Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What is the real return? - Sources Differ
Old 08-10-2022, 02:06 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is the real return? - Sources Differ

I was looking at a few stock and bond funds, and noticed the posted returns didn't match from one source to another. Initially I was looking at the "1 year" returns, but wasn't sure if that was all of a previous year, or July of last year till July of this year. So I decided to compare YTD returns instead. Here are a few examples of what I found:

VFIAX - YTD

Vanguard shows -12.71% on the fund page, but 12.60% in the summary section.

Google shows -19.98% under YTD, but -13.93% when YTD is selected for the graph.

Portfolio Visualizer shows -12.60%

VTAPX - YTD

Vanguard shows -.59% on the fund page, but .36% in the summary.

Google shows -1.43% under YTD, but -2.91% in the YTD graph.

Portfolio Visualizer shows .36%

VUSUX - YTD

Vanguard shows -18.62% on the fund page,but -18.91% in the summary

Google shows -20.99% under YTD, but -17.87% in the YTD graph

Portfolio Visualizer shows -18.91%

Google seems to be way off on the return values. Portfolio Visualizer at least agrees with the summary value on the Vanguard fund page, which makes me believe it a bit more. On the other hand, other sites like Morningstar agree with the return value on Vanguard's fund page.

They all seem so inconsistent that it's hard to know who to believe.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 07:19 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quite often, the discrepancy is caused by not including dividends.

And when asked for YTD, some count from the closing price of the 1st trading day of the year. I prefer to use the price on 12/31 of the last year. The gain/loss of the 1st trading day of the year belongs to the current year, agree?

For example, consider VUSUX:

Quote:
Vanguard shows -18.62% on the fund page,but -18.91% in the summary

Google shows -20.99% under YTD, but -17.87% in the YTD graph

Portfolio Visualizer shows -18.91%...
On 12/31, Yahoo Finance shows the price as 12.78. Today's 8/10 close price is 10.19.

That's -20.26% YTD. How about dividends?

There have been 7 dividend payouts worth 0.128. Now, here's a complication. If the dividend is reinvested, you will have less than 0.128 at this point because the fund has been dropping mostly. You buy low, and it goes lower. To be accurate, the price at each of the 7 dividend reinvests has to be accounted for.

Too much work, so let's see what happens if we take it in cash. Our total value is then 10.19+0.128 = 10.318. Then, the YTD return is -19.26%.

Hmmm... Does not come close to any of the above numbers.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote