon “List” function is great for that. I often research some product and then put it on my List (not the shopping cart.). 95% of the time, I forget about the passing fancy I was so interested in but I like that it’s still there should I want it.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I thought I was the only one who did that?
I thought everybody did that!

Also: serious question, when did nail salon visits become so common, even required? A bottle of nail polish costs $3.49. What does it mean if I don't visit them? Am I unkempt? Slovenly?
Old 09-04-2020, 01:08 PM   #204
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's an interesting question. My nails stay very short because I use my hands a lot; nail treatments would be a waste of money.

In fact quite a few women I've known, who were nail-salon devotees, don't have much spending money. I suspect nail treatments must be carefully priced just low enough to seem like a reasonable treat.

If I had to rank "beauty" activities in order of genuine usefulness, the list would go something like:
1. Cleanliness
2. Dental care
3. Exercise
4. Good diet
5. Sufficient sleep
6. Hair color (if gray)(you can color your own hair, despite what some say)
7. Hair cut (flattering as well as practical - not over the ears)
8. Shaving (if hairy where society says one shouldn't be)
9. Well-fitting clothes and shoes
10. All that other stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post

Also: serious question, when did nail salon visits become so common, even required? A bottle of nail polish costs $3.49. What does it mean if I don't visit them? Am I unkempt? Slovenly?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:48 PM   #205
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickernick View Post
My friend waters down the Soft Soap he puts in his bathroom soap dispenser because he thinks the kids use too much. CHEAP!
For the most part, we now use shampoo which does the job just as good as Softsoap. Some shampoos we did not like for our hair, so this is where the idea came from. Many times you can buy decent shampoo for hand washing far cheaper than Softsoap.

If you water it down, it dispenses easier and lathers more quickly.
rcbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:32 PM   #206
Recycles dryer sheets

Cut the dryer sheets into 1/3rds - still work.
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:38 PM   #207

Too many to list, but one thing is I wash out all plastic bags and non stick aluminum foil for reuse.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #208
Dryer sheet aficionado

On reusing dental floss. DON’T! Flossing helps reduce inflammation which in turn has been linked to heart disease. Google it.

Foaming soap. I strongly prefer the foaming soap dispensers to the full strength ones. The soap is diluted and it spreads easier on your hands. I DO refill them. Like in a triangular Dial dispenser, put about 1/4 inch of dish soap in the bottom and fill it with warm water. Shake to mix. Yes, the foam in the bottle goes away.

Dryer sheets. I use them only for my acrylic dress socks. If I don’t use them there, I get a static lightning bolt about a foot long. Anyway, I cut a corner off the sheet for every load and when the corners are gone, so is the sheet. My box is probably a lifetime supply.

Hotel soap: I take the soap and then reuse my own bar. The “new” ones I donate to the Food Bank. No, they’re NOT food, but the Food Bank clients have to use CASH to buy soap. I.E. you can’t buy soap with an EBT or SNAP card.

Food past best by date: My lady friend likes this story but it is 100% true. When I was an infantryman in Vietnam, in 1970/71, the C-rations we got had production dates from the end of WWII, so they were 25 years old. For those not familiar, these were canned goods. My model is if cans aren’t rusty and have their seal, canned goods last a very long time. For very acidic items, pineapple and some tomato products, you need to use more discretion.
Jim in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

I recycle beer.
Think about that for a moment
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:41 PM   #210
Recycles dryer sheets

Liquid hand soap has not resumed its place on grocery shelves as some other things have. However, we've been diluting the house brand 50/50 for years to make a proper solution for the lather dispensers (kids and adults use much less lather than liquid soap - typically just one squirt of lather) and the Dial lather dispensers are good for dozens of refills. The ready-to-use solution for the lather dispensers is diluted 50/50 so why pay them to do that and then pay more for the watered-down product? A 56oz bottle makes enough lather solution to last the two of us about 6 months.

We have cell phones for use as needed but we don't live on them so a $100/year plan from Tracfone works for each of us. Knowing where the free wifi is means we don't need huge amounts of data for the phones.
papaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #211
Recycles dryer sheets

I can tell by the replies that many of us were raised by Great Depression era grandparents and/or parents 😄 They were Old School environmentalists that the young ‘uns could learn from
Sanbenito1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 08:12 PM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by teetee View Post
Stock up shoe glue instead of buying shoes.

This idea is my favorite. This thread has me in stitches.
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #213
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I thought everybody did that!

I have had my nails done just once, back in 1975 (the day before my ex and I got married).

I keep my nails clean, neatly trimmed, and unpolished, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:03 AM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I've seen this at the lap pool too. Suits that are paper thin and completely faded. Uh, it is not good when this happens. If you are a lap swimmer, switch out your suit before it is see thru.

That reminds of a joke I recieved the other day.
Men are such gentlemen, when a women wears a skimpy bikini, being the gentlemen we are, we only look at the covered parts!
Time2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:49 AM   #215

Quote:
Well my bottle costs $8 (i like essie) but I do my own fingernails. I do indulge in a pedicure (or...did, not going now) for two reasons: My eyesight + flexibility are ok, but no longer the ideal combination for getting a good close up look at the little hangnails on my pinky toe, stuff like that.

Also, it's a nice treat, a pampering.

Men should go too - you have all, at least once, stabbed your wife with your big toe nail by accident in bed one night.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:33 AM   #216
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareninthecity View Post
I wash and reuse zip lock bags too - not only for cost savings but so that I am not using as much plastic.
I use intended-for-reuse silicone zip bags, primarily to avoid single-use plastic ending up in the landfill.
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:46 AM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Here's my grandmother's favorite thrifty trick. Never, ever, waste bacon grease. Throw a slice of bread in the pan, soak it up and eat it. Not ready for that? Save the grease and use it on your bread for an afternoon snack.

Part of a great British breakfast is frying both sides of the bread in the bacon grease after the eggs have been cooked. Don't knock it till you've tried it, it's absolutely delicious and comes out crispy.
Pancakes fried up on bacon grease have the lovely crisp edge that they used to have when my mother made them. She used butter or lard.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:59 AM   #218
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
im just here loitering looking for better ideas. I already dilute my soap and I also water down most beverages bc I find them too sweet and too caloric, but it also saves money.
I dilute my cola with rum. Somehow I haven't found that save me much money. But, it does cut down the sweetness.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:08 AM   #219
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
When my colleagues were giving me odd looks for washing and reusing my plastic silverware, their tune changed when I said “I hate to see it go into the landfill”. In actuality I was just being frugal. .
I've found that many money saving habits are also environmentally good. I mean actually good, not feel-good, virtue signaling.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #220
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Isopropyl alcohol, or even hydrogen peroxide, work great. I found this out when we forgot to buy stick deodorant. I figured germs cause odor, so disinfectants should keep it away. And, in a pinch, they do! No good as anti-perspirants, unfortunately.
Soap and a washcloth work great. The trick is to scrub well so as to disrupt the bacteria colony that forms in those places.