Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Well, there's the academic definition (basically low P/B, with high yield considered a so-so proxy),
From my POV, this doesn't define value; rather it suggests junk. But I understand what you are saying. Historically the Ben Graham definition was first. It followed on John Burr Williams, and was intended to structure investment approach and improve performance. The "academic" definition which IMO should be read as the marketing definition was intended to create ancillary layers of advisory fee streams in the much more marketing intensive modern environment.

I am agnostic as to whether there is enduring value in academic finance beyond option theory and things of that sort, but I am sure that old time value investing will make money over the cycle, and not get you killed. And I have read J. Finance, etc. etc. off and on for years, so I am not unacquainted with the academic ideas.

I also believe that there are flaws in benchmarking performace to some index or another. For example, say you are a mountaineer planning a long dangerous ascent. Basically you can go light, which means faster- but at a risk should adversity strike while you are on the mountain. Or you can go in slower, but more covered fashion.

If the weather stays nice, the guys who go light reach the peak quicker. But should a storm arise, they may die. Should the guys who carried more safety gear be judged against the clear-weather ascent of the Go-Lightlies?

IMO, no.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

page 563, appendix: The New Speculation in Common Stocks first read 1973 in the 4th ed of Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor.

In 1989 the light bulb sort of came on (so I'm a block head) - started buying and dollar cost averaging DRIP plan stocks from the middle of Moody's Handbook of Dividend Achievers(Mergent later bought this out).

erratic 8% - via 3-5% div.'s and spin offs, cash buyouts, mergers with cash kickers etc. 1989 - 2007. Down to 33 from a peak of over 50 DRIP's(two file cabinets). hormones like drugs are hard to kick. 40% of income some early years of ER.

1957 Speech is often overlooked when talking about Ben - skip all that fancy value/margin of safety crap - buy some middle way businesses that you know what they do and keep them. That way you avoid the magic, mystery and manipulation - boring but it works.

Yawn - so ok - maybe the Pats do have a good football team.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:39 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Good? GOOD?!?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 08:42 AM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Do you live in the Palace at Versailles?

Ha
No, just an apartment in the city, it's a good spot popular with tourists.
And everything's close by so I don't have a car and I've always lived below my means.
niknah is offline   Reply With Quote