What is your action vs Market Fall?

VFK57

Full time employment: Posting here.
Of course there are two actions to take:
1. Sell as soon as you see the Fall begins, wait until the Market stabilizes and buy in again.
2. Seat tight, do not sell or buy, having enough cash to wait until the storm is over.
Personally I prefer to seat tight, especially on Dividend paying stocks as it is part of income. However there is possibility to make much larger amount if selling when they are still in plus and repurchasing when stocks went to the bottom or so.

# 2 but I'll have to sell a little bit by month's end to live on. I try not to get excited either way (up or down)>

Of course there are two actions to take:
1. Sell as soon as you see the Fall begins, wait until the Market stabilizes and buy in again.

And how does one know when the market has finally stabilized? Bear markets seldom go down, Down and DOWN without a few upsides to lure in more prey for the Bear.

Stay the course, keep your AA in mind, ignore the financial press and have some fun.

I had some cash sitting around today, so just put in a small buy order on Total Stock Market. Not enough to swing anything, but I like the discount (regardless of what happens tomorrow, or next week/month etc).

And how does one know when the market has finally stabilized? Bear markets seldom go down, Down and DOWN without a few upsides to lure in more prey for the Bear.

When Market starts to go up, slowly or rapidly but not on daily base (not just like volatility). Sometimes it takes a few days if it was just correction, sometimes it takes a few years when more fundamental problems with economy is obvious or a trade war on the horizon.

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned numerous times, I rebalanced to my AA on the way up by selling stocks and buying bonds. I'll be rebalancing to my AA on the way down by selling bonds and buying stocks, although I have to wait until February 24th because of Vanguard's short term trading policies.

In the meantime I'm going to the store to buy some eggs and sugar to make some banana bread.

What do they say? To time the market, you have to get it right twice - at the peak and at the valley.

I did our ROTH conversion (OK, half now, half at year end) - it kicks in at end of day. I was distracted at the start of January and didn't do it then. So now I get a nice do-over.

Thanks to all the panic sellers out there (I doubt many/any from this forum). Seriously.

I'm sitting tight. Really, the amount of the portfolio affected is a couple of percentage points, well within the range of normal variation so it's nothing to get excited about.

I bought a little this afternoon. My equity allocation was kind of low anyway, so it was more or less rebalancing but at good prices.

I'm in the 3rd boat: tighten belt to live off 75% of pension and start sticking the other 25% in. Economy Plus not Business Class tickets. So yes it affects my day-to-day life but I'm still traveling, donating, Starbucks, just sticking to middle income expenditures :(

Last edited:
I doubt I am anywhere near a re-balance point.

Been short the market for 25% of my portfolio and have been wrong for 3-4 years now, less wrong today but still wrong overall. I am one of the few smiling today but only briefly.

Will rebalance back to my bands in T IRA, so no hard selling decisions to make. Only retired last year, but have read enough from this forum plus other articles to know not to panic.

Did it hit 10% down from the peak during intraday?

People say a correction was long overdue and it's "healthy" to have one.

But to drop 10% in just two trading sessions?

I'm getting ready for the inevitable calls from 2 folks. BIL - who is always convinced the market is too risky - but loves his annuities. And former coworker who has been on the sidelines for a few years - who might... just might... use this opportunity to get back in the market.

But other than that I'm taking option 2. No need to do anything.

Easy come, easy go. We're back down to values of about, what, 5 or 6 weeks ago, so I'm not doing anything differently than I did then.

Sitting back. I've already done my action for the year on Jan 2 which was rebalanced.

Nothing. The companies Im invested in are still making money, they are still putting out reports where they are beating estimates and raising forward guidance. Thats all I care about. And the dividends.

I might buy some more tomorrow, I do love a good sale.

Back
Top Bottom