Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #81
Dryer sheet wannabe

I second that thank you......& much much much less expensive than Roundup, too!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2017, 09:32 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Some people call it sucking up, others might call it being a team player, depends. I also had a reputation for speaking my mind, but always with respect and from managements perspective. Otherwise it’s just complaining. Didn’t hurt my career.

I always disagreed with respect unless I was dealing with a narcissist or power-tripper (people who sometimes end up in management) in which case I’d let my feelings out no holds barred!
Old 10-26-2017, 01:26 PM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm under 1 year till FIRE but my biggest worries are a market crash, healthcare cost, and performance of my company stock until I'm fully paid out. That will be 10 years and it's a pretty good chunk of money. My plan is that I'm still good if it drops 50%. Now if the market did the same I would probably not sleep well at night.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:33 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After thinking about this, I'd say ours is wanting to live on the beach in So CA. We could have a much less expensive lifestyle if we lived in the Southeast or the Midwest but then we wouldn't have the CA outdoor lifestyle we love. Almost everything is more expensive in So CA, and the political climate is not favorable for those who own nice properties (measures keep passing that increase property taxes; ours are up 30+% in the last 3 years) or have higher incomes (double digit state income tax rates plus a 10.25% sales tax where we live). We hope to live in So CA for the rest of our lives, and worked an extra 3-5 years to fund this. If costs get too out of hand, Plan B is to move but we hope this will never be necessary. I suppose if it does, we can evaluate moving a bit inland compared to moving out of state but we'd rather not do either.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:38 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
After thinking about this, I'd say ours is wanting to live on the beach in So CA. We could have a much less expensive lifestyle if we lived in the Southeast or the Midwest but then we wouldn't have the CA outdoor lifestyle we love. Almost everything is more expensive in So CA, and the political climate is not favorable for those who own nice properties (measures keep passing that increase property taxes; ours are up 30+% in the last 3 years) or have higher incomes (double digit state income tax rates plus a 10.25% sales tax where we live). We hope to live in So CA for the rest of our lives, and worked an extra 3-5 years to fund this. If costs get too out of hand, Plan B is to move but we hope this will never be necessary. I suppose if it does, we can evaluate moving a bit inland compared to moving out of state but we'd rather not do either.
Shouldn't your property taxes be capped at 2% increase per year with Prop 13?
Old 10-26-2017, 05:06 PM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
Our property taxes up here in the Bay Area don't seem to go up much each year. We're only paying about a third of a percent property tax rate based on current market valuations.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post

This is true only when voters don't approve propositions. Several propositions have passed in the last few years, funding everything from schools, parks, roads/public transit, and other infrastructure. Many of these were funded via property taxes. However the majority of people in CA are not property owners. They vote for measures supporting all of these noble causes knowing it won't cost them a dime.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:11 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Our property taxes up here in the Bay Area don't seem to go up much each year. We're only paying about a third of a percent property tax rate based on current market valuations.

Nice for you. Not true for us - it's around four times that. LA County is big on property tax funded measures. Do you not have that issue in the Bay Area?
Old 10-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #89

Any new tech products, such as the latest thing I've acquired, a SONOS system.

Also travel...
Old 10-27-2017, 10:03 AM   #90

Quote:
This is true only when voters don't approve propositions. Several propositions have passed in the last few years, funding everything from schools, parks, roads/public transit, and other infrastructure. Many of these were funded via property taxes. However the majority of people in CA are not property owners. They vote for measures supporting all of these noble causes knowing it won't cost them a dime.
Is this really true? Presumably the majority of the people that don't own property pay rent to someone that owns the property they live in. I'm pretty sure that the someone that owns the rental property will increase rents to cover this increase in costs ergo, everyone ends up paying more. Of course, the proposals are never presented this way on the ballots
Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 AM   #91

My financial Achilles heel is myself...I'm the only one that keeps me from doing stupid financial stuff that would totally obliterate what I've accomplished over a lifetime. I'm only one sit down meal with a charismatic master financial con man(woman) away from disaster...
Old 10-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #92
Recycles dryer sheets

Trying to learn how finally spend our savings - its very hard thing to do after saving for so many years.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nice for you. Not true for us - it's around four times that. LA County is big on property tax funded measures. Do you not have that issue in the Bay Area?
I don't know if there are other counties where it is a big issue, it hasn't been for us over several decades of home ownership. Our local property tax rate would be higher for recent buyers not benefiting from Prop 13 but that is true in every county.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 10-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #94

Tools
Old 10-29-2017, 07:00 AM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemartin88 View Post
Tools
Hey!

You may not like some of the comments on this thread but there is no need to be rude...
Old 10-29-2017, 07:12 AM   #96

I think my Achilles heel is my unwillingness to concentrate assets, even when it makes sense. That, and my love of freedom.

It's why I haven't bought a house even when it was financially smart to do and fiscally stimulated, and why I broke away from employment in a high-pressure/high-reward all-consuming job even if doing it for a few more years would have changed my net worth likely with a multiple.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:31 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Is this really true? Presumably the majority of the people that don't own property pay rent to someone that owns the property they live in. I'm pretty sure that the someone that owns the rental property will increase rents to cover this increase in costs ergo, everyone ends up paying more. Of course, the proposals are never presented this way on the ballots
No. Not everybody. Think rent controlled, Sec. 8, mixed income housing, NYCHA, and local subsidies. The higher earners are frequently either subsidizing or completely carrying the tab. Sometimes when you're working 70 hours a week and paying half your income in taxes, the load seems a bit heavy . . . Hence, I suppose, a motivation for some for (early) retirement.
Old 10-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
No. Not everybody. Think rent controlled, Sec. 8, mixed income housing, NYCHA, and local subsidies. The higher earners are frequently either subsidizing or completely carrying the tab. Sometimes when you're working 70 hours a week and paying half your income in taxes, the load seems a bit heavy . . . Hence, I suppose, a motivation for some for (early) retirement.
I hadn't realized the NYCHA ( New York City Housing Authority) owned housing in California (the post I was responding to mentioned CA property taxes) but I guess I stand corrected and I commend the NYCHA for absorbing those additional costs in California- very thoughtful of them
Old 10-30-2017, 12:25 PM   #99

Quote:
I hadn't realized the NYCHA ( New York City Housing Authority) owned housing in California (the post I was responding to mentioned CA property taxes) but I guess I stand corrected and I commend the NYCHA for absorbing those additional costs in California- very thoughtful of them

While theoretically yes most people other than homeless & Sec 8 folks end up absorbing costs in the long run, I don't think the average person connects the dots as there is not the same immediate impact to them if they are renters. Asking people if they want more funding for schools, parks, public transit, etc. with no immediate need for them to pay for it usually gets voted in, at least in LA County. If the ballot said: do you support a 20% increase in your monthly housing costs to support schools, parks, etc., I have to believe fewer of these measures would pass.

But so far, we continue to put up with this because we love the lifestyle.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #100

Quote:

As a NY State tax payer, I find it plausible.