what is your nestegg's YTD return?

How can I calculate my YTD? I don't track on a monthly basis, but I max my TSP and so far this year have contributed $12124. My earnings not including my contributions are up $19526. Balance on 1/1/12 was $135,600, on 6/30/12 was $167,250. I have attempted to do some of the dreaded market timing this year, going from very risky to very safe. Sometimes it worked out pretty good, like yesterday, other times, not so good, but overall I think not too bad.

You've done well. Your return was 19,526. Your average investment is the beginning of year balance of 135,600 plus 1/2 of your contributions for the year, or 141,662 (assuming that contributions were made evenly throughout the first half of the year). The appreciation of 19,526 divided by 141,662 is 13.8% but that is only for 1/2 a year, so converted to an annualized rate it would be about 29.8%. 29.8% ~ (1.138*1.138)-1

+20.4% YTD. DW's company stock did very well during the first half.

YTD 4.4% (not annualized). Guess I'm an underachiever...

Last edited:
YTD 5.2% with 80% stock (30% Lg, 25% mid/small, 25% foreign), 15% bond, and 5% REIT mix. Have about 55% conventional and 45% index mix. Weighted average expenses = 0.44%.

Disappointing that I didn't beat the S&P 500 Index...

Last edited:
7.6% YTD after taking out enough to live on and paying those evil wrap fees.

So far this year I'm up about 10.1%, which is nothing to sneeze at. I'm down a bit off my high for the year though. I had peaked out in April, when I was up about 15%. But, easy come easy go, and May saw to that, when I gave up about 2/3 of that gain.

I'm a bit heavy in APPL, FUN, and AGNC, which has probably been skewing things in my favor a bit.

FWIW, around this time last year I was up about 9%. But mid/late July and August were not kind months to me, and I finished the year of 2011 flat.

Last edited:
Hmmm...better than I thought: 65/30/5 allocation, up 6.0%. My target AA is 60/35/5, but I didn't rebalance this year, and I've been diverting all contributions to stock funds. I'm a bit hesitant to rebalance given the current bond market; I know...it's market timing.

6.64% ytd

5.6% YTD 90% equities 10% bonds

Almost all the equities are index funds.

>:D Up lots more since the start of this thread.

For someone at Vanguard I can't find a way to determine YTD percentage. There is a report that gives a one year % and for YTD you can get the actual dollar amount but not a percentage.

In our case, the amount we have there has gone down considerably since the beginning of the year (we bought a house for cash) so I have no clue on how to figure the return when there have been withdrawals from the portfolio.

My Fido 401K is +5.6% year to date, roughly a 60/40 AA. Haven't gotten around to calculating the change in the Schwab accounts but I think it's close to the same.

Should we start over? Because

>:D Up lots more since the start of this thread.

+1

Smells like a wh*** to me - especially when you bring out the dancing emoticons!

That goes to prove that even if the OP post reads like a Wh***, uses an emoticon like a Wh***, it is still not an authentic Wh***.

Fear no false Wh***. Party on!

Last edited:
For someone at Vanguard I can't find a way to determine YTD percentage. There is a report that gives a one year % and for YTD you can get the actual dollar amount but not a percentage.

In our case, the amount we have there has gone down considerably since the beginning of the year (we bought a house for cash) so I have no clue on how to figure the return when there have been withdrawals from the portfolio.
I went to accounts & activities then clicked on "compare to year end balances" and found my percentage. I was pleased that it was 4.2.

The handy Schwab portfolio performance tool tells me I am up 8.04% for the year. This is on a time weighted basis. It doesn't include the 75K in PenFed CD with average interest rates of 4.2%

The easiest way is to add any withdrawals to the final value and then compare to the starting value. That's close enough.

I used to compare notes with a close friend at work about our daily market performance. It was fun because while I tried to diversify, he just piled on to precious metals, gold, silver, uranium, and the like. And he held a lot of cash, waiting for a big market crash so he could invest.

So, on one exceptionally good market day, he said he was up something like 4% that day, while I was very happy with around 1.5%.

I protested. "How can that be? You last said you still had 75% in cash."

He said "I was referring to my stock portion only."

Me: "Pfft. My number was based on the whole portfolio."

He replied "But my number proves that my stock picks are GOOD!".

Then, there are days when the whole market went up, but he went down! He concurred with me that his portfolio had a "negative" beta.

Last edited:
The easiest way is to add any withdrawals to the final value and then compare to the starting value. That's close enough.

OK if I do that the total overall for the YTD is about 6.18%.

401(k):
FBALX: 4.32%
FFTHX: 10.24%
PTTDX: 5.14%

Roth:
8.93%

I'm thrilled to report that I'm on the cusp of another big (for me) retirement milestone. My 401(k) is a few hundred dollars away from six figures!!! And my biweekly contribution on Friday should make it happen unless the market goes down. Even if it does, I'll remind myself that I'm buying my retirement in sale. :)

Back
Top Bottom