Join Early Retirement Today

What is your best money saving tip?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What is your best money saving tip?

I'm sure people have some great tips on here.

Not sure if this is my "greatest" tip but I recently started calling the companies that I pay on a monthly/yearly basis (home insurance, car insurance, internet, phone, etc). I simply tell them how long I've been with the company and ask if there is any way to lower my payments or if there are any current deals for their customers. I'll probably save close to a $1000 this year simply from placing a few calls. Seems like business are really trying to keep their customers and give them a break during these tough economic times. Sometimes you get someone who isn't as friendly so I'll keep the conversation short and call back a couple days later to get someone else.
bank5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bank5 View Post

Not sure if this is my "greatest" tip but I recently started calling the companies that I pay on a monthly/yearly basis (home insurance, car insurance, internet, phone, etc). I simply tell them how long I've been with the company and ask if there is any way to lower my payments or if there are any current deals for their customers. I'll probably save close to a $1000 this year simply from placing a few calls. Seems like business are really trying to keep their customers and give them a break during these tough economic times. Sometimes you get someone who isn't as friendly so I'll keep the conversation short and call back a couple days later to get someone else.
This sounds quite good. Could you give concrete examples of the companies or types of companies you have called and what they did for you?

Ha
Old 03-23-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

That has worked with my cable company the last 2 times for 6months a stretch. We usually get discounted service and hbo+stars for free. I usually call and flat out ask if they are offering discounts to long term subscribers.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I recently discovered that you can put Netflix on hold. I'll be taking 90 days off starting at the end of the week. I'm retired now and am too busy to watch all those movies.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Don't buy anything.
snodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodog View Post
Don't buy anything.
Genius. Why didnt I think of that!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Learn to enjoy life without a lot of stuff -- learn to enjoy the free or nearly free pleasures of life. It's a change of mindset, but if you can accomplish it and don't need a lot of "stuff" to make you happy, there's really no better way to save more of what you earn.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

When you're driving and need to clear the windshield with washer fluid, don't hold down the windshield washer spray lever giving one steady stream, but pulsate it instead in short bursts.

You can save dollars every year if you drive where your windshield gets dirty frequently.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #9

Quote:

If you have the time, go to work on improving your credit score. It's worth a lot of money on your insurance premiums. You should do all three credit bureaus because different companies use different bureaus. I saved over $500/yr on my car insurance alone. Not that I had bad credit, but that my credit score wasn't at the upper level. Insurance co told me why I didn't get their best rate and I went to work correcting that. It was because Trans Union had bad information about me Working with them, I corrected the information and it raised my score to over 900. Went back to Progressive with the information and they lowered my premiums. Well worth the time spent.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Learn to enjoy life without a lot of stuff -- learn to enjoy the free or nearly free pleasures of life. It's a change of mindset, but if you can accomplish it and don't need a lot of "stuff" to make you happy, there's really no better way to save more of what you earn.
Well.....sorta. But we find that doing things and having experiences is more costly than staying home with "stuff." Entertainment, vacations and that sort of thing far surpasses our "stuff buying" expenditures. Just coming down your way for a couple weeks of fishing on Lake LBJ last winter cost me more than a new plasma large screen TV!

Oh yeah, those "free or nearly free pleasures of life," they're OK but seeing Jersey Boys at $90/ticket was sure a lot more enjoyable than sitting on a blanket at the gazebo in our local park listening to the local amateur musicians give a free concert!

I get your point Zig, but I'll have to work on DW if we're going to cut out "stuff" and "experiences."
Old 03-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek View Post
When you're driving and need to clear the windshield with washer fluid, don't hold down the windshield washer spray lever giving one steady stream, but pulsate it instead in short bursts.

You can save dollars every year if you drive where your windshield gets dirty frequently.
I have printed your post and taped it to the dashboard of DW's car!

Heaven help me when she sees it!
Old 03-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

If you're still working, beg, plead and whine to get them to allow you telecommute. Even if it is just one day a week at first, you can save substantial money on gas, mileage on your car and it is less stressful. If you can swing full time telecommuting, like I thankfully have, you can save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a month. If you telecommute full time, you and your significant other, could possibly get by on one car, saving a ton right there. I don't pay for dry cleaning, new clothes, gas, mileage on the car, etc. I realize not everyone can do this, but if there is anyway you can swing it, it is the best advice I have to offer for painlessly saving a lot of money (and stress).
Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snodog View Post
Don't buy anything.
But if you just can't resist and feel you must, at least think twice before buying anything with a handle - it almost always involves work.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #14

I think the best way to save money is not to invest in the stock market when you know it's going to go down.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I have printed your post and taped it to the dashboard of DW's car!

Heaven help me when she sees it!
Likely that more retirements have been destroyed by divorce than by overuse of windshield washer fluids, but I could be wrong.

I just might make a separate categoy in MS Money for Windhield Wiper Fluids. This could be the budget breakthrough I have been seeking.

Ha
Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
I think the best way to save money is not to invest in the stock market when you know it's going to go down.
Well darn!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Likely that more retirements have been destroyed by divorce than by overuse of windshield washer fluids, but I could be wrong.
I think you just might be right. And it hits home.

A week from Saturday marks our 39th yr of wedded bliss. I have been blatantly negligent in providing adequate recognition of past anniversaries. But this year I think I'm going to ignore the concept of "forgetting about your anniversary as a money saving tip" and go ahead and buy something for DW. Now, if I could only think of what........ A gal of window washer fluid? Or, since divorce can be an expensive proposition, perhaps getting her somethng appropriate and nice might actually turn out to be the most "money saving" thing I could do?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I have three tips.

(1) Along the lines of what Ziggy was saying, above: when I have several things in mind that I would like to do in the near future, and do not significantly prefer one to the other, I do the free things first.

Amazing how that lowers costs. You wouldn't think it would, but it does.

(2) An unrelated money-saving tip: In the summer, I keep the thermostat as warm as is comfortable, and wear nearly nothing and drink lots of ice water. In the winter I keep it as cool as is comfortable, and wear warm clothing and sit with a blanket on my lap.

What starts out being only a couple of degrees warmer or colder at first, ends up being a good ten degrees difference by the end of the season because the body acclimates as the season progresses.

To assist me in this, I have my programmable thermostat set with a default of 85 in the summer and 60 in the winter. If I do the manual override to, say, 70 in the winter, it will stay there for a couple of hours and then starts to drift colder. When I notice it is too cold, I manually raise it by just a degree or two.

(3) Another money-saving tip: choose your friends wisely. If your friends are not extravagant, you are less likely to spend money foolishly.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Or, since divorce can be an expensive proposition, perhaps getting her somethng appropriate and nice might actually turn out to be the most "money saving" thing I could do?
How about a huge bouquet of flowers or if you are feeling flush jewelry is always nice ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I just might make a separate categoy in MS Money for Windhield Wiper Fluids. This could be the budget breakthrough I have been seeking.

Ha
Yes we could identify it as your "Washer Fluid Factor" and if you invested this money you too can be rich in 100 years

Then we can sell a lot of books and get rich ourselves

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote