What is your age and your AA for your nest egg?

62 and retiring in a few months

65 equity, 30 bond, 5 cash (mostly short term T-bills)

Working towards 55/40/5 and getting to a 2 fund portfolio of Total Stock and Wellesley.

70 me 75 wife. 100% equities (rolled over 4 IRA's into equity trading accounts plus a large single trading account all of which are used for Day Trading. We trade slower using a 3 day cycle for the IRA's and faster (minutes) for the main account, never use margin, and always keep 50% in cash to recover with should a trade go south as happens these days. However, currently, we are at 100% cash awaiting a calming down of the market. In the 14 years of retirement, we haven't touched any of our retirement accounts and they have only doubled since retirement. We live off SS, military, and FERS pensions and only spend around half. We over-planned our retirement and moving to Hungary was the best idea we could possibly have as it is just so much less expensive to live here. Far less than our planning accounted for. We don't need or use any of the funds we saved for retirement which makes it very easy to avoid risk on the market.

At our ages, we will likely never end up using the savings which is a dilemma. We travel as much as possible and when we do we travel 5-star only. Roughly $10k a week for a given trip regardless of how we go. In general, I spend my days working out, gardening, tinkering in my man cave with CAD projects and 3 3D printers, mountain biking, hiking, and sailing on my smallish yacht for at least 3 hours a day, every day. My wife is a highly awarded semi-pro photographer and spends her time doing still life when not shooting landscapes or people. I also have several drones I fly for her to get aerial photographs an short videos for myself. We keep very busy. I also read a novel every 2 days or so.

Age 63 Retired more than 10 years and loving it. AA is 40/20/40. stocks/ bonds LT investments/ real estate. 80% of the real estate are rentals and even our personal homes get rented out on AirBnB or listed on exchange sites when we aren’t using them. Great relatively passive income.that has seen greater appreciation than most other investments while offering some great tax advantages….

70 me 75 wife. 100% equities (rolled over 4 IRA's into equity trading accounts plus a large single trading account all of which are used for Day Trading. We trade slower using a 3 day cycle for the IRA's and faster (minutes) for the main account, never use margin, and always keep 50% in cash to recover with should a trade go south as happens these days. However, currently, we are at 100% cash awaiting a calming down of the market. In the 14 years of retirement, we haven't touched any of our retirement accounts and they have only doubled since retirement. We live off SS, military, and FERS pensions and only spend around half. We over-planned our retirement and moving to Hungary was the best idea we could possibly have as it is just so much less expensive to live here. Far less than our planning accounted for. We don't need or use any of the funds we saved for retirement which makes it very easy to avoid risk on the market.

At our ages, we will likely never end up using the savings which is a dilemma. We travel as much as possible and when we do we travel 5-star only. Roughly $10k a week for a given trip regardless of how we go. In general, I spend my days working out, gardening, tinkering in my man cave with CAD projects and 3 3D printers, mountain biking, hiking, and sailing on my smallish yacht for at least 3 hours a day, every day. My wife is a highly awarded semi-pro photographer and spends her time doing still life when not shooting landscapes or people. I also have several drones I fly for her to get aerial photographs an short videos for myself. We keep very busy. I also read a novel every 2 days or so.

What a great way to live your life in retirement. I always love reading your updates. You’ll have to find some creative way to blow some more of that dough

I am 72 and my wife 74. I retired in 2014. We are both 70% equities, 29% fixed income, and 1% cash. The equities are primarily dividend growth stocks, but my largest holding is the ETF SCHD. The fixed income is in mutual funds, laddered CDs, and laddered T-bills in the taxable accounts. I took social security at 70 and my wife took advantage of a spousal account based on my earnings. We also have two small pensions.

vtsax, vti, voo, & vym this one may change jepi

Curious about vym, when VUSXX, Vanguards Treasury Money Market Fund has a recent 7 day yield of 4.36% vs vym's 2.88% 30 day yield, (sorry, not sure why they don't match time frame). I know, sometimes just takes time to get around to making changes. But anything I'm missing?

67 and 64yrs old. Our brokerage portfolio is 75/3/22 Stock/Bond/Cash. Probably wouldn't have that much cash except I did a large Roth conversion last year and was not comfortable putting it back in the market, seems to have been a mistake. I have about $280k in cash. :blush:

We have other assets of about equal value maybe more, as we have a property I have carried at the same value for the last 11 years, that we will someday liquidate.

Oh no! I like the Pickwick Papers quote from Dickens... I'll have to paraphrase Mr. Micawber...

It's not what you make, it's not what you spend. It's the difference between the two.

The Dickens quote is in the old style british currency and is a bit more opaque than todays decimal currency. But far more elegant.

Or you could go to Richard Pryor's much more crass advice to a young boxer that bankrupted himself with drugs: Don't sniff the principal, snort the interest!

about 160 positions across accounts (with some repeats), 25 of them are ETF's, 11 REITS, 2 currency/debt hedges in silver and gold. 10% in private lending. I try to manage my combined P/E by owning a mix of much riskier than average stocks with a much much less risky dividend payers and steady freddy stocks. My international exposure is around 40%. I always keep a year in cash plus anticipated expenses.

50 years old and 100% equities (mostly VOO and VTI) both in my taxable and retirement accounts

These two (VOO and VTI) charts match each other. Is there any benefit of one over the other?

A lot of suggestions here run together. Not seeing much diversification.

Last edited:
These two (VOO and VTI) charts match each other. Is there any benefit of one over the other?

VOO tracks the S&P 500 whilst VTI tracks the total market.
They tend to move in á highly correlated fashion but aren’t quite the same thing.
If you have access to VTI it is a better proxy for ‘owning the whole market’ but since S&P 500 index funds were a thing before other index funds, you might not have access to VTI or VTSAX in your 401(k) options, in which case VOO or similar is a decent proxy.

48, 92:8 stocks:cash, 50% of expenses covered by rental cash flow.

Back
Top Bottom