Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 08:29 PM   #61
Gone but not forgotten
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 11,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Is it going to work on 6 months between cleanings.
Yes , It cleaned my soap scum that had been building for eons .
Moemg is offline  
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 291
Poker
MrLoco is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:24 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Great Wide Open
Posts: 2,832
Fresh, ripe vitis vinifera grapes from California. Was able to snag about 750# quality cab sauv, petite syrah, and sangiovese. However, I am looking for some different varieties of local apple juice/cider for my yeasties to consume!
Winemaker is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:55 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,407
Glad to hear that some CA grapes survived the wildfires. I wonder if the mature (25-80 years old) vines are tough enough to get through the fires and go back to producing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Fresh, ripe vitis vinifera grapes from California. Was able to snag about 750# quality cab sauv, petite syrah, and sangiovese. However, I am looking for some different varieties of local apple juice/cider for my yeasties to consume!
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
It involved a mannequin hand, and an electric shaver taped to a golf club! - "The Other Guys"
Amethyst is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 7,451
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Anything made by Apple.

Otherwise, not much really.
getting our 8 Plus today! We do not consider this an Achilles heal. Just a good device choice.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Lsbcal's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: west coast, hi there!
Posts: 7,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
getting our 8 Plus today! We do not consider this an Achilles heal. Just a good device choice.
I've been looking at this too. Comparing it to Pixel 2 XL which is similar sized. Google is well ahead in it's voice recognition which makes me hesitate on the iPhone 8 Plus. But I read that the Google Assistant can be loaded onto the iPhone 8. I guess the Google software (like Google Maps) is available on the iPhone so not really an issue.

On my iPad, I notice some voice recognition problems but am unclear if this is partly a microphone issue that is maybe better on an iPhone. To me, voice recognition is really key as typing on a tiny keyboard is a pain (maybe not for teenagers).

During the recent fires in our area, the smartphone was our only communication source (web and TV were out). This is a really important point that I would urge others to think about. And remember to buy a car phone charger and test it. And remember to upload some critical docs to the cloud storage.
Lsbcal is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #67
Moderator
rodi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 12,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Health insurance.
This sums it up for me. I worry about the hyper inflation of health care costs... Seems like premiums going up 25%/year is unsustainable... But what are you going to do?
__________________
Retired June 2014. No longer an enginerd - now I'm just a nerd.
micro pensions 6%, rental income 20%
rodi is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 221
ditto on healthcare. Pulling the plug next year at age 39, married no kids, but the 25 year uncertainty in healthcare is possibly the biggest wildcard, only rivaled by potential large investment swings.
seabourne is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: The Great Wide Open
Posts: 2,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Glad to hear that some CA grapes survived the wildfires. I wonder if the mature (25-80 years old) vines are tough enough to get through the fires and go back to producing.
The biggest threat to these old or ancient vines is the marketplace. Hundreds of acres of old vine zinfandel and other varieties are getting pulled up because of the thirst for Cabernet Sauvignon, which can command prices of $6000/ton, whereas the other varieties may only price at $2,000/ton.

Do you want 20 cent divvy or a 60 cent? It's a shame but money talks.

I do have a 30 gallon barrel of OVZ in storage, aging quite nicely.
Winemaker is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 02:17 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 581
Mine is losing income and j*bs in the past by needing to speak my mind. My unwillingness to suck up is my financial Achilles.
__________________
Saved 8 figures by my mid-40's as a professional bubble-spotter. Beware...the Fed creates bubble after bubble after bubble.
RenoJay is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
youbet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
Do you have a financial Achilles' heel? For example, I had thought that I was pretty resistant to pleas for money from certain relatives. No, I won't co-sign a loan, no I'm not buying that, you want it you buy it yourself. (I'm not talking about normal expenses when raising a family, and would have kicked in if my or DH's parents needed support - they were good parents and not spendthrifts).

I am the financial hardnose in the family. I reign in DH who has a soft heart and would empty his bank account buying gifts (not necessities) for grown kiddos and me.

Oldest son (an adult) got me though. A call from the vet's office, DGD (grand dog) ate a beer can, not enough money to cover the surgery, put the surgery on parents' card or dog dies. Not to mention the $ we spent (unsuccessfully) trying to save our sweet kitty this month, but I can't regret that.

So, do you have a financial Achilles' heel?
I'm a softie in lots of areas but helping folks who are in financial need due to over-spending on pets is not one of them. After decades of critters around the house, we're now happily FIRE'd and pet-free.

I understand the love and attachment. But I don't understand voluntarily creating the obligation if you can't afford it.
__________________
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta/Ontario/ Arizona
Posts: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
Mine is losing income and j*bs in the past by needing to speak my mind. My unwillingness to suck up is my financial Achilles.
Some people call it sucking up, others might call it being a team player, depends. I also had a reputation for speaking my mind, but always with respect and from managements perspective. Otherwise it’s just complaining. Didn’t hurt my career.
Danmar is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:10 AM   #73
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 7,451
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I've been looking at this too. Comparing it to Pixel 2 XL which is similar sized. Google is well ahead in it's voice recognition which makes me hesitate on the iPhone 8 Plus. But I read that the Google Assistant can be loaded onto the iPhone 8. I guess the Google software (like Google Maps) is available on the iPhone so not really an issue.

On my iPad, I notice some voice recognition problems but am unclear if this is partly a microphone issue that is maybe better on an iPhone. To me, voice recognition is really key as typing on a tiny keyboard is a pain (maybe not for teenagers).

During the recent fires in our area, the smartphone was our only communication source (web and TV were out). This is a really important point that I would urge others to think about. And remember to buy a car phone charger and test it. And remember to upload some critical docs to the cloud storage.
Yes I think there is not much to choose anymore. I have a good friend who is an Android bigot and was going on about all the things he could with Google Maps. I said that we had all that function on iPhone with Google.

Paying attention to what is stored in the cloud is crucial.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 10:35 AM   #74
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
jollystomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,868
Healthcare it is for me as well. While I would get slightly subsided premiums from Megacorp when I retire, it will still be our largest and most unpredictable budget item.
__________________
FIREd date: June 26, 2018 - wwwwwwhat a rush!
jollystomper is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 11:34 AM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 10,407
wow, that is too bad. When we stayed at a winery in Tuscany, the owners (who were no kids themselves) told us that their grandparents had put in the oldest vines which, at 80 years old, were producing some of the best wine on the farm (sangiovese was their specialty). They said that while you can get decent wine from 3-5-year old vines, it really takes 25 years for the vines to get going. It made an impression on me (obviously). They also said the very old vines are not quite as productive in terms of quantity, so I guess that would be additional incentive to pull up old vines to make more room for quantity producers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
The biggest threat to these old or ancient vines is the marketplace. Hundreds of acres of old vine zinfandel and other varieties are getting pulled up because of the thirst for Cabernet Sauvignon, which can command prices of $6000/ton, whereas the other varieties may only price at $2,000/ton.

Do you want 20 cent divvy or a 60 cent? It's a shame but money talks.

I do have a 30 gallon barrel of OVZ in storage, aging quite nicely.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
It involved a mannequin hand, and an electric shaver taped to a golf club! - "The Other Guys"
Amethyst is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 12:21 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets
Nightcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Brewster
Posts: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Anything made by Apple.

Otherwise, not much really.
+1
Nightcap is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #77
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
flintnational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta Suburb
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Buying old cars, fixing them up and selling them for less than I have in them. Sounds foolish, but it keeps me occupied and out of the bars.

I am looking for a 61-65 IH Scout. Can you buy one fix it up and sell it to me? Sounds like we would both enjoy the transaction.

Seriously, I understand. I fish on the coast. I think my per pound cost for the catch is probably around $75 per pound. Fixing up cars might be a cheaper hobby.

FN
__________________
"Oh, twice as much ain't twice as good
And can't sustain like one half could
It's wanting more that's gonna send me to my knees" - John Mayer
flintnational is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #78
Full time employment: Posting here.
cbo111's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
moemg: i read your post this afternoon, got right up and prepared a spray bottle with your special recipe (yeah/yeah, i need to get a life)...but, you are so right....IT WORKS!!! How i made it to wayyyy the far side of half a century old without knowing about this amazing Dawn/vinegar magic is beyond me - thanks so much for sharing, this is BIG!


I use the dawn/vinegar spray for weeds on my long paver walkways. I can spray in the morning and see the weeds melting by the end of the day. Much better for the environment than Roundup.
cbo111 is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 07:49 PM   #79
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: North of Montana
Posts: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Some people call it sucking up, others might call it being a team player, depends. I also had a reputation for speaking my mind, but always with respect and from managements perspective. Otherwise it’s just complaining. Didn’t hurt my career.
I have a similar experience. One VP i reported to wanted "yes men", I didn't qualify. I remember one day getting supreme sh!t from my VP for saying something he didn't agree with to the CEO. Later, the CEO told everyone how nice it was to have honest peons. My career slowed a bit. A year or so later, said VP was 'out' and the new guy (not me) was singing my praises for (among other things) honesty and being able to translate "geek talk to English".

\EDit to add:

To get back on topic, I spend too much on tools, old British cars and grandchildren. But, WTF, I can afford all three.
__________________
There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate conclusions from insufficient data and ..
kumquat is offline  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:18 PM   #80
Gone but not forgotten
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 11,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I use the dawn/vinegar spray for weeds on my long paver walkways. I can spray in the morning and see the weeds melting by the end of the day. Much better for the environment than Roundup.
Thanks , Our paver weeds drive us nuts !
Moemg is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bone spurs on my heel Golden sunsets Health and Early Retirement 13 03-21-2017 12:16 PM
Achilles rupture SJ1_ Health and Early Retirement 11 01-04-2016 09:20 PM
Heel Spurs and Plantar Fasciitis spncity Health and Early Retirement 30 06-13-2014 10:22 AM
achilles injury ripper1 Health and Early Retirement 1 11-05-2012 04:11 PM
heel spur 73ss454 Health and Early Retirement 14 08-25-2007 06:25 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.