Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #221
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I dilute my cola with rum. Somehow I haven't found that save me much money. But, it does cut down the sweetness.
+10 I'll drink to that, it's the only way to drink cola. And with a squirt of lime juice, too.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #222
Recycles dryer sheets

I often get multiple uses out of paper towels/napkins, foil, paper bags, and plastic bags....but I do it because Americans are the biggest producers of waste on the planet. It's not much, but I figure every little bit held back from the trash has to help somewhat.

Thankfully our garbage companies compost for us so we just add the food scraps to the garden trimmings once a week. Sadly, landfills are filling up fast everywhere and the closure of Chinese recycling plants means that a lot of collected plastic and cardboard is just dumped by recycling companies into landfill.

I make broth, but that's because I love to cook. There is nothing better than homemade stock. Commercial ones are way too high in sodium.

My spouse is the more thrifty one. He compares prices on websites, and hunts for bargains on eBay.

I don't usually bother. When we were doing our regular driving trips all over the region, I did practice thrift in selecting hotels. We don't golf, play tennis, use spas, or give a darn about room service - all we need is a decent bed, clean bathroom, and fast Wi-Fi.

We usually looked for Hampton Inn, Best Western Plus, etc. But if we only had a choice between Motel 6 and a Sheraton or Marriott, I went with the latter.

No kids, average expenses, a solid 3-legged stool as spouse has good pension w/benefits, all fully assigned to me should I survive him. Good financial planning approved by our CFP ensures old age expenses will never be a problem for us.

A full 25% of our monthly income is discretionary - since no traveling - so lots of room to cut back if need be. We're spending some $$$$ for work on the house, but we'd have to do most of that anyway. Tucking in some extras keeps the old cottage salable in uncertain RE times. The RE market is hot now, but who knows what might happen?
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

When I see people with 7 figure portfolios crying about the cost of cable tv or streaming services.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:48 PM   #224
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJpop View Post
When I see people with 7 figure portfolios crying about the cost of cable tv or streaming services.
But how do you think those people got the large portfolios? I always say watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #225
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
But how do you think those people got the large portfolios? I always say watch the pennies and the dollars take care of themselves.

+1. The second chapter of The Millionaire Next Door is called, "Frugal Frugal Frugal". For all the neighbors who can't figure out how we retired early in a HCOL area, I can tell they never read this book. Housing is expensive where we are, but other than that a lot of the other expenses are simply lifestyle choices, like shopping at ethnic markets instead of Whole Foods. Rich Roll had a cute video on what you can buy for $25 at stores like Whole Foods for $25 vs. going to an ethnic market (two fancy juice bottles at WF vs. several bags of fresh produce or ~25 pounds of dried rice and beans at the ethnic markets).
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2020 View Post
............... the closure of Chinese recycling plants means that a lot of collected plastic and cardboard is just dumped by recycling companies into landfill.........
I hate to break this to you, but a lot of the Chinese "recycling" was right into the ocean. They took the good stuff out and dumped the unrecyclable stuff. That is how we got plastic floating islands the size of Texas.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #227
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
+1. The second chapter of The Millionaire Next Door is called, "Frugal Frugal Frugal". For all the neighbors who can't figure out how we retired early in a HCOL area, I can tell they never read this book. Housing is expensive where we are, but other than that a lot of the other expenses are simply lifestyle choices, like shopping at ethnic markets instead of Whole Foods. Rich Roll had a cute video on what you can buy for $25 at stores like Whole Foods for $25 vs. going to an ethnic market (two fancy juice bottles at WF vs. several bags of fresh produce or ~25 pounds of dried rice and beans at the ethnic markets).
There comes a point when it is just being ridiculous and cheap. You can rationalize anything. Sorry.
Old 09-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #228

Quote:
There comes a point when it is just being ridiculous and cheap. You can rationalize anything. Sorry.
One man's cheap is another man's smart. I'm not going to pay $200 a month for cable when a quick phone call can negotiate that down to $120. Or $18 a month for my sirius when I can call and get $5.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #229
Administrator

Quote:
So I take it you own Whole Foods then?

If not, why so exercised about where daylatedollarshort shops for food?
Old 09-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I hate to break this to you, but a lot of the Chinese "recycling" was right into the ocean. They took the good stuff out and dumped the unrecyclable stuff. That is how we got plastic floating islands the size of Texas.
And what happens to our discarded electronics that are sent to China and other countries for "recycling" is frightening. Circuit boards are stripped of resellable components then tossed into local streams. Children crouch over fires used to burn the insulation off copper wire, breathing in toxic smoke. Procedures used to grind up plastic and produce sellable plastic pellets are unregulated, exposing workers and the environment to a variety of toxins.

For this and other reasons, DH and I are frugal with electronics. We finally retired our CRT TV four years ago and bought a flat screen. The old TV went on Craigslist for free and found a new home in minutes. In our entire lives DH and I have purchased just two desktop PCs and two laptops. I've always used my workplace laptop at home, and now have the one my manager let me take when I retired last year. Don't have smartphones yet.

O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:59 PM   #231
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
One man's cheap is another man's smart. I'm not going to pay $200 a month for cable when a quick phone call can negotiate that down to $120. Or $18 a month for my sirius when I can call and get $5.
I never said anything about that. I just did exactly that myself.
I am talking about the posts I see where people bemoan the price of Netflix because they had to raise it a couple dollars or how terrible the price is of Directv.
Ever go to a NBA game or any professional sporting event and pay to park and buy something to eat? How about a play in a major city? How about to one dinner in a nice restaurant?
The return on the entertainment dollar is fantastic for cable tv and streaming if you enjoy watching from your couch.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:31 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I don't know what you mean by rationalizing, or what you are sorry about, but I do know that if I have a choice of paying 50 cents a pound for onions or $3 a pound, I like the 50 cents a pound price better. Why pay extra for advertising and overpaid CEO bonus money when I can buy the same onions (and all the other groceries) for a fraction of the price at ethnic and discount stores? And support a local business and keep the dollars we do spend in the local economy. Over the course of a year our grocery budget can be under $4K or over $16K, largely just depending where I shop. If I save $10K a year on groceries over a decade that is $100K in after tax money.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:59 PM   #233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why are you posting on a thread entitled "Thrifty"? Let us thrifty people post on this thread and be "ridiculous and cheap". There are other threads for people who are not thrifty. Sorry.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #234
Full time employment: Posting here.

DW and I both wear tee shirts until they completely wear out. At some point in the life of a tee, it is taken out of the lineup for "outside the house", although some shirts may be used when painting outside or doing dirty work. At a further point in the lifespan, the worn tee becomes quite thin and soft, making it a comfy sleep shirt, until some final trauma like a completely separated neck renders it unwearable. At this point the tee becomes a nice rag for applying wood polish, dusting, etc.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #235
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I don't know what you mean by rationalizing, or what you are sorry about, but I do know that if I have a choice of paying 50 cents a pound for onions or $3 a pound, I like the 50 cents a pound price better. Why pay extra for advertising and overpaid CEO bonus money when I can buy the same onions (and all the other groceries) for a fraction of the price at ethnic and discount stores? And support a local business and keep the dollars we do spend in the local economy. Over the course of a year our grocery budget can be under $4K or over $16K, largely just depending where I shop. If I save $10K a year on groceries over a decade that is $100K in after tax money.
I never said anything about grocery shopping. I have nothing against shopping smart and saving money which is what I do.
I guess it just bugs me when I hear some multi-millionaires talking about prices for Netflix and others in the way that they do. That’s it.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:18 PM   #236
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
........I guess it just bugs me when I hear some multi-millionaires talking about prices for Netflix and others in the way that they do. That’s it.
I think the "pet peeves" thread is calling you.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:31 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

I don't have anything. I mean I don't scrimp on anything. In 25 years (age 90) I'm gonna be dead. Probably.

I plan on enjoying!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:34 PM   #238
Administrator

Quote:
I never said anything about grocery shopping. I have nothing against shopping smart and saving money which is what I do.
I guess it just bugs me when I hear some multi-millionaires talking about prices for Netflix and others in the way that they do. That’s it.
You may not have intended to, but when you directly quote someone, it is assumed that you are responding to their specific post. So most people, including me, assumed you had some issue with daylatedollarshort's grocery choices. If you just want to make a general comment about the topic, it is better to use the "post reply" button instead of the "quote" button.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #239
Recycles dryer sheets

In our house, leftover bacon grease is used for making popcorn.
ImaCheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaCheesehead View Post
In our house, leftover bacon grease is used for making popcorn.
That sounds amazing, what a great idea, yum!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote