What is the cheapest, relatively good drinkable wine?

People who drink wine very sparingly might be better off with wine in a box. Because of the packaging, wine in a box is likely to stay fresh for a longer period of time than wine in a bottle (the wine is usually in a vacuum-packed foil pouch which doesn't oxidize much when "opened" compared to an opened bottle of wine, and oxidation is an enemy of wine preservation.

Sparingly? Surely you gest.
img_763796_0_0ff25d720d269205de68fc80b5a9b3e4.gif

Franzia Chillable Red ... 5 liter box ~$9.00 at Sam's or Walmart.:)

There is a 5 liter box but I've never seen it at Sam's, Walmart or Costco. My daughter gets the 5 liter boxes at McDill Air Force Base. That's the only place I've seen it around here. The boxed brands are getting more popular because you can sit them on the shelf in the fridge and open the spigot. Quite handy.

The challenge with the boxes is the drip, drip,drip from the spout.

Also, the bottle is a kind of natural limit. It only holds so much, whereas the box.....

We like Lindeman Chard....small bottle $5 and change...big bottle $10 at your local big box retailer. It's the house wine at Outback and is better than wines that are 2-4 bucks more IOHO.

During the past year or so our closest supermarket expanded their wine selection by a rather large amount (3X) and ever since that time they have maneged to have a different wine or wines on sale at prices ranging between $10-$5. We always pick up a bottle of whatever is on sale. I realize that this is akin to letting someone else select your beverage but we have yet to be disappointed in the character and taste of each weekly selection. This has give us an exposure to many different wine labels that we otherwise may not have sampled at all. More is better.

PArticularly when camping (and space is at a premium) we buy 3 liter boxes of wine. Of the cheaper ones, I think the Banrock Station wines are probably the best bang for the buck. Generally under $20 for the equivalent of 4 bottles. We like the Chard and the Shiraz the best.

Forestville Merlot or Cabernet is usually $3.50 at Safeway. Buy six and you get 10% off, so $3.15.

We specialize in $5 wines. Sometimes we'll splurge and go for a $7 bottle. This Christmas we're trying out a $14 Cabernet. Yowzah!

Here are our faves:

Viogner: Honeymoon (a Trader Joe's label, $4.99/bottle here)
Table Red: Prosperity Red (a cab/merlot blend, $6/ bottle here)
Bubbly: Korbel blanc de noir (about $8 / bottle)

In the $14 range, we've been pleased with the Castoro Cellars Paso Robles Zinfandel.

La Ferme Julien rouge at traders joe's is pretty good for a table red
it's about 5.00 a bottle

I'm going to try them all except the box wines, I think. It took me a long while to be reconciled to the screw tops- so I will draw the line there- I think one has to maintain a little snob appeal about SOMETHING.

I'm going to try them all except the box wines, I think. It took me a long while to be reconciled to the screw tops- so I will draw the line there- I think one has to maintain a little snob appeal about SOMETHING.

I agree! Only the best screw tops for me.
img_763992_0_8baddf207a7ea31cb7dd2a170ed92512.jpg

I was skeptical about screw tops too. However, on a winery tour where they didn't use screw tops I asked about them. The tour guide said the new screw tops were better than corks but there is a reluctance to use them by American wineries because of the perception of poor quality. They seal better when new and can reliably reseal if one ever did that.

We like Oak Vineyanrds (~$4) and Fisheye Chardonnay (~$5). I can't remember the reds I like and I'm too lazy to go look -- maybe later. I've never met a malbec I didn't like. There are some good $6 ones out there. I'm using Texas prices. Some places (like Missouri) are about the same and some states are much higher. It's a tax issue mostly.

We get Two Buck Chuck. That's the only kind we get.... by the case.

tmm

Columbia Crest...white or red. NOT the special edition. My wife swears by it, and really likes the white. Sticking up for a WA wine here....$7.50 where I get it.

i don't know wines and hardly ever drink them as they make me sleepy but years ago i used to enjoy a zinfandel from sutter home. very cheap, supermarket stuff that sounds like a condominium developer but i thought it was pretty good. certainly better than the boonesfarm i guzzled in youth.

i don't know wines and hardly ever drink them as they make me sleepy but years ago i used to enjoy a zinfandel from sutter home. very cheap, supermarket stuff that sounds like a condominium developer but i thought it was pretty good. certainly better than the boonesfarm i guzzled in youth.

Bali Hai
Ripple
?

Here are some of my favorites, under $10 . . .

Red:
"Marco Real" - Tempranillo/Narvara (Spain) . . . . $7.99
"Ona" - Carbernet Sauvignon (Chile) . . . $8.99
"Panarroz" - ?? - (Spain) . . . $6.49
"Makepeace" - Shiraz (Australia) . . . . $5.99
"Castle Rock" - Cabernet Sauvingnon (California) . . . . $7.99
"1919" - Syrah (Argentina) . . . $8.99
"Milton Clark" - Shiraz (Australia) . . . $7.99
"Chateau Guillaumette - Bordeaux (France) . . . $10.99

White:
"No" - Sauvignon Blanc . . . $8.99
"1919" - Chardonnay (Argentina) . . . . $8.99
"Huntington" - Chardonnay (California) . . . $12.99 (more than $10 but if you like "French Style" unoaked chardonnay's this one kicks @$$ for $13
"Masterpeace" - Chardonnay (Australia) . . . $5.99
"Campagnola" - Pinot Grigio (Italy) . . . .$7.99

Another thought: If you live near a heavily ethnic neighborhood that is from a wine-producing place, go look at what is in the local liquor stores. I live near a heavily Portuguese area and when I pop into certain stores I know that I can buy really nice Portuguese wines (that I may never have heard of before) for very little money. One of the better scores thus far was a 1 liter bottle of a really lovely red for $5.

I recently started buying boxed wines - a 5 liter box of Franzia goes for about $13, and it's not bad stuff.

But I still can't get over the feeling that I should be wearing a disguise when I walk past aisles and aisles of fine wines and head straight for the boxed wines at the back of the store. :angel:

I go with the liquor store guy's recommendation for a good wine (he even asked me how the steak would be cooked before making a recommendation once) and then get whatever cheapie is on sale for the second bottle as my tastebuds are good only for the first glass.

I recently started buying boxed wines - a 5 liter box of Franzia goes for about $13, and it's not bad stuff.

But I still can't get over the feeling that I should be wearing a disguise when I walk past aisles and aisles of fine wines and head straight for the boxed wines at the back of the store. :angel:

You'll get over it.
;)

You should be. If I decide to try the boxed wines I will wear a disguise when I buy it, maybe even when I drink it to fool myself that I am really not doing it.

Vinturi Wine Aerator

Anyone try one of these?

I was thinking if it works; maybe just opening the bottle and shaking it a bit might work also.

You should be. If I decide to try the boxed wines I will wear a disguise when I buy it, maybe even when I drink it to fool myself that I am really not doing it.
Well, put your disguise on, and give it a try - you might be pleasantly surprised!

Back
Top Bottom