Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What is the worst financial advice you have received?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is the worst financial advice you have received?

What is the worst financial advice you have ever received, whether it be a friend, family member, or professional?

When I started working and saving for retirement, a lady who worked in a bank advised me to never put money into anything that was not FDIC insured. Coincidentally, she just happened to be in the business of selling US Treasury bonds and treasuries.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Buy Microsoft. It's a money pump.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Probably from my dad.

1. Never save more than 17.5% of your income or the government will take the rest (not sure where that came from)
2. Never give up your mortgage because you can always use the tax break
iam21177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

Buy gold! It can only go up.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

advice from a trusted manager at one of my former companies.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

A close friend of mine who retired from a major oil company a few years ago gave me his FA's name and phone number to call and inquire about a variable annuity he purchased. Said it was "guaranteed to never pay less than 6% even if the market tanks".
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

"You should invest in a variable annuity in your IRA" - Ameriprise financial advisor.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

Buying 'penny stocks' off the 'pink sheets'. One hot tip went up 50+%, then suddenly crashed on news of accounting irregularities. Trading was halted for a time and I had to sell out at 95% loss. Painful lesson indeed
Fortunately that was decades ago and the $$ involved was small.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #9

Buy high, sell low.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Don't contribute to the company pension. I waited 10 years to contribute and it costs me about $20K per year now.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:59 AM   #11

"Don't cancel your cash-value life insurance policy and put the proceeds into no-load equity mutual-funds" (early 1990s).

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

The only meaningful financial advice I've ever been given comes from books on personal finance. I judge that there was more good than bad in all of the books I've read, but there certainly was a lot of bad in the worst of them. The first, and probably worst, financial book I read was by Venita Van Caspel. She mixed sound, sensible investment advice with some really peculiar personal biases. She loved stocks, but hated bonds and openingly ridiculed clients who kept money in a cash reserve. So from that perspective she was advocating that everyone have a 100% all stock portfolio. But she also believed in paying the overhead of hiring a professional market timing service to "protect" one's portfolio against adverse market conditions. So a literal interpretation of what she wrote is that you're an idiot if you're not 100% invested in the stock market, unless of course you should be 100% on the sidelines in cash. In her world, balanced portfolios and diversification were for wimps.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

In my 20's, the mantra was "You gotta buy a house as soon as possible. They aren't making any more land! Houses only go up in value!" Worst advice I ever went without comforts for years and years to heed.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #14

Almost anyone can beat index funds- just buy the latest (hot) stock.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
Administrator

1) You have to buy a home, paying rent is throwing away money. The pressure from family and coworkers to buy was intense, whichj thankfully we resisted.

2) It doesn't make sense to save when inflation is high. Inflation hurts, but I always saw this as mostly a rationalization to spend and consume.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #16

Oh - here's another:
You need to be out of the market when you retire. You should have your money secure in CDs and government bonds.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Lucent Technologies
Old 06-16-2014, 12:06 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't invest in 529 plans and sell all you've - Friend and a Relative who thought I was nuts in putting money away in 529.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Back in my early 20's a broker friend of one of my brothers convinced me to buy a "can't miss stock whose price is sue to double in 6 months". After six months I had lost 75% of my fortunately small investment. When I decided to close out he then tried to convince me of another "sure to double in six months" stock. When he started including statements like "stocks do well when an NFC team wins the Super Bowl", I knew I had to run far, far way from him. I chalk up my loss as "tuition" to start learning about stock investing.

When 401Ks became available at Megacorp, I listened to my peers and didn't invest right away, due to comments such as "the money isn't going to be worth all that much 30 years from now" and "you have a pension, you don't need a 401K". It took a couple of older co-workers bugging me daily for a more than a year before I opened one.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Invest with xyz mutal fund, there so good you'll make up the 5% front end load in no time.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote