Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
... I was just trying to understand what investment details people wish to track in spreadsheets that do not originate with the broker. ....
While most of my investments are with Vanguard, I also have Fidelity HSA, an online savings account, a whole-life policy and a tIRA bank CD.... and I want to look at my actual AA vs my target AA across all those accounts combined and to my knowledge, neither Vanguard nor Fidelity are set up to do that. I track all of these in Quicken (most transactions are uploaded when I do a One-Step Update for me to review and accept)... run a Portfolio Value by Account report... copy and paste it into a worksheet in Excel and then another worksheet draws drom that data and does a comprehensive analysis of actual AA vs target AA. Yet another sheet calculates YTD return and a couple other metrics.

With Excel, I can also categorize money as I want for AA purposes. For example, I have a small preferred stock portfolio that is about 8% of my portfolio that I consider as a bond equivalent... Fidelity considers it to be a stock. Another example would be I have some money temporarily parked in VMMXX earning 2.47%, the same as a 2-year CD.... waiting for a place to go that I view as a bond-equivalent rather than cash, so I can reflect that nuance in my AA vs target.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty700 View Post
@copyright1997reloaded, you are correct. I just picked up my order from Walmart (great experience, BTW). The box contained a CD and an activation code. The instructions indicate that you can either use the enclosed CD or download the latest.
Ah... I had held off because my current laptop doesn't have a CD drive... but from what you say it sounds like i could buy it and then download it from Quicken's website and use the activation code that comes with the CD.... right?

Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
While most of my investments are with Vanguard, I also have Fidelity HSA, an online savings account, a whole-life policy and a tIRA bank CD.... and I want to look at my actual AA vs my target AA across all those accounts combined and to my knowledge, neither Vanguard nor Fidelity are set up to do that. I track all of these in Quicken (most transactions are uploaded when I do a One-Step Update for me to review and accept)... run a Portfolio Value by Account report... copy and paste it into a worksheet in Excel and then another worksheet draws drom that data and does a comprehensive analysis of actual AA vs target AA. Yet another sheet calculates YTD return and a couple other metrics.

With Excel, I can also categorize money as I want for AA purposes. For example, I have a small preferred stock portfolio that is about 8% of my portfolio that I consider as a bond equivalent... Fidelity considers it to be a stock. Another example would be I have some money temporarily parked in VMMXX earning 2.47%, the same as a 2-year CD.... waiting for a place to go that I view as a bond-equivalent rather than cash, so I can reflect that nuance in my AA vs target.
It is interesting to learn how others do things.

But also interesting that quicken also does not provide anything useful to you for AA. You are mainly using it to track total value, then exporting to Excel for analysis.

I also have investments a few places. Most with Etrade but also Schwab which will soon be combined with Etrade. I also have an HSA with TDA and cash and CDs at banks.

But I do just what you do. I just download from reports at the broker into excel for analysis.

Also, they ALL have AA analysis, which is useful for me on an interim basis. And NONE of them analyze my funds correctly in my view.

But it is close enough absent a huge market move. My main issue is not letting total equity exposure get out of bounds. But since I am mostly in individual issues and I take profits from time to time, that has not been too much of an issue to date.

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you do it. Very helpful.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:10 PM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Ah... I had held off because my current laptop doesn't have a CD drive... but from what you say it sounds like i could buy it and then download it from Quicken's website and use the activation code that comes with the CD.... right?
Exactly. Download it, then use the activation code in the box.
Smitty700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Thank you!

Old 05-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I quit using Quicken at the end of 2017 after 18 years of usage. I use two Excel spreadsheets, one for investment/projection and another for expenses. I download csv transactions from my bank and cut and paste. I assign categories then use Pivot table/Chart functions to slice and dice when I feel like it. The trigger to quit Quicken was when my Quicken data file got corrupted after a program update. I had backups but restoring and updating them seemed too much trouble. I can forecast future spending just fine. Usually have routine expenses forecast out a couple of years in the future. Happy with my setup.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #87
Dryer sheet wannabe

Question: I am using Quicken 2016 Premiere, I don't really need the extra functionality of Premiere. I see some reasonably priced 2018 Deluxe 2 year term deals on Ebay. Do you anticipate any issues upgrading?

Thanks
yomama604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:15 AM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama604 View Post
Question: I am using Quicken 2016 Premiere, I don't really need the extra functionality of Premiere. I see some reasonably priced 2018 Deluxe 2 year term deals on Ebay. Do you anticipate any issues upgrading?
Upgrading to the current Deluxe version from an older Premier version should be no problem. The file formats are the same.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:53 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

I'm bumpng this thread because I had something happen with my Quicken Quotes download today that has never happened before as I recall and caused a brief moment of panic.

The price for VTIAX, Vanguard International Stock Fund, downloaded incorrectly. Rather than $29.14, it downloaded as $23.19 which happens to be yesterdays closing price for VTABX, Vanguard International Bond Fund.

I don't recall that ever happening before. As a result, my totalwas significantly different from what it was the last time I checked... enough to cause a brief panic attack (just kidding).

Has this happened for anyone else?

Old 12-11-2019, 07:34 AM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm bumpng this thread because I had something happen with my Quicken Quotes download today that has never happened before as I recall and caused a brief moment of panic.

The price for VTIAX, Vanguard International Stock Fund, downloaded incorrectly. Rather than $29.14, it downloaded as $23.19 which happens to be yesterdays closing price for VTABX, Vanguard International Bond Fund.

I don't recall that ever happening before. As a result, my totalwas significantly different from what it was the last time I checked... enough to cause a brief panic attack (just kidding).

I don't recall incorrect downloaded prices, but I have seen prices updated to a bad value when I screw up a transaction, such as if I entered a reinvestment of a dividend incorrectly. Quicken sets that incorrect calculated share price as the price that day. That's caused me to clench a time or two.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:18 AM   #91
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I’ve seen it on other platforms as well. That’s why I confirm balances on other apps and check recent cap gains distributions before panicking.

Let Quicken know. They have fixed small bugs I reported in the mobile App.

I wish this bug below on my investment balance was real though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3337024E-86F9-4552-B3CE-2F763B5C6EC0.jpg (151.3 KB, 26 views)
DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #92
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't see this specific issue yesterday, but last time I saw something similar the price was reported erroneously on Yahoo Finance and Marketwatch as well, so I concluded it was probably an error in a common data feed coming from one of the markets. It corrected itself by the next day.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I suspect that it will correct itself... it was just an interesting coincidence that it was the same price as VTABX.