What is the best FIRE Podcast out there?

SpencerM

Recycles dryer sheets
Having wasted a fair amount of time previewing podcasts about FIRE and Retirement lifestyle issues, I have found most to be either far too basic, or (most typically) really selling something or someones newsletter, etc.
Anyone have any suggestions for something meaningful that is worth our time?

SM

I'm guessing that the answer is "No".

Podcasts require more effort than a written blog post, and the PF bloggers who do podcasts are generally seeking revenue for their efforts. This may be an area of Internet info where you get what you pay for.

The only FIRE-related podcast I know of was this board's creator (Dory36) doing an audio interview with Bob Clyatt in his 2nd edition of "Work Less Live More". It was part of the "free" CD included with the book.

Have you tried podcasts of radio shows, whether they're broadcast or over the Internet?

Hey, Nords, is there a way to get that podcast if you have a first edition?

I didn't promise that you would find your golden key with their offerings (which are in the 100s) but "Political"? The only radio stations that broadcast speeches that I know of are NPR type. Is that bad?

Almost are presenters leading Silicon Valley/National professionals or business people. They have a world view such as "India and China in the World Economy and Why That Matters"; General Stéphane Abrial, NATO Strategic Command: Defense in an Age of Austerity (upcoming); Shannon Brownlee: Avoiding Unnecessary Medical Treatment (recent subject on this board in response to Nord's concerns); there are a couple on managing longevity issues, several on bio science, I recall one discussing factors venture capital firms look for when considering funding.

The "Buckets" financial planner wants to sell his products, there is the 'get out of debt guru. Otherwise you may need to go to your local library to see if there are financial books on CDs, or read a book.

The only radio stations that broadcast speeches that I know of are NPR type. Is that bad?

Brat, yes it is bad, lots of opinions leaning way left. But thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

Looking for pure financial without the politics, like much of the ER Forum!

Brat, yes it is bad, lots of opinions leaning way left. But thanks anyway for taking the time to respond.

I like left. :D INTJ. Lefthanded. Born in SW Washington.

Need I say more. :LOL: ;)

heh heh heh - Thanks for the link Brat. :cool:

Not exactly financial, but I used to like listening to podcasts of the Dave Ramsey show at the gym. "I'M DEBT FREE!" injects quite a bit of energy into one's workout.

Vanguard has some financial podcasts. They aren't as energetic, though. :D

Also not totally on point but I sometimes enjoy Clark Howard's podcasts (and they are free). Don't always agree with Clark, but do a lot of the time.

Having wasted a fair amount of time previewing podcasts about FIRE and Retirement lifestyle issues, I have found most to be either far too basic, or (most typically) really selling something or someones newsletter, etc.

SM

Nothing to do with ER, but these are the best podcasts ever if you have an inquiring mind. They kept me company on a long bike ride in Iceland.

BBC - Podcasts - In Our Time With Melvyn Bragg

The BBC have plenty of podcasts about financial stuff.
BBC - Podcasts

NPR's Planet Money is a lot of fun as well, although not about retirement I always learn something:
NPR: Planet Money Podcast : NPR Podcasts

I also listen regularly to "Morning Ireland" from RTE Radio 1 because it regularly covers the European countries in a way that the US sort of glosses over.

I have never thought of ER planning as a political matter. Whatever our political values we must earn more than we spend and invest the remainder. How to invest to achieve the greatest return is well discussed in financial books. The major risk is the unexpected. There are always risks, a wise person sets aside reserves to address known risks.

Podcasts such as those offerd by the Commonwealth Club offer insight as to what may be comming our way technologicaly and the choices that must be made economically. I find them interesting and many of their presenters fascinating. I am enough 'in' to know that there is a human element to much that happens but their focus is on the future.

There are those who derisively referr to the west coast as the 'left coast'. All I can say is that business within 500 miles of the Pacific Ocean is driving much of our economy. Forget the politics, look at results. We need to invest in our technology and creative minds. If we don't there are graduates IIT who will eat our lunch. Unlike the Chinese they are creative, many Indian technology leaders graduated from American universities. Not only that but their inventors focus on what is needed in the developing world.

Sorry folks, but the universe is not flat and it does not revolve around the Earth, let alone the USA.

The BBC have plenty of podcasts about financial stuff.
BBC - Podcasts

NPR's Planet Money is a lot of fun as well, although not about retirement I always learn something:
NPR: Planet Money Podcast : NPR Podcasts

I also listen regularly to "Morning Ireland" from RTE Radio 1 because it regularly covers the European countries in a way that the US sort of glosses over.

The BBC money programs are obviously geared towards a UK audience and the investing/retirement environment over there is completely different. The default for pension income is to buy an annuity and very few people use brokers or actively buy individual mutual funds to construct a portfolio so there's no concept of asset allocation in the general public.

Do you like Bob Brinker? He is on AM radio Sat and Sun but you can get his 3 hour shows without most of the ads for $4.95 a month. He does sell his newsletter though.
Hope it helps,
Liz

Not exactly financial, but I used to like listening to podcasts of the Dave Ramsey show at the gym. "I'M DEBT FREE!" injects quite a bit of energy into one's workout.

:D

That's funny -- I listen to Dave Ramsey at the gym, too! I don't agree with most of his politics or the particular worldview that they are rooted in, but I totally love the "get yourself out of debt and start living a real life" message. And even though we have never had debt, I find those "we're debt free!" calls to be really inspiring. Makes me feel like there is hope for people out there, and our country, when you hear the stories of how people have turned around their financial fate.

I also really like Planet Money. Marketplace is good, too, for basic finance and economic news.

Maybe somebody needs to start an ER-oriented podcast. Seems like there might be a market for it.

Maybe somebody needs to start an ER-oriented podcast. Seems like there might be a market for it.
Lemme get this straight: a "podcast" consists of someone reading a blog post's transcript into a microphone to make it an audio file that someone else eventually downloads and listens to.

Is that it?

How much are people willing to pay for this?

Serious question, because I can pass this over to a private forum of personal-finance bloggers who are trying to make a living at it.

I don't know about any specifically FIRE related podcasts, but I listen to and love
Freakonomics, The Economist, Brian Preston's "Money Guy", and NPR + WSJ daily podcasts, which are mostly about money.

Lemme get this straight: a "podcast" consists of someone reading a blog post's transcript into a microphone to make it an audio file that someone else eventually downloads and listens to.

Is that it?

How much are people willing to pay for this?

Serious question, because I can pass this over to a private forum of personal-finance bloggers who are trying to make a living at it.
Sometimes the delivery method matters. I can easily listen to an audio/podcast, but I can't easily read a blog while I'm on an elliptical trainer at the gym. :cool:

Actually, I think podcasts are more frequently like radio shows, but in a saved format. Many of the ones I listen to ARE originally aired as radio broadcasts (Dave Ramsey, Planet Money, Marketplace). I personally probably wouldn't be all that interested in just listening to someone read their blog posts, especially if it is something I read already. But good discussion and interviews that supplement the blog would be nice.

Actually, JD Roth of Get Rich Slowly and Jim somebody of another blog were doing a podcast about a year ago. It was kind of painful to listen to most of the time, but I stuck with them because I really like JD's blog. They ended it without comment, but anyone interested in this idea would be wise to talk with them about their experience. I am not sure how you marketize something like this. I think you would need to have a pretty good and professional "on air" presence in order to build numbers.

That being said, I would LOVE a podcast that had interviews with people who were ER-ed or SER-ed talking about how they got there and how they stay there, along with tips from relevant professionals. Kind of like this forum, but in audio version. Or Dave Ramsey without the political/social commentary. Again, whether or not it is something that can be monetized is a question. I wouldn't pay for it. I'm too cheap.

lhamo

Sometimes the delivery method matters. I can easily listen to an audio/podcast, but I can't easily read a blog while I'm on an elliptical trainer at the gym. :cool:
Actually, I think podcasts are more frequently like radio shows, but in a saved format. Many of the ones I listen to ARE originally aired as radio broadcasts (Dave Ramsey, Planet Money, Marketplace). I personally probably wouldn't be all that interested in just listening to someone read their blog posts, especially if it is something I read already. But good discussion and interviews that supplement the blog would be nice.
Actually, JD Roth of Get Rich Slowly and Jim somebody of another blog were doing a podcast about a year ago. It was kind of painful to listen to most of the time, but I stuck with them because I really like JD's blog. They ended it without comment, but anyone interested in this idea would be wise to talk with them about their experience. I am not sure how you marketize something like this. I think you would need to have a pretty good and professional "on air" presence in order to build numbers.
That being said, I would LOVE a podcast that had interviews with people who were ER-ed or SER-ed talking about how they got there and how they stay there, along with tips from relevant professionals. Kind of like this forum, but in audio version. Or Dave Ramsey without the political/social commentary. Again, whether or not it is something that can be monetized is a question. I wouldn't pay for it. I'm too cheap.
Well, I'm a guy with a radio voice and the interviewing experience to make it happen.

I could make audio recordings of my blog posts (which sounds boring even to me) or do interviews. It'd be great to collect ER stories from the board for a podcast archive.

Lemme take it up with the PF & mil-bloggers.

I don't know about any specifically FIRE related podcasts, but I listen to and love
Freakonomics, The Economist, Brian Preston's "Money Guy", and NPR + WSJ daily podcasts, which are mostly about money.

This list is very similar to what I listen to. To these I would add "Marketplace" and "Marketplace Money." The former is a daily business broadcast (about a half hour) recapping the day's business activity along with other pieces of interest. The other is a weekly personal finance show, on weekends, about an hour. Marketplace Money may be a little basic for some on this board who have seized the financial bull by the horns to achieve FIRE, but I still find it interesting. These are both on NPR, so those with an aversion to it will miss out.

I'm anxious to try out PaddyMac's suggestion about RTE's "Morning Ireland" as I am a big fan of everything Irish - just downloaded today's podcasts and will take to the gym this morning.

The great benefit of hindsight being what it was - in my case - the most progress I made toward ER occurred when I ignored books, and financial media of all sorts. Watched football, stayed the course, auto invested and didn't watch the market.

When layed off at 49 -took what I had, cut expenses to make it fit and the rest is history.

heh heh heh - of course learning dryer sheet science here helped and I still watch football. Saints lost last weekend. Drat! :( But I'm still ER'd ;).

Back
Top Bottom